Author Topic: FOnline SDK public?  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Cola

• Knowledge is everything.
FOnline SDK public?
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:36:47 pm »
Hello there everyone.
I would like to start a FOnline server.

I just want to know if it's possible to make it public?
It says in the licence agreements that you're only allowed to use it in a "non-commercial" way...
Well, is there a way to find an exception?

I saw this in the licence:

1.3. Using the Program under this License for personal non-commercial purposes is free of charge. Use of the Program on terms and in ways not provided for by this License only possible on the basis of a separate agreement with the legal owner for a fee, to be ascertained by Doctor.

Okay so basicly you can get a seperate agreement?
And who is this Doctor?

I wanted my Hosting Company to host the SDK for me but they said that they could not due to the licence agreements, is this correct?

I'm thinking of paying everything on my own and players can donate for THE HOSTING and not for the server... That can't break the licence agreements, right?

What should I know?
What do you know?

Can anyone at the FOnline community maybe help me?

And please don't comment things like " You're too noob to make a server" etc
Because I just want to try this out... I already know that I may not fit as a server owner but still...
I just want to try this out.

Thanks in advance.
My current In-game name is Colan.

Re: FOnline SDK public?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:39:45 pm »
Donating isn't P2P, because you won't force players to pay to you, they will do it by thier own will, if they will want to. So, obviously it's not against anything. You just can't sell in-game stuff for real money and force players to pay to you.

Offline Cola

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:42:27 pm »
Donating isn't P2P, because you won't force players to pay to you, they will do it by thier own will, if they will want to. So, obviously it's not against anything. You just can't sell in-game stuff for real money and force players to pay to you.

So... I can host it, start a community and tell them that they can donate if they want...
And it's legal and not against the agreements?

Also, what files can I edit?
I saw that I'm not allowed to delete the name FOnline...
But can I add something after FOnline?

Is there anyone related to the agreements that are on these forums?

Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:48:07 pm »
Yeah, if you want to make other game, "FOnline" thing still should exist, even if you'll make Arcanum you'll have to name it something like "FOnline: Arcanum" or whatever. As you can see at this server, TLA and others, all names are "FOnline: XXX", so it shows how you can name it.
Btw I don't know if you can use Arcanum tiles, but I think you can, because SDK already has squares for it and you can switch to it and just get tiles from Arcanum's CD and it'll work normally.
License should say what you can't change, everything else you can change.

Offline Cola

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:04:33 pm »
Is there anyone related to the agreements that are on these forums?