"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 12, 2024, 07:41:08 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New profession ideas  (Read 2370 times)

New profession ideas
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:19:47 pm »

Engineer
This profession will specialize in the creation of turrets and robots.
Turret builds will be geared towards base defense.
Robot builds for companion, general playing.

Needed tags:
Science
Repair
Energy Weapons

Recomended SPECIAL
High ST if you're gonna build turrets.
Medium~High CH.

Turret Creation:
To make a turret you will need a sizeable amount of materials. Alloys, metal parts, Micro Fusion Cells, along with the weapons necessary for them. (IE: If Plasma turret, 2x Plasma Rifle)

Turret characteristics:
Factions may only have a maximum on any given map.
Requirement of 100 pixel distance from all grids.
Requirement of 20 pixel distance from all walls. [To discourage bottleneck plugging with turrets]
High HP regen.
High Armor.
Great accuracy.
Expensive and time consuming to make.
Immobile.
Requires MFC to operate.
Engineering Profession level 3 required.
Requires blue prints to manufacture. [Expendable]
Does not require player to give them ammunition; they've an infinite amount on hand. Can not be stolen or obtained when they die.
VERY high crafting cooldown. 20 minutes each.
Can be dismantled by the owner with science.

Turret uses:
Gaining footholds in TC.
Base defense.
Tent defense.

Misc Info.:
A turrets inventory item will weight quit a bit. So in order to use engineer with turrets you would need high ST along with Pack Rat and Strong Back. Turrets would also count as three~four companions. The CH necessary to have that many companions will be required as well.

Turrets would be very weak to EMP weaponry. A Pulse Grenade for example would also inflict a 5~10 second stun on the turret, along with its very high damage. Turrets also will have a restriction on where they may be placed. TC towns, bases, personal tents..

Upon death by a player, turrets could be salvaged of their weapons, and power cells.

Turrets

Autoturret Plasma
HP: 1000
Armor: High
Weapon: Dual Plasma Rifle
Misc: Best short~medium ranged. Can do long range but will miss.

Autoturret Minigun
Weapon: Dual Minigun
Misc: Best short~medium ranged. Long ranged attacks do piddly damage.

Autoturret Rocket
Weapon: Dual Minigun
Misc: Medium~long. Not a good idea to shoot when the target is close due to splash damage.

Robots

General robot characteristics:
Repairable with repair. (Crippled limbs may require very high repair and or items)
Can be resurrected with repair skill. [High amount required]
If dead robot left on random encounter map, it'll be wiped.
Creating a new robot while a robot is dead will wipe the previous one as well.
If robot isn't resurrected in 3hrs after it's died, even on a Town map it'll be wiped.
Unlike turrets, robots will not need a constant supply of energy cells (Unless it is Mr. Handy..).
Does not level up ever. However, the upper tier combat robots are equivalent to a 12~18 level character.
Like humans, robots suffer from being weakened after resurrection. (they're recharging :P) Big difference being that their weakened state lasts 2~3x longer, and in that duration they will not attack. This is to keep them from being too good by being a companion that never permanently dies.
Robots can be transferred to other players. Can be sold to slavers (though you would be getting ripped off for what they give)

K-9
Cheap and easy to make. Fast, very high AP. Unarmed only. Short ranged.
HQ Alloys
Dog from Junk yard.
HQ MP
K-9 Motivator. (Obtainable from Navarro mechanics, Dr. Henry [NCR])
High repair skill.
Engineering Profession level 1.
Uses one companion slot.

Robobrain
Moderately expensive, and difficult to make. SLOW, high AP. Uses SG rifles or EG rifles. Long ranged. Brains interchangeable at Dorothy's for a fee. Only ONE allowed per person!
Requirements:
Brain (Varies)
Bio med gel (Obtainable from various doctor shops)
Robot motivator (Obtainable from Dorothy [NCR])
HQ Alloys
HQ MP
High repair skill.
Engineering Profession level 2.
Uses 2 companion slots.
Versatile.

Additional info:
There will be different brains to find for use on robobrain.

Miners Brain:
Going to Josh Laurence in Redding will get you a miner brain that used to belong to one of the unlucky recently deceased local miners there.
Obtainable from Redding. (Jack of all trades with some medium combat abilities)
Characteristics:
Allows robobrain to automine for the player.  [Does not use energy cells]
Jet addict. Needs Jet in order for it to mine. [I know robots don't do drugs. The brain belonged to a Jet addict though..]
SG is tagged.
Shotgun only.
Pack rat tagged. (Good mule brain)
No combat perks.
Can assist player with: Brahmin taming (when brought back), Slaving, other monotonous things.

Killian Darkwaters' brain:
That creepy Doc morbid had preserved Killian's brain after his death. At least it didn't end up like the rest of his body on Iguana Bobs' stand, I guess..
Obtainable from Junktown. (Requires quest)*
Characteristics:
Gives robobrain Killian's dialogs from Fallout.
SG is tagged (and very high).
Combat oriented perks for Robobrain.
High crit chance.
Can use any two handed SG.
Robot has a sense of justice. Will dislike and possibly leave low rep characters.

*Quest would involve the player going to the Skum Pitt and hearing a rumor of Killian's grave being empty; him never being burried. Would eventually uncover what had happened and retrieve the brain.

Salvatore Thug's brain:
A thug that was killed by a blue suit with the number 13 on the back...
Obtainable from: New Reno (Either Renesco, a fresh grave in Golgatha or Sierra Army Depot)
Characteristics:
EG is tagged.
Moderate crit chance.
Can use laser rifles.
Highest base HP of all robots.
Seems to think the robot owner is his killer due to his blue suit.
May leave player if they're deemed to be too dull.
Can assist with slaving.

Mister Handy Type I
"How may I serve you, Master? Even though I don't really want to..."
Requirements:
Robot motivator (Obtainable from Dorothy [NCR])
HQ Alloys
HQ MP
High repair skill.
Engineering Profession level 3.
Super tool kit.

Characteristics:
300% repair.
Can repair a players items for free so as long as it is kept stocked with small energy cells.
Can be instructed to mine.
Can be instructed to craft ammunition. Outputs slightly more ammo for the materials than a normal crafter would at the expense of energy cell consumption. (Maybe 10~25% more) [No workbench needed]
Uses 20* Small Energy cells to repair an item.
Uses 10* Small Energy cells to craft ammo.
Mining does not use up Small Energy cells.
Can only craft some SG/BG ammos; no energy cells.
Uses one companion slot.
Low~medium carry weight to ensure players have to continiously keep it stocked with energy cells/doesn't mine too much. NOT A MULE.
Terrible at combat. This is best as a service bot at a base/tent.

New items to implement to help combatting turrets/robots:
12 gauge EMP shells (From Fallout Tactics) (Craftable. Pulse Grenade + Shotgun Ammo)
EMP Rocket (Craftable. 2 Pulse Grenade + Rocket)

I also had an idea for engineering to be used in conjunction with doctor and energy expert (1 Eng, 2 Doc, 1 Energy expert; high science, repair, doctor to preform surgery) to make permanent implants for players (very difficult to do). Implants would be nerfed if needed.. But maybe later.

Oh, I will post another profession later that utilizes mostly unused tags.

First suggestion so don't shoot me down too hard. :P
Re: New profession ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:34:30 pm »

It's not a new suggestion, but a way to troll Surf, who's about to appear here soon.

Also, why is everyone so fixed on crafting robots?
Wasteland is a tricky business.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 06:11:42 pm »

Because robots are cool. But those turrets have too much hp.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 06:17:25 pm »

It's not a new suggestion, but a way to troll Surf, who's about to appear here soon.

Also, why is everyone so fixed on crafting robots?
i bet alot people killed best guy - cassady, just for make perfect robot in fo2. make robobrain with cool brain isnt so easy even in fo2.
i dont remember how *cassady* mind changed after this... but nothing good. :D

Let the Force be with You.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 06:30:46 pm »

not robots again.... yay, cool sugestion
**yawn** please implement it now

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:36:02 pm »

Nie biegaj za stadem.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:45 pm »

If we have robots/turrets we will also need EMP's

Reiniat

• Humanhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:20:07 pm »

If we have robots/turrets we will also need EMP's
i suggest that, with robots (not pwning turrets) long time ago. For some reason the devs hate the fallout robots, and they will not be in the game.
This suggestion in paticular is useless, we dont need Engineers in game, if we have problems with our postapocaliptic 150 years old cars we use Repair on them with a magic vanishing tool.

END OF THE TOPIC
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:18:41 am »

Personally I think robots are pretty damn rare in the Fallout Universe (F1 & F2) and do not constitute mass production which is what this would inevitably lead to. Really we only see things like Ghouls and Robots made into generic mobs by Bethesda's complete lack of imagination (I mean for Christ's sake there shouldn't even be Supermutants in Fallout 3)

The turrets are an interesting idea but I can see them as causing much more headaches than they're worth.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 02:24:39 am »

yea, as far as 3 lvl professions go I think we have what we need.

there was a suggestion a while ago though which I liked about single level professions such as farming.

little things to round off that 4th level other than the generic "might as well get a level of armourer then..." would be a cool option

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 03:34:27 am »

I wasn't aware this was a popular shot down suggestion. :P

@Czubasa: I was worried about that. I'm guessing 300~750 might be better.. They need higher than norm HP, though. They're immobile, count as several companions and somewhat hard to make.

@jonny rust: I suggested a few additional EMP items. Maybe not enough, but SG/BG/Throwing would be covered in the EMP weapon/ammo department. To allow EG to damage them, I suppose their resistance to plasma/laser could be low.

@Trias: I dunno about rare. There's plenty in vaults in Fallout 1 and 2. Just looked through the Van Buren section on the Fallout wikia site and it seems some outdoor robots were plannet for it. I think Mr. Handy's were also being mass produced as well for public use before the war in Fallout canon. [2]
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 04:02:40 am »

I wasn't aware this was a popular shot down suggestion. :P

this is why people are referred to a little button up top named "search"

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 05:04:33 am »

I think it would be cool if robots were make-able by anyone with enough science and repair but the parts were extremely rare and hard to find.
But if the gm's don't like robots its kind of a moot point anyhow

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 02:32:03 am »

Just got the idea and it seems its already been here.

Well I don't think anything bad on robots, with high-enough skill requirements. It would be pretty nice for base protection. Turrets even better.

Maybe some level 4 profession?

Another idea I got. Its really the lowest priority, but some daz, it would be nice to have the possibility to repair all the non functional stuff e. g. in bunker. Like all the old computers, displays etc. Also the elevator to get use of the lower floors. With some really crazy high requirements also for example the main vault doors? It would be really nice for aditional security :-)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:35:09 am by Behemot »
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 08:07:44 am »

there was a suggestion a while ago though which I liked about single level professions such as farming.

little things to round off that 4th level other than the generic "might as well get a level of armourer then..." would be a cool option
Ooo I like that idea.  Since we're allowed 4 levels of professions some single level ones would be nice.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.