"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 29, 2024, 12:42:28 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FOnline: Tactics ;) - tournament server ideas  (Read 5954 times)

FOnline: Tactics ;) - tournament server ideas
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:08:45 am »

When (hopefully) FOnline server will be released i want to create PvP tournament server, based on the rules of FOnline 2238

I want to gather good ideas about what should such server look like.

Here is my basic idea (this is referenced to current 2238 rules)

Disclaimer: i don't know if all changes mentioned are possible with the scripting API provided by the engine.

Basic Rules:
- Server is aimed at tournament fights between organised gangs in equal teams.
- The point of tournament would be to take control of the town, but on slightly modified terms.
- Round time: 30-60 minutes
- Worldmap with one town and two bases.
- Every player starts at level 1, experience is gained through crafting, killing players from opposite team and gained over time in amount that would allow every player to gain final (24th) level after 50 minutes.
- Corpses not lootable, after player dies equipment is lost (or maybe give some limited time for your team to reclaim some part of it).

Town Control Rules:
- Town Control is possible from the 10th minute after round start.
- Control is gained by placing at least 30% players of your team in some radius from particular point in the town.
- Number of player in that radius have to be somewhat higher than number of players from opposite team in that radius.
- Town control time accumulates until one team reaches 20 minutes of control.
- If no team reaches 20 minutes of control within 60 minutes the winner is the team which accumulated more control time.

Skills:
- Unfortunately skills other than medical/combat/crafting would be useless on this server
- Somehow try to make Sneak useful and balanced

Resource Gathering:
- Limited source of resources in every base (thus allowing to craft basic stuff)
- To gather specific resource you must enter location on the worldmap - every such location will appear on the worldmap after entering (like caravans/cars).
- Resource sources on location will be accessible some time after entering (60 seconds?)
- Cooldowns for resource gathering adjusted for 60min round, amount depending on gatherer skill

Equipment Crafting:
- The teams decide what equipment will be allowed before the match.
- Professions removed, requirements for professions moved to item crafting requirements.
- Cooldowns for crafting adjusted for 60min round, depending on crafter skills (like pre-wipe).

Grid/Worldmap Camping (hopefully this changes would move the fight to inner part of the town):
- No entrance preview.
- Many entrances to town.
- Cooldown on entering town again after exiting it - or maybe only entering through other entrances than you exited it.
- Entering timeout during which you cannot attack nor be attacked (like pre-wipe). When exiting town during this timeout no cooldown on entering again.

Other Things:
- Maybe some lockers in town for each team, accessible only by team members to store ammo or spare equipment.

I would like to hear from you which of these ideas seems reasonable, and which are bullshit.
Also please post your ideas - what would be useful on such server and how can other skills be used.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:31:30 pm by Misiolap »
Re: FOnline: Tactics ;)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:28:37 am »

Sounds pretty cool i suppose :P
▐ Nïghtkin▐

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:33:03 am »

Why include exp and crafting at all? Just put the timeouts to 0 and make everyone able to craft everything from the get-go, make every faction base cost nothing and require a few guys to create it, include every resource in the base and make a script giving you instant 210 000 exp on character spawn (instant 21 lvl) and deleting your character after a week to prevent lags. Remove the encounters, make travel speed somewhat ridiculous and have GMs lock the locations when the match starts. That'd make it a PvP only server best suited for that kind of play - and it wouldn't really require any grinding to have some good ol' shoot'em up time. It'd be more or less like Fallout Tactics - no strategic aspect, pure tactical combat.

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:15:25 am »

Why include exp and crafting at all?

It's interesting experiment to make, it will show what impact economy and crafting has on items usability. Without that aspect, only pure item parameters would count (and not effort and time put in making them etc). So I'm pretty sure it may result in different balance.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 05:21:15 pm »

@Nice_Boat

I don't want to recreate Fallout: Tactics, but i want to include not only tactical, but also some strategical aspects, like you have to put enough people into resource gathering and equipment creation and coordinate raids/defense of resource spots, and make people use some hybrid fighter/crafter builds, unlike on 2238 where most people use alts for crafting and pure pvp builds for maximum efficiency in combat.

The idea is to balance it in a way that will make hybrid builds as efficient as pure pvp builds (because of better equipment carried by hybrid team -  probably some people will choose playing dual log with one pure pvp build and one pure crafter - but there goes resource gathering, where you can be raided by opposite team, which could have more "fighting" characters in such scenario). The balance is essential and i think it needs some experiments to be achieved.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:25:06 pm by Misiolap »

gordulan

• General Animosity
Re: FOnline: Tactics ;) - tournament server ideas
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:20:52 pm »

maybe up the requirements for resource gathering as well, just so that people will not just use combat characters to gather resources and have their crafter alts at bases.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:18:47 am »

That will be matter of balance and tactics taken by the team.

Since the match will have fixed number of players, and the teams will be equal leaving some no-fighting chars in base should put some disadvantage in the fight for that team.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 08:49:17 pm »

This thread just makes me want to play Tactics online now.

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:23:00 am »

only problem is that there are no public servers anymore... (you mean fallout tactics, right?)

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 05:42:14 pm »

Why bother when you can just play tactics which is more suited to that kind of gameplay?

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.