"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 10, 2024, 03:09:46 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Loner trait  (Read 9378 times)

JovankaB

Loner trait
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:02:18 pm »

OK I don't do the close test but from what I heard there is a new trait called "Loner". And apparently it works in a way that you get 10% more experience. Probably someone thought people with 20 one-purpose alts have too difficult life in this game... So I have a suggestion, either:

1. Change the trait name to "Alter", at least it will be accurate.

or

2. Change the way the trait works, to make it actually useful for hardcore loners, not hardcore alters. For example:

- You can't tag people (or people tag you, basically it would have no effect), which would mean you can't travel in groups, join a gang, visit bases/tents of other people... true loner!)
- But your level cap is increased by 3.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:16:11 pm by JovankaB »

wladimiiir

• Rotator
  • Independent FOnline developer
Re: Loner trait
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »

I agree with you. I am a loner player, but I would not take this trait, because it does not give me any benefit (except of getting my max level one day earlier). I really like "increase level cap by 3" idea. Thats fits to loner perfectly (as he has no people support).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:34:42 pm by Mike Wall »

avv

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:07:53 pm »

- You can't tag people (or people tag you, basically it would have no effect), which would mean you can't travel in groups, join a gang, visit bases/tents of other people... true loner!)

I had basically this in mind while discussing in the last post: can't join factions. But it's not going to work.

- But your level cap is increased by 3.

I beleave the outcome would be horde of loner alts harnessed for pvp purposes. Can't do tc? Bah, the apes will figure it out. 3 extra levels isn't something they are ready to forget. Doesn't even have to be 3 levels but basically anything pvp related and they will drool after it and abuse anything to reach it.

If something would work then it'd be removing names above heads and not allowing bases. That way the loner would really be alone among unknown players or npcs. Not even mumble would help because combat is so messy.

EDIT: another way would be to grant support ability as a tradeoff instead of pvp abilities. Hell, it should be common sense in traits to not hand away support abilities for pvp abilities. ::Hint:: Small frame, Bonehead and Skilled.
So for giving away the ability to have a base, the char would for example have higher carryweight or bonuses to repair, science and OD.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:14:19 pm by avv »
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:43:24 pm »

Yes, I wasn't too happy with this one. I was hoping someone would suggest something better. I think rather than raising the cap by 3 levels, which would be a big advantage, it could be something like a free level 3 perk when you start.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:43:31 pm »

Brilliant idea.

lvl 3 perk is not worth it for such harsh malus.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:25:50 pm »

Could be outdoorsman related as it prohibits taxi usage (like faster movement on map or whatever).
More like +x OD when alone, -2x OD when in party.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:29:49 pm by Johnnybravo »
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

JovankaB

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 07:42:23 pm »

Could be outdoorsman related as it prohibits taxi usage (like faster movement on map or whatever).
More like +x OD when alone, -2x OD when in party.

It could be outdoorsman related, but your second proposition doesn't make sense if I understood it correctly. When in party you don't need OD (unless you are the leader). So there would be no negative side of this trait unless you are a taxi build and taxi builds wouldn't take it because of -2xOD.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:58:35 pm by JovankaB »

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:55 pm »

If it is penalty for whole party it can work.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »

Brilliant idea.

lvl 3 perk is not worth it for such harsh malus.

Yet, if you are playing a loner it is no malus at all.

JovankaB

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »

Never, ever being able to join a gang, trade on worldmap, go with some people somewhere or share a tent/base isn't a malus?
In theory yea, but if you are never ever doing it, you are penalizing yourself already.
Even loners take a taxi sometime if they have such opportunity, or visit friends' base.
And it's additional penalty for "loners" who basically play one character with many alts.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:09:23 pm by JovankaB »

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:05:41 pm »

Let's keep the negative effect at not being able to be in a party or join a faction.

As for the positive, I think one option is that you start with a dog companion who is yours forever (I keep picturing that photo of Mad Max and his dog). You travel 10% faster on the WM and your dog provides Awareness for you?

"It's you and your dog against the world. You can't join others, but your dog keeps watch and helps you navigate the wasteland."

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:08:26 pm »

Things are not a malus if you will already avoid them - hopefully we will make trading on the world map not needed so much anyway.

I like the free dog companion idea :)

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 08:08:43 pm »

Almost every trait, perk or feature can be used by these nasty PvP apes, I heard there are even BG sneakers. Let's leave that "argument", shall we?

For now Loner is useless as it is (to keep classic quote alive). To make it useful, we need to answer one important question - what solo player needs? Higher combat skill? Not much. Higher barter skill? Kinda. Higher "crafting" skills, to get rid of alts? Yes.
So in my not humble opinion Loner should work like a decent bonus for Science, Repair, Outdoorsman, maybe even Barter, maybe even ability to set a Ranger Camp without having a Ranger perk. I mean hell, you resign from having any in-game friends or gang mates, you can't join any group, you can't buy a base, you have to be self-sufficient Mad Max Wannabe wastelander, no alts required. That's real sacrifice in multiplayer game.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

JovankaB

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 08:10:52 pm »

Things are not a malus if you will already avoid them

The malus is you can't break the rule, and it's a rather harsh rule.
You can say the same about most (if not all) traits. If you never carry more than 20, small frame isn't a malus, and so on.

I have played loners (or semi-loners), I know if you play actively there are plenty of situations when you would hate that you took this trait, even as a loner. You met some cool people, they go hunting, oh crap - you can't join them  ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:20:41 pm by JovankaB »

gr1m055

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 04:44:35 am »

All this trait does is make it where you can't have any followers and gain 10% experience more. So basically if you have 10 cha or 1 cha you cannot taxi anybody and can't have mercs but you can still join groups and be taxied.

I think its like a role play trait or if you want to level faster but I have never seen 10% more experience ever be of any use. So for example a mutated molerat instead of 300exp you get 310 experience. I see this as the anti-tent follower perk or maybe it well level a tad bit faster but not by much. Its a useless trait if you ask me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:54:52 am by gr1m055 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.