"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 05, 2024, 02:18:59 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2-3 sec invuln time when entering map  (Read 2975 times)

2-3 sec invuln time when entering map
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:39:26 pm »

I know there is another post, but my proposal is related to another problem: spawn camping.
Now i always found very lame when happens to spawn in a part of the city or even in random encounters and you are surrounded by a throng of enemies/mercs. Tbh i always felt like they are abusing a bug, since map swapping in a city shouldnt mean that you cant see what's on the other side but whatever, the engine is made this way.
This could add more tactical aspects, or it could be total bullshit, up to you :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:41:46 pm by abegade »

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
Re: 2-3 sec invuln time when entering map
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:43:44 pm »

"Wait" feature was there some times ago. It was often really annoying and illogical, I hope we won't go back there.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:09:28 pm »

I think how it would work in practise is that you would load onto the map, but be invisible and paralysed for a few seconds. So you could load and see what was going on before you were really "there", but you couldn't run about being a pest.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:52:36 pm »

Parle?

Doh, not again.
Games are meant to be created, not played...
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 03:21:49 pm »

Its not Parle, it was something much more different. But we can just stay at "Prewiev" feature, its good as it is.
Avatar: Equality of rights for ghouls!

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 03:22:15 pm »

Parle?

Doh, not again.

Oh yeah, this was even better than wait ;p
300% speech alt will have fun! \o/
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 03:23:38 pm »

"Wait" feature was there some times ago. It was often really annoying and illogical, I hope we won't go back there.

That was because it was a preventure of gridcamping and was like 8-10 seconds long to let you run out of the map again (only in towns/fixed locations). This is rather for avoiding death in the time where your screen is either "Loading" or black.

I think a "youre invisible, immortal and paralysed for 1-3 seconds" is ideal to prevent such exploiting/abuse.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 03:46:18 pm »

Preview doesn't help much with loading times though.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 04:26:07 pm »

This is rather for avoiding death in the time where your screen is either "Loading" or black.

I think a "youre invisible, immortal and paralysed for 1-3 seconds" is ideal to prevent such exploiting/abuse.

Exactly what i mean. And it will discourage grid camping in the end.. you could still camp, but it would be not a great advantage as now it is.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 04:47:34 pm »

"Wait" was way better than preview
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 04:59:08 pm »

How was that wait you all are talking about? I'm curious  ;D

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 06:14:18 pm »

Its not Parle, it was something much more different (...)
(...) this was even better than wait ;p

Hm, true; for me both solution was just terrible walkaround, so i remember both as one thing... my bad :P

But i'd like to see solution on engine level (client reports that he loaded map already, server puts critter instance into map) instead of some dirty magic like parle or this suggestion - it's just one of this things that should work everywhere, not just on *one* of FOServ-based games (like 2238).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:16:07 pm by Wipe »
Games are meant to be created, not played...

avv

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 07:54:21 pm »

Its not Parle, it was something much more different. But we can just stay at "Prewiev" feature, its good as it is.

Actually previews are bad for the gameplay. People need to be inside places, not camping worldmap, making previews and jumping on people.

"Wait" was good because then the guys inside city actually knew they were being spotted. The 20 seconds might have been too long in some cases, especially in reno because there were so many grids.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 07:57:02 pm »

But do you know how look fights in Modoc ? Enemy was camped arround exit grid(there was only one in past) and when we spawned we both made position and when was 20 second then everyone star shooting. I dont talk about thing that some russian players had some thingie and they knew how much seconds remain to end of timer.
Avatar: Equality of rights for ghouls!

DocAN.

• Testing FO: Reloaded
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 10:32:30 pm »

I think adding few more spawn poinst at every entrace will solve the problem. Spawns like in MODOC where some of them are near grid and some are far away from it even more then 50 hexs. Same with random maps at desert, some simple forumla which will place players away from center.
FOnline: Reloaded - Post apocalyptic mmorpg
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.