"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 04:23:58 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Bring the Bars to life  (Read 8174 times)

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
Re: Bring the Bars to life
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 07:11:57 pm »

Solar,

I've Noticed that a lot of these songs will need to be normalized so the relative volume doesn't jump around too much between plays, also it wouldn't hurt to add some subtle reverb to make them sound like they are being played in the bar.

If you would like I can take care of these things, Just let me know

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 07:13:51 pm »

I was doing that anyway. :) There is a small room-verb on it, some bar folks talking etc. Also, they need to be edited to .ogg files anyway. The result will sound/feel like that.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 07:23:56 pm »

I was doing that anyway. :) There is a small room-verb on it, some bar folks talking etc. Also, they need to be edited to .ogg files anyway. The result will sound/feel like that.

The songs in the links I have posted (and I have added a few more) are all, or at least mostly, available in Ogg Vorbis format directly from the archive.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 03:13:37 pm »

Only music wont do, need drunken animations like in JA2 ;P

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 03:37:22 pm »

Only music wont do, need drunken animations like in JA2 ;P

With the 3d era, it is possible, yes. :)

Jukebox tunes will sound like this: http://www.zshare.net/download/9215874411ce805b/
Or this: http://www.zshare.net/download/92159004d7a2c986/

Still taking suggestions, especially on slow songs/countrysongs. Your chance. :)
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 04:53:56 am »

Jukebox tunes will sound like this: http://www.zshare.net/download/9215874411ce805b/

I think it sounds very good :)

If one wants to bring bars alive, maybe life perforcmences by players would be a thing too. Aswell as emotions. Maybe some bar games, like cards? so one could play poker vs eachother. Thief free place, and allow unarmed fighting :P

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 06:47:24 pm »

you could play this just before a wipe for dramatic effect ;)
http://www.archive.org/details/OrsonWellesMrBruns

Kanly

• The future is today, worry about it tomorrow!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 03:18:37 pm »

From the nice archive that Johnny Rust pointed out (by the way thank you), I  recommend New Van Buren Blues (performed by Bob Skyles and His Skyrockets) and Dream A Little Dream Of Me (1931 version performed by Smith Ballew (singer), Teddy Raph Orch). All free from copyright in some country (more than 50 yeahrs, for Usa laws it is more complicated).

Nagasaki too is very appropiated for Fallout (maybe the Trix Sisters version)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:24:00 pm by Kanly »
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 09:34:29 pm »

Actually this Jukebox feature sounds promising. But beside this there are some other things needed to attract people to hang around in bars. Gambling would be one thing (already suggested many times and i think the "non-skill-affected"-gambling would be the best to avoid alt farming here). One could also think of some poker game for up to 9 players for example (if thats somehow possible within the engine...i saw it already on TLA for one person, not sure if this would work with more players). Another option may be some quiz there from time to time (randomly held by the barkeeper).

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 07:50:50 am »

gambling would be nice and the quiz is a great idea! perhaps the quiz can be hosted by a dev acting as bartender since we would be shouting out answers.
fallout trivia!

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 08:53:14 pm »

Gambling skill should give something that doesn't really give advantage to win, but some small advantage - ability to make bigger bets, join tournaments, gambling could be used in quests (where a certain gambling skill check is needed) or stuff like that. Gambling could be a skill that goes up just by winning in these gambling games. I have an idea of this:

To gain 1% (2% if tagged) gambling skill you must get XY amount of gambling experience, if you want you can still use skillpoints on the gambling skill. You gain experience by winning a game.
0%-100% needs 50 experience to gain 1%/2% skill.
101%-160% neeeds 110 experience to gain 1%/2% skill.
161%-200% needs 150 experience to gain 1%/2% skill.
201%-240% needs 200 experince to gain 1%/2% skill.
241%-300% needs 300 experience to gain 1%/2% skill.

You get this much experience for winning a game:
 * For winning 1 blackjack hand you get 2 experience.
 *a For busting out the dealer you get 10 extra experience.
 * For winning 1 slot machine game you get 3 experience.
 *a For winning the biggest jackpot you gain 20 experience.
 * For winning 1 poker hand you get 2 experience.
 *a For busting out a player you get 10 extra experience.
 *b For winning a tournament you get 25 extra experience.

It might also depend on the skill of the other players.
(These numbers were quickly thinked off, it's unkown if this idea even gets implented, so it's up to the devs)
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

arathhunter

• Arath =Gray Rock Village Leader= -Canadian Drow-
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 10:05:30 am »

I Love all these Ideas! I Kina get a Lil exited just thinking bout it ;D, Though. I can't help but feel like Getting a Jukebox for the Base (Like a placeable Jukebox Skined NPC) *sighs* One can Dream :P

Serbian

• //INSERT WISE ASS SONG LYRICS THAT MAKE NO SENSE//
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 01:35:56 pm »

Good idea of "revification" of the bars. I always thought bars were good places to organize small RP events, or at least celebrate certain achieved goals (My clan has managed to defeat clan Y, and X clan has agreed to cooperate with us, or simmilair).
Oh, and i also wanted to make a (slightly different) post about bars, but i guess you beat me to it.
//INSERT WISE ASS POETRY THAT MAKES NO SENSE HERE//

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 12:55:19 am »

Oh, and i also wanted to make a (slightly different) post about bars, but i guess you beat me to it.

why not post it here?

Serbian

• //INSERT WISE ASS SONG LYRICS THAT MAKE NO SENSE//
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 02:24:48 pm »

Well, if its not a problem:
As i said above, i think bars are (currently) rather shallow. Just a few NPC's, restrooms and thats it. Not one living human or even reptilian soul. Nothing. my suggestion is to bring a little bit more life to the bars: Jukeboxes with vintage 50s-60s music (Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and even Johnny Cash, although he doesn't quite fit into the atmosphere), random quests given out by the bartenders or drunkies, such as: kill Z in XY coordinates, and return with his possesions (dogtags probably?), find him a rare item (Cat's Paw or other?), investigate a cave, and simmilair. But my probably greates suggestion would be that bars should acctualy be a place for players to come together-not for the quests, just come together. Why not lower alchohol prices in the bars, whilst increase prices of other items? Makes sence if you ask me. Plus probably (after implementation of news in every major town, if it happens), players who start a fight in the bar be in the newspaper the next morning, with the victorious one being contacted by a local fight organizer (arenas), to come and test his skills in the arena. I also have a pretty trivial suggestion: why not ad some activities for the "flavor"? Such as darts, billiard (based on a simple dialog, using say to add the names of your opponents, although they will have to add you too), making a good foundation for barfly RPing. Oh, and as far as these activites go (the ones mentioned above), the success rate should be based on the players luck and gambling partialy, with a base 25% chance of winning, that is not based on your skills or stats, thus balancing it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:27:00 pm by Serbian »
//INSERT WISE ASS POETRY THAT MAKES NO SENSE HERE//
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.