"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 09, 2024, 12:33:28 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Roleplaying in FOnline:2238  (Read 49968 times)

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
Roleplaying in FOnline:2238
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:49:23 pm »

After some time using and only finding lots of not-too-serious posts, I have come to the conclusion that I can post a whole new topic about this.

What is your personal view of the roleplaying opportunities in this game? Note, that this is not only about "it's possible/it's not possible in this game", but instead I would like to know how you would deal with stuff like builds and alting if you were roleplaying.

Would you only use one character?
Would you use one "true" (RP) character backed up by many different crafter/miner/farmer alts?
Would you "divide" one character personality in different alts, so each alt incarnates one of your characters abilities? (as in, having one SG crippler alt, one SG crafter alt, and one slaver alt, so you can roleplay a "slaver gunsmith with an impressive marksmanship")
Would you try to make a build that reflected your character's concept/personality, or would you make some especialized, minimaxed, efficient build no matter what your character's personality is?

Hopefully we will get answers from players who'd participated in different RP projects :)

Surf

• это моё.
Re: Roleplaying in FOnline:2238
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:04:49 pm »

The game, as it right now, is simply not a good platform for proper roleplaying. For one, the really hectic and stressfull gameplay ( realtime ) simply doesnt allow elaborate conversations, preparations etc. It is even worse for a GM having to oversee too much stuff at once, control several npc, type commands, weed out troublemakers etc. Furthermore, the realtime nature goes completely against all Pen and Paper roots. Every DM/GM would be skinned alive if (s)he would try to pullover a crappy hectic realtime mode on the table. Last but not least, the community itself poses a problem and hinders traditional ropeplaying sessions by either 1) most of the players not even knowing what proper roleplaying is and thus taking away the shared base of knowledge each player should have and contribute, 2) children who think that ruining fun and effort of serious players is fun and 3) the more PvP centered gameplay.

In short - proper roleplaying is not possible on this server, it is only frustrating for players, aswell as GMs. The game only penalizes roleplaying and rewards troublemakers.

I hate to say that, but if you look for a nice Pen and Paper Session Emulation with proper traditional DM/GMing in the Fallou. universe, this is sadly not the right place.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:07:11 pm by Surf »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »

Note, that this is not only about "it's possible/it's not possible in this game", but instead I would like to know how you would deal with stuff like builds and alting if you were roleplaying.
C'mon surf.  You can read.

I would still minmax all my builds.  It simply is too hard to play without doing this.

I would definitely use 1 rp character, and at all times i would look around for someone who can do it for the character such as friends or employing random people.
ex. hiring miners, crafters, or making trade runs on npcs.

No way I would deal with so much personality in one character.  I occassionaly slip up with just one kind of profession such as my slaver when he hires mercs being a slaver it's kind of odd how i don't have any slaves no?

I've participated in self-made rp events and Sarmatians project.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:21:22 pm by Michaelh139 »
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Evan

• The dead are never aplenty enough.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:25:52 pm »

I tend to have an image of my chars when I play them regardless of their purpose. Expressing it is another thing.

Yeah, people shoot first, type after. I do the same in many occasion, and most of the time if I tell people that I'm from Reno, mostly I get a 'lol'. But I had some fun conversations. Mostly on my thief - real interactive playstile.  ;)

On the other hand, that forum looks a nice, and unused place to create some background for characters and factions. I wonder if there would be a demand for an rp dedicated subforum. The Graverobbers are fine with having our thread in the faction mudthrowing section, but a Pip-Forum would be fun.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:45:36 pm »

C'mon surf.  You can read.

I am sorry for pointing out why I dont even try roleplaying, the very subject of this thread, anymore. I hereby holeheartly apologize for the terrible deed to write a post you simply just had to reply with a oneliner. I hope, it did not do too much harm ti you, for I feel terribly sorry.

On the other hand, that forum looks a nice, and unused place to create some background for characters and factions. I wonder if there would be a demand for an rp dedicated subforum. The Graverobbers are fine with having our thread in the faction mudthrowing section, but a Pip-Forum would be fun.

There is already such a subforum, it's just not visible yet. I spent a lot of time to create a proper ruleset, some scenarios/modules and even created avatars for player characters and different races some months ago. Why it is not visible? I am being honest here, I am simppy too jaded and have been disappointed by the community too often. The files and sources are still there, so if one day a mod/GM wants to try it; (s)he and the players can use it.

Johnny Nuclear

• Rotator
  • hrmm
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:51:12 pm »

There is always place for at least  " small RP"
even with some PvP build when i encounter some RPing player somewhere i always like to RP with him, and it's kinda good.
Rockwell gold card owner.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:51:48 pm »

I am sorry for pointing out why I dont even try roleplaying, the very subject of this thread, anymore. I hereby holeheartly apologize for the terrible deed to write a post you simply just had to reply with a oneliner. I hope, it did not do too much harm ti you, for I feel terribly sorry.
You shouldn't be apologizing to me you should be apologizing to Eternauta.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:49:00 pm »

There is already such a subforum, it's just not visible yet. I spent a lot of time to create a proper ruleset, some scenarios/modules and even created avatars for player characters and different races some months ago. Why it is not visible? I am being honest here, I am simppy too jaded and have been disappointed by the community too often. The files and sources are still there, so if one day a mod/GM wants to try it; (s)he and the players can use it.

You know some of us would love it ;) Maybe there can be some system to prevent trolling/spam/"low quality"/etc. For example closed or semi-closed campaigns, and in order to participate in them one should send a PM with an "application" to a moderator who will read and evaluate it, and eventually let the applicant in/out. I honestly don't have that much roleplaying experience (played D&D a few times) so I'd understand if I was not allowed to play with more experienced roleplayers :P

You shouldn't be apologizing to me you should be apologizing to Eternauta.

If a player thinks this game doesn't allow any single little bit of opportunity for RP, I kinda understand he/she won't put effort in answering the other questions. I, of course, would like to know what Surf, or any other player who thinks the same as him, would answer, but it's not like they gotta apologize to me if they don't! :P

Evan

• The dead are never aplenty enough.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:55:34 am »

The files and sources are still there, so if one day a mod/GM wants to try it; (s)he and the players can use it.
You know some of us would love it ;)

Seems the time has come. I don't think rules should be overdone. Post in rp, don't post where you shouldn't. It would mean some extra work for you mods, but I bet it would be more fun than moderating like two guys who go 'NO U' for 4-5 pages.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 02:52:18 pm »

Roleplaying exists only if encouraged and revarded by GMs.

I played other MMO (NWN) on hardcore RP server which was also real time and also open PvP but GMs held long events almost every week. And there were about 60ppl online max. And it was nothing even close to fonlines favourite turret defense events. Usually some jurney around known dungeons with warious surprises added by GMs. Good RP was revarded in a way much better than if one would spend that time grinding and inapropriate behaviour during event usually led to ban or expelling from event. And everything was fine and hell of a fun.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 02:58:44 pm »

But creating and adding a map or a big location isn't as easy with the FOnline engine. It's lots of fiddle work + it requires a server restart if you want a bigger update to have an effect. You can't simply create a new location and add stuff inside it, unlike in, say, Ultima Online, which has really good GM tools. Also bugtesting a FOnline map is much more work-- fixing all the holes, adding blockers to scenery, etc.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 03:08:52 pm »

You are making it impossible in fact it isnt.Dont trust Lexx he is liar! :)

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 03:35:10 pm »

I am not making it impossible, it's just what it is: Hard to realize. Prove me wrong with creating a good looking location for ~60 players that can play on it, accompanied by a GM, for a normal evening. Almost every week.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:38:07 pm by Lexx »

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 05:52:12 pm »

I tend to keep each of my characters personalities separate, but then I usually don't alt unless I am testing a new build, which I usually only do in anticipation of a wipe anyway. However, I only really build characters who I have a personality in mind for and which I feel I can speak through and have fun with.

I usually like to keep my characters as smart as possible and I'm a big fan of the gifted trait. Since I don't alt the more my character can do the better and its totally worth sacrificing 2 perks for this. This is also why I tend not to build chars with a streamlined SPECIAL. I find that those types of characters are only good at a few things and can become boring very quickly if you are not alting.

Aside from that I just try to stay in character, it's the only way I know to attract other people who like to RP.

avv

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 06:48:35 pm »

Would you use one "true" (RP) character backed up by many different crafter/miner/farmer alts?
Would you "divide" one character personality in different alts, so each alt incarnates one of your characters abilities? (as in, having one SG crippler alt, one SG crafter alt, and one slaver alt, so you can roleplay a "slaver gunsmith with an impressive marksmanship")

I've got many alts and the roleplay explanation for changing alt is changing strategy and gear. So when I switch from sniper to bg, it simply means my character goes get a bg. Changing to sneak means that the char puts on ghillie and camo face paint.

Would you try to make a build that reflected your character's concept/personality, or would you make some especialized, minimaxed, efficient build no matter what your character's personality is?

I would never trade off immersion for effectiveness. If Brahmin Armor was the best armor in game, I'd use it.
It's up to the game to make the world such that effectiveness goes hand to hand with immersion. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:45:42 pm by avv »
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 19 queries.