"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 09:15:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Gathering? Waiting?  (Read 29793 times)

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
Gathering? Waiting?
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:03:36 pm »

Just wanted to inform you that your input is still very much needed and valuable, though it may sometimes feel the other way. As usually, the blog post have been prepared (to emphasis it a little bit more than normal forum post):

http://fonline2238.blogspot.com/2011/08/gathering-waiting.html

Read, read!

falloutdude

• just some canadian guy
Re: Gathering? Waiting?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:06:03 pm »

ha i just read this 5 seconds before you posted it. :P
am glad you are putting more things in the dev blog. :)
Roaming the waste again.

Rynn

• Tim, Ted & Tom Lawyer Agency
    • TTTLA office
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:27:42 pm »

Thanks for Sharing your feeling/idea about the development of 2238.
As player, it's realy nice to see what will or could be the game in the future.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:35:28 pm »

I am for scavenging option but we also need some decent auction or marketplace to safely trade resources for those who want to craft but not grind resources or not all of them. See my suggestion http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=17827.0
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:44:39 pm »

As for scavenging, there should be encounters with goods, like : You encountered an abandonded mine or You encountered field of fruid guarded by mantis. So you would have to roam wasteland and wait for the encounter to pop up. This could be improved with various perk and NPCs.
As for hunting, I really dont get how it is meant. Is it hunting of brahmins, mutants or other NPCs ?
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:24:55 pm »

As for scavenging for materials, looking for them in standart WM encounter should stay limited to basic resources and only very small chance for HQ ones to get in standart encounter. Even with removed possibility to constantly jump in one square to farm them, the activity is not that entertaining.

If you would like to make obtaining materials fun, I recomend idea of scavange in fixed areas, where you would have much bigger chance to meet some players. Lets say they are numerous, with maybe guarded entrances, with a lot of submaps. There would be barrells with their own cooldown that player could try to scavange. Results would wary, they could be tied with skills, gathering standart materials in there wouldnt increase your CD as much as in normal encounter, there could be some more or less dangerous NPCs etc. Options are numerous.

So in conlusion:
0.Players would still have normal cumulative cooldown.
1.Normal materials, like fibers, fruits, wood, still avaiable in random encounters and in fixed locations like Modoc and Waterworks.
2.There could be a chance to meet some HQ materials at random, like there is a chance to meet car with FCC.
3.There would still be fixed locations like HQ mines.
4.There would Scavange locations, lets 8 maps of ruins, connected together like normal town where you could scavenge and find various resources...and meet some players in the process.

avv

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 05:40:17 pm »

If you would like to make obtaining materials fun, I recomend idea of scavange in fixed areas, where you would have much bigger chance to meet some players. Lets say they are numerous, with maybe guarded entrances, with a lot of submaps. There would be barrells with their own cooldown that player could try to scavange. Results would wary, they could be tied with skills, gathering standart materials in there wouldnt increase your CD as much as in normal encounter, there could be some more or less dangerous NPCs etc. Options are numerous.

This would be the best alternative. Lots of places like waterworks, themepark and so on.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 08:30:05 pm »

As for scavenging for materials, looking for them in standart WM encounter should stay limited to basic resources and only very small chance for HQ ones to get in standart encounter. Even with removed possibility to constantly jump in one square to farm them, the activity is not that entertaining.

So in conlusion:
0.Players would still have normal cumulative cooldown.
1.Normal materials, like fibers, fruits, wood, still avaiable in random encounters and in fixed locations like Modoc and Waterworks.
2.There could be a chance to meet some HQ materials at random, like there is a chance to meet car with FCC.
3.There would still be fixed locations like HQ mines.
4.There would Scavange locations, lets 8 maps of ruins, connected together like normal town where you could scavenge and find various resources...and meet some players in the process.

Cooldowns must go. They contribute nothing, everyone can just dual log with proxy and bypass them easily. They don't stop anyone from getting tons of gear, they don't slow down this process either, only make you mad. Fun > cooldowns. Gathering is used to create stuff later used for PvE/PvP. Mining/crafting isn't fun, it's just getting ready for the main part of the game, why do you want to slow it down and only piss off players? You craft -> you die -> you lose your stuff -> can't proceed because of dumb cooldowns. Stuff is way too easily lost to have cooldowns in this game.

I remember times when items could be found on appropriate WM tiles. Fruits/wood/fibers were ALWAYS at the west of Modoc, ore and minerals were found on mountainous encounters etc.

We already have unprotected locations with resources - HQ mines. You need carry weight to get any decent amount of ore from there, but you also need a gun to defend yourself. So in the end people go there just with sledgehammers so they don't lose much because they know fighting just doesn't work. Loners get screwed again and gangs rape everyone they want again.
Favorite forum posters:
Mike Crosser, the underground
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 12:44:25 am »

I have only played this game with the cooldown time in effect, so I know no other way. It sounds silly to make no cooldown. I mean I can just go grab my brahmin and mine for an hour and be set with equipment for life (HQ and all). Seeing how I like the cooldown time, Obv would I love the hunting idea. It keeps the cap flow in check. I mean...

1. Mine and wait (No change)
2. Mine and hunt (This is what I do but this will be more useful.)
3. Purchase and mine (Gives you something to look for in fights and not have to wait for cooldown if you want.)

While scaving idea is "differerent". I mean what happens if you encouter another player? Twice the motivation to kill them. This happens already in HQ mines I know but now it will happen in regular locations as well. I don't like this one. :):) ;D
You fail to pick the lock.

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:10:34 am »

For current economy cooldowns are neccesary. Most of the issues were fixed with cumulative CD, that was great improvement.

You are afraid that that there will be a lot of PKing in scavange location? Yes thats true. But the positive effects would be.

1.Small scale pvp would be more common. That would be good for guys that like to do that.
2.There would be a positive motivation to find a group or a friend and try to gather with them. Because in this game gang and cooperation makes it better. It would be another reason why to interact with people. Yes loners will have it harder. But dont forget that loners in mmporg and especialy in Fonline should be the toughest guys, that choose it because they want a challenge, not because they dont want to interact and craft in their caves.

Dont get me wrong, I am not against that playstyle, but it should be hard, its not single player.

Reiniat

• Humanhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:46 am »

1.Small scale pvp would be more common. That would be good for guys that like to do that.

what? small scale....pvp, don you see it? Fonline is full of cowards, the only way to make two guys fight is giving BA and Avenger to one guy and left the other alone.
How do you imagine small scale pvp? guys with LA or Combat Jacket fighting with Eagle Deserts and Hunting Rifles? guys like those will obviously shout "PEACE" in encounters, and then observe if the enemy is beatable, if not they will speak like pussyes "hi and goodbye".

The only way PvP can be in ghatering areas is by a bunch of well armed guys, or mercs waiting to kill as many bluesuits in one place.

Aniway im still liking your idea, i love that stuff of smale scale PvP, but its impossible due to the players.
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 02:49:36 am »

Fonline is full of cowards, the only way to make two guys fight is giving BA and Avenger to one guy and left the other alone.

You have some points, but it would be in the nature of such locations that there would be a chance to meet 2on2 etc. Lets have a look at Gecko mine for instance. Lot of times there was a guy or two waiting for miners. They usualy were succesfull in killing the miners and sometimes miners come back in an armed group or alone. Thats what we could call small scale pvp.

Now imagine that there is like 20 of such locations. Big gangs would concentrate on TC, maybe domination in some other areas. Lets have a look at the scavange area. In the nature of those areas with various entrances is that it is not easy to camp them. Most of the time when you with a friend or two will meet just very similar group who wants to scavange, not the big one that camp the entrance. It wouldnt be very much fun for the big groups, because they have other pvp thats more profitable in terms of fun&equip. Of course sometimes one group will have 3 members and the other 6, that will happen. But it wouldnt have to happen so often with numerous locations.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 03:19:54 am »

Perhaps gathering/PvP facilities could make use of this suggestion

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=18108.0;topicseen

So the guards might only let you enter with weaponry for "defensive" purposes but not "offensive". That way a bunch of rookies could get together with their shot-guns and flamers and have an actual chance at surviving it.

As for cool downs and dual logging etc. it seems like the food thing will actually counteract it a bit if its easier to speed up your cool down with water and food than it is to deal with three different chars (which I never do though, so i can't comment too much), also while the cool downs still exist they are getting tweaked so who knows... 

Handyman

• Zostałem Południowcem !
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 08:11:15 am »

Doh! no searching via encounters  it will generate big lags again, as in the past searching ores or wood and suff generated loads of maps which overloaded server ! Hunting FTW
Why would you argue with someone, while you can kill him.

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 08:25:41 am »

what? small scale....pvp, don you see it? Fonline is full of cowards, the only way to make two guys fight is giving BA and Avenger to one guy and left the other alone.

You do got the point here:)

For current economy cooldowns are neccesary. Most of the issues were fixed with cumulative CD, that was great improvement.
I liked that too, but that still remains an invitation for relogging. Don't know if the exact scale of the problem though. Maybe every player should hereby admit, if he's avoiding it this way, no punisment, I promise! :)

Now imagine that there is like 20 of such locations.
What if they are not fixed, but again, findable by mean of encountering, but are quite plentiful in materials (or the amount would vary, you would be noticed of it by the encounter question box). Then you need to stay in that location a bit longer, perhaps call friends (oh no, alt-friends?). And during that time, this location still would not be visible for others, but would be findable (with quite a chance).
The problem I see with fixed locations is that they are not adjusting themselves to the amount of players. Say, we've got low amount of players for some period of time, so it's perfectly safe to go there, don't meet anyone, return with stuff. Or say that some players again organized really humongous alliance, and they control half of it. Sounds a bit like Domination:)

Doh! no searching via encounters  it will generate big lags again, as in the past searching ores or wood and suff generated loads of maps which overloaded server ! Hunting FTW
Untrue, it was caused by funny bug in code, maybe some day I will write about it:)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:36:04 am by scypior »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 18 queries.