"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • August 20, 2024, 02:50:37 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Players Protection  (Read 1261 times)

New Players Protection
« on: June 22, 2011, 01:50:30 am »

Let's make some sort of protection for low level bluesuits that are practically helpless against any other Player. It would be good if players till some level, let's say 5-6 could be safe on random encounters, they could learn a little about game, gather resources in peace, get a tent finally, fight only critters and do some quests. After the 5-6 level they would become normal members of fonline community and they could fight in PvsP on encos , Hinkley and such. The reason for this are people who hunt low level bluesuits so that they scare away some part of newcomers. I think it's better to give new people time for getting know the system better before they gonna have to face other players (sudden death).
Re: New Players Protection
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:14:43 am »

Some sort of protection from being found, I'm ok, as long as it isn't a system where they are immortal
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:54:11 am »

This is sort of already in place via nice people helping out new players. Unfortunately the "nice people VS people who kill you" ratio isn't so favourable at the moment.

Signorini

• [VBD] Breaking your Dreams!!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 03:35:00 am »

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:07:35 am »

Also a version of these suggestions has been made earlier.  I agree something should be done.  Consider reading the other suggestion and adding input on how you might change it, or what might be of use.  If we can come up with something perhaps we can get it seen by the devs.

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=10918.0
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:50:32 pm »

yea,

the optional vault tutorial is a great idea. someone just needs to script it...

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:01:15 pm »

But the only way to learn in this game is by getting killed. The lesson I ever learnt was a guy taking me into the wastes, putting a gun to my head and pulling the trigger to steal my shovel.

Really you'd be penalising players by having them protected. They still will have no clue about that side of things when they hit level 6-7. Plus I could see this being exploited someone in PvP.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 07:16:00 pm »

thats why the vault training was good, it could be un-exploitable.

as far as the realities of the waste, give them a warning before they set out from the vault. at least they wont rage quite because of PvE and they will learn about harsher side soon enough.

I'm more worried about retention rate than anything else here.

the important thing with a vault tutorial is to make it difficult but not impossible and at least educate new players about the parts of the game that aren't player influenced before they get Pk'd so they have a reason to keep going once that does happen.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 03:37:34 am »

People do need to learn that they will be killed at some point.  A system where it maybe doesn't happen all the time anywhere and everywhere, wouldn't hurt though.  There isn't a penalty when players have a chance to level and learn.  It just means that they will jump on that learning curve a little later than lvl 1.  People might actually stay playing if they're not constantly under the boot of pk's.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:46:01 am »

Why couldn't I make low lvl alt scouts that are protected to scout and radio my gang in?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 02:14:50 am »

Well in my suggestion that is similar to this one about making beginning players safer, that can't happen where a 'protected' person scouts and radios gangs in.  It's just a matter that so many people are so frightened by the thought of not being able to abuse lowbies that we have to work around.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 03:48:10 am »

Why couldn't I make low lvl alt scouts that are protected to scout and radio my gang in?

of course you could.

the difference between a global blanket protection as suggested here for anyone below a certain level and an older suggestion of an optional tutorial vault is that the former is completely exploitable and the latter isn't.

I see a protected starting area as way for the learning curve to be graded as opposed to all at once as it is right now. Understanding the whole game takes a long time as it has a huge learning curve. to break up the games core concepts for new players is A, something most games do, and B much more realistic.

I think we can all agree we need more players to keep the game going. Someone just needs to script it. If I could script I would give it a go but since I can't I will help new players along in my own way until something like this comes about.

Those of you who kill them mercilessly, keep doing so. The waste needs villains. Just try to remember it's a game, even dying can be fun, and maybe winning doesn't need to mean gloating like a prick. Maybe if you try not to be dicks about it, maybe even make it interesting for the other party (can I get some dialogue? your a character, whats your motive?) you would both have more fun.

so i've had a few, SO WHAT!

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 04:12:38 am »

Imagine the possible abuses, players using low level alts to benefit from new player protection. 
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 01:34:17 am »

Imagine the possible abuses, players using low level alts to benefit from new player protection.

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=10918.0

^^Solves the low lvl alt abuse issue.  It's not a perfect fix, but it's something we can try to build on if people think about it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.