"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 05:33:57 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Revolutionizing Faction Terminal  (Read 17761 times)

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
Re: Revolutionizing Faction Terminal
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 01:51:14 am »

scypior, i just noticed something... on your first post you wrote somethin' about player chars info, but i must admit i havent understood too much...
Basically player info would be stored somewhere else? And will be wipe-safe?
I probably misunderstood, so if someone could explain me a little better (i'm not too pratic with servers and stuff ;D)
Quote from: Grommok
Chi si ritira dalla lotta
E' un gran figlio di mignotta!

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 09:49:24 am »

scypior, i just noticed something... on your first post you wrote somethin' about player chars info, but i must admit i havent understood too much...
Basically player info would be stored somewhere else? And will be wipe-safe?
I probably misunderstood, so if someone could explain me a little better (i'm not too pratic with servers and stuff ;D)
The data that is stored in faction terminal will be put in external database. Also, the registered playernames, which is helpful so that no one takes over your name. The character information, stats, items will be stored as it is now.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 01:53:27 pm »

so that means no more character wipe out at wipe?

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 01:59:03 pm »

Basically, we will rember names and faction, without real player infos?
So, if after wipe i register a name that was previously in a faction, i will have that char in a faction? Sounds like identity thief.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 02:20:13 pm »

As I understand it: after wipe, your faction will still exist, and your character name as well (as these info are not stored on our 2238 server anymore). After wipe, you gonna use your usual logon and password, but will still have to create the new char SPECIAL, and will start at lvl 1, and even if your faction still exist with all it's ranks etc, you gonna have to buy new bases etc...
This is to avoid faction name and char name thievery, and make easier faction managing (you don't have to invite again and promote again everyone in your faction after the wipe).
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

balio666

• TSAR
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »

A function to assign specific base access to each rank could be usefull as well. Something like : "Rank recruit => base A, Rank member => Base A and B, Rank trusted => Base A, B and C. It would be even easier than editing each faction member's allowed base access. And yes the inventory feature to check what's in which base could be awesome, we could even imagine a feature to make this inventory base sheet public to show what's in stock to sell at any moment, very usefull for known trader in wasteland.

PS : very good idea to show what you are working on !

Balio, Sunder, Snooky, Nopa, Lanza, Wyrn, Slevin, Avarice, Nevins, Alistar

Bartosz

• Rotator
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 03:29:09 pm »

so that means no more character wipe out at wipe?

No, that means other player can't steal your name just by quickly registering.

So, if after wipe i register a name that was previously in a faction, i will have that char in a faction? Sounds like identity thief.
That would be the case if the playername wouldn't be attached to your account.

Basically, it's like Crazy says.

A function to assign specific base access to each rank could be usefull as well. Something like : "Rank recruit => base A, Rank member => Base A and B, Rank trusted => Base A, B and C. It would be even easier than editing each faction member's allowed base access.
Yeah, either we may provide standard functionality in that manner, or someone could just customize his web interface to automagically assign some bases after rank change.

And yes the inventory feature to check what's in which base could be awesome, we could even imagine a feature to make this inventory base sheet public to show what's in stock to sell at any moment, very usefull for known trader in wasteland.

Good thinking. And this is what I'd like to achieve with this - players got the data, players got the tools, even if lazy dev won't implement something, customization should still allow players to build something like that. I strongly believe in this idea, of course we will see how it will turn out.

Bartosz

• Rotator
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 10:49:22 am »

Double posting:)

Published another info on the implementation process:
http://fonline2238.blogspot.com/2011/08/bases-visibility.html

in this case, I simply need your input to think about it further. Read and reply!

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 12:15:15 pm »

As you said, magic's not our stuff... but is needed sometimes  ;D
I like this. More i read more i like.
One question:
That would be the case if playername wouldn't be attached to your account.
We are going to have accounts?

Bartosz

• Rotator
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 12:24:05 pm »

One question:We are going to have accounts?

Yes, they're gonna be probably tied to the forum accounts, it's not specified yet exactly.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 12:32:50 pm »

Good to know. NOW i'm sure i'll love this new faction system! 8)
Now, for that one-headed brahmin... i'm still working on it.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 02:56:18 pm »

Even if it seems "magical", in my experience, it would be easier to deal with base raper by just making the location disappear for them when they're removed from list. There is a very good argument for that: after wipe, you won't be able to have as many followers, and I am not even sure you could let them camp in your base while your sleep (which is a good thing, for everything but base protection). Gameplay>Realism
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 08:28:51 pm »

Gameplay>Realism
Agreed!

I was thinking about name colorising, and I can sort of understand the argument against the old system in the sense of being "unrealistic"... But what if instead of being able to always see immediately what faction any player is in and have different colours for all of them, perhaps you would need permission from those factions first? Say maybe C88 can ask TTTLA (allies) to get automatic colorising for their members, so that all C88 will immediately recognise TTTLA, but if C88 were to ask, say, CS, perhaps they would deny this and C88 members would not be able to automatically spot CS members, but would have to add these manually to the database instead. This way you would be able to automatically keep track of those in factions that have given their consent, sort of like shared intelligence, but keeping track of those that want to remain "hidden" will have to be done much like before. I think this would be more realistic, and also more useful than the current name colorising. It would also be really nice if setting enemies of faction would allow all members of that base to see those nicks in red. It would lead to less friendly fire and less confusion, I think.

Bartosz

• Rotator
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 08:50:03 pm »

Say maybe C88 can ask TTTLA (allies) to get automatic colorising for their members, so that all C88 will immediately recognise TTTLA, but if C88 were to ask, say, CS, perhaps they would deny this and C88 members would not be able to automatically spot CS members, but would have to add these manually to the database instead.

I think we may indeed build something like that on top of those databases - once we get everything up and running - and without much hassle. I'm optimistic:)

Reiniat

• Humanhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 04:19:58 pm »

The other case however, might also be liked (oh no, he may come and kill us in our base, better quickly revoke his access!!!), but I very much liked the fact you needed to kill that unwanted player on your own ground to settle things, so I could think of solution for this, if it is really needed.
If we end up doing everything via computer inside another computer, its like be ourselves inside of Fonline: staying everyday looking to our PC instead of enjoy the beautiful wasteland. There must be limits to what you can do via faction terminal. :P

About accounts for each player.....WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. i really wait for something like that since i begin to play this game, in my very own opinion players should be able to know who is the REAL user of all those ugly alts that ride around. Sounds unrealistic and most people will not want it but its a good idea since the whole alt system is unrealistic.
You should not change characters and be a completely different player since all your characters serve one master, sounds hipocrit at least to me.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:21:52 pm by Reiniat »
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.