"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 29, 2024, 07:45:52 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: .PNG for sprite overwrite  (Read 2164 times)

.PNG for sprite overwrite
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »

Hello, I'm trying to use .png files instead of .frm files to overwrite inventory sprites. I made a uzi.png along with a uzi.fofrm in "[Fonline directory]\data\art\inven" to replace the 10mm smg. It doesn't work, however. Just to make sure I was doing everything right, I converted the uzi.png to uzi.frm file and without any extra modification, it worked in the fonline client. Am I doing something wrong? If I use a .fofrm it will overwrite the original .frm files of the same name, right? Here's what I have in my uzi.fofrm:

Code: [Select]
fps=10
count=1

offs_x=0
offs_y=0

[dir_0]
frm_0=UZI.PNG

On top of this, I have another question about using .png instead of .frm. Right now my uzi.png uses the fallout pallete and "pure blue" as transparency. The .png files in the later faction004.zip don't use the fallout pallete, so they're higher resolution, and it also uses regular .png transparency instead of using "pure blue" for determining transparency. Is it possible to use .png files like this for replacing the old .frm files? That would make .png file replacements far superior imo since it's a much better transparency method.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:57:57 pm by Theta »

Surf

• это моё.
Re: .PNG for sprite overwrite
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:42 pm »

On top of this, I have another question about using .png instead of .frm. Right now my uzi.png uses the fallout pallete and "pure blue" as transparency. The .png files in the later faction004.zip don't use the fallout pallete, so they're higher resolution, and it also uses regular .png transparency instead of using "pure blue" for determining transparency. Is it possible to use .png files like this for replacing the old .frm files? That would make .png file replacements far superior imo since it's a much better transparency method.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The engine "eats" native .png transparency just fine, yes. You don't need to set the blue stuff in those files.

Doctor Eex

• TEE Hive Father
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:47:51 pm »

AFAIK engine will not use *.fofrm instead of *.frm automatically
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:57:39 pm »

Ah. In that case, how do I tell it to use those files?

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:40:40 am »

Go to FO2238config.exe, Data Files.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:50:48 am »

Go to FO2238config.exe, Data Files.

I tried putting the files in the correct location in a .zip file and loading it in the data files, but it doesn't fix the problem. I'm trying to overwrite the original UZI.FRM file with UZI.png and UZI.fofrm, but it doesn't want to cooperate.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:26:08 am »

Check out the item entry in the proto file. There should be a link to the inventory image inside. Change it to the *.png version and you are done. This only works if you have access to the server files, of course. Else you have to make it a frm.

Back in the days, every image file was registered in a respective *.lst file in the graphics folder. I. e. for the inven folder it was inven.lst. Now depending on how old your server version is, such a file could still exist-- in there somewhere is the *.frm file named. Change this to fofrm or png.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.