"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 11:21:46 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Game Over" Screens  (Read 2489 times)

Surf

• это моё.
"Game Over" Screens
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:03:34 am »

This is a bit of a wild discussion, but I am asking nonethless. I was doing "Game Over"Screens for my game lately and wondered if a similar concept could be added to 2238 aswell. I am aware that there is a huge difference between the meanings of death in a singleplayer and multiplayergame. But, if it would be kept very short and very random+many variations, why not? It would basically mean, you die, you get a short 3-4 seconds "game over" screen as you get teleported to the respawn point. The actual message could be anything, here's just three examples of how it looks like in FO/WR.

Original Fallout ones:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSXJyLaP-4s" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSXJyLaP-4s</a>

New FOnline engine ones..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to7yrGSZrF4" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to7yrGSZrF4</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVbUSM17lzQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVbUSM17lzQ</a>

IMO - it adds much to the games atmosphere. It's little things like this what made Fallout a great game, why shouldn't FOnline not have these? As we are on a "make things like they were in FO1/2" spree anyway - what do you think? And most important - what would be your contributions towards new fitting 2238 game over screens?

Re: "Game Over" Screens
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:04:45 am »

looks good, remind *lionheart* abit. good voice for speech. font looks not good for me...

most brave acting in mmorpg - complete death (like it must be in interplay mmorpg*).

*just read the FAQ at interplay...

Let the Force be with You.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:10:38 am »

Don't mind the What Remains ones, they are just there to showcase how some new ones can be made, they have nothing to do with 2238 (hence the font). In 2238, it can be all the original FO2 ones like I posted in the first vide, plus some new ones (although not narrated by Ron Perlman...) What I want to know here is, if people would be annoyed by it, or if they'd find it a good atmospeheric addition.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:18:32 am »

Don't mind the What Remains ones, they are just there to showcase how some new ones can be made, they have nothing to do with 2238 (hence the font). In 2238, it can be all the original FO2 ones like I posted in the first vide, plus some new ones (although not narrated by Ron Perlman...) What I want to know here is, if people would be annoyed by it, or if they'd find it a good atmospeheric addition.

i think people that gonna unlike this video can just remove them in fonline config or etc. and i bet other people can support this idea. i still have hope to permantent character death and no lvl cap  ;)

Let the Force be with You.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:48:54 am »

Well, we don't have a "game over" point in the game and seeing this stuff a million times, everytime you die, will be more annoying than dying itself.

Farl

• meh meh dude from NCR
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:49:35 am »

So replication is with this 3-4 seconds :o
But i hope suiciders got to wait more longer.
Unarmed/Thrower

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:51:34 am »

Well, we don't have a "game over" point in the game and seeing this stuff a million times, everytime you die, will be more annoying than dying itself.

My thoughts, yep. With a genuine text there the rather obscure "respawn" aka coming back to life from the dead could be explained aswell (yes I know some NPC at respawn points tell you how they brought you back to life). That's why it is important to have as many different ones as possible. Or, people who don't want it at all, just disable it (e.g remove movie/or whatever files it may take in client). This way it would be optional and the people who don't want it wouldn't be annoyed and the people who want some small atmosphere enhancers would be satisfied aswell.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:53:13 am by Surf »
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 09:59:26 am »

If you'll be unable to ESC this video, you'll be sick of this voice and those images in a week, if not faster. May be show just once per character or in some special locations.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:06:42 am »

As with any other video, you can just click it away, esc-press it, or just remove it from your client folder with ease.

Jackall

• This is a mean old world.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:10:39 am »

I like it. Nice idea.  ;)

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 05:52:26 pm »

I agree with Lexx, it would get annoying really fast. But having some cut-scenes could be nice, on occasions like entering the world with a fresh character or maybe some global event-triggered cut-scenes.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

CaptOmg

• Killin' paladins.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 09:43:12 am »

Personally, I think 2238 being all unqiue with its factions, why not have a death cutscene while in the line of combat (such as dieing when you were helping your faction take a town) and such.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 12:22:50 pm »

I like that idea Surf. And i dont think it would be too difficult to implement, so, why not?
Quote from: Grommok
Chi si ritira dalla lotta
E' un gran figlio di mignotta!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.