"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 03:22:52 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: About the Alting problem (it not means to eliminate them)  (Read 6516 times)

Johnny Nuclear

• Rotator
  • hrmm
Re: About the Alting problem (it not means to eliminate them)
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 10:56:56 am »

hey guys whats problem with numbers ? what do you have against my Johnny Ns ? ;D ;D
Rockwell gold card owner.
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 11:31:56 am »

Seriously, I doubt many people really want to play armor crafter only. And cheaters would find the way around it anyway. Because they always do.

Well there you go, that's our problem. If you want to craft armour, you have to devote your character to crafting armour. Your professions are so demanding as to define your character.

The only way to make such a system work is to considerably dilute the demands. I know it sounds like a massive watering down of the RPG system , but it's that or alting. I'd rather every single character has a profession and is able to produce gear instead of just the dedicated base crafters. Even if it means more characters being a Jack of all Trades.

I would suggest that we minimise or completely remove the skill point investment/stat requirements for both professions and crafting. I know, it seems ridiculous that there's all these skills that will never get used - but we have a system that uses them, and the consequence is that everybody just makes alts. Much better to control what people can build by scarcity of blueprints.

Even with stuff like mining - make a mining alt so you can carry as much ore as possible. Don't use your main, because he's carrying decent gear and he doesn't have a sledgehammer with him, nor can he carry much, nor does he have the CH to bring mining slaves. So, you use your mining alt. When he's done you use your crafter alt with respectable science to turn that ore into something workable. Great. (I'm prepared to admit I simply despise the mining system)

I also realise a crafting rework is on the cards, so these issues may have been completely addressed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:39:36 am by Badger »

Reiniat

• Humanhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:34 pm »

Well there you go, that's our problem. If you want to craft armour, you have to devote your character to crafting armour. Your professions are so demanding as to define your character.

The only way to make such a system work is to considerably dilute the demands. I know it sounds like a massive watering down of the RPG system , but it's that or alting. I'd rather every single character has a profession and is able to produce gear instead of just the dedicated base crafters. Even if it means more characters being a Jack of all Trades.........
Thats a nice suggestion.
I think players should has only 2 chars, a "Warlord", and a "Everything Else".
players need very combat especialized built for fight, but a crafter can be many other things, like thief, slaver or barter. I design a built for a Crafter-Slaver-Thief and one Crafter-Thief-Barter some time ago in stats the look good but i never lvled one. 
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 11:15:08 pm »

The only way to make such a system work is to considerably dilute the demands. I know it sounds like a massive watering down of the RPG system , but it's that or alting. I'd rather every single character has a profession and is able to produce gear instead of just the dedicated base crafters. Even if it means more characters being a Jack of all Trades.

I would suggest that we minimise or completely remove the skill point investment/stat requirements for both professions and crafting. I know, it seems ridiculous that there's all these skills that will never get used - but we have a system that uses them, and the consequence is that everybody just makes alts. Much better to control what people can build by scarcity of blueprints.

Even with stuff like mining - make a mining alt so you can carry as much ore as possible. Don't use your main, because he's carrying decent gear and he doesn't have a sledgehammer with him, nor can he carry much, nor does he have the CH to bring mining slaves. So, you use your mining alt. When he's done you use your crafter alt with respectable science to turn that ore into something workable. Great. (I'm prepared to admit I simply despise the mining system)

I also realise a crafting rework is on the cards, so these issues may have been completely addressed.

Too arbitrary.
Developing professions should actually define a character- because they take a lot of time and effort to learn.
Eliminating requirements makes almost every character a combat character.

I prefer a simulaton bias to a "game" bias.

Blueprints are a good idea, depending on implementation. Do they magically dissappear after use?
Are they unshareable?
Either thing would be lame.
If they don't dissappear and are shareable (aside from maybe having to pay a trainer to teach the procedure accompanying the blueprint), they would be just another grind item. Requiring training to use each blueprint would be just another hoop to jump through.

I have no problem with that.

I would bring back crafting books as well.
Perhaps crafting books and blueprints could wear out from use over time.

I would also make crafting more difficult, with items requiring different professions cooperating to make subcomponents.

BTW there are plenty of "Level 0" items that allow anyone to be a crafter.
Even a combat character can spare a few points here and there.

I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 11:36:12 am »

Too arbitrary.
Developing professions should actually define a character- because they take a lot of time and effort to learn.
Eliminating requirements makes almost every character a combat character.

Well that's what we have now - a system where professions completely define your character. It's impossible to make people play characters they don't want to play (can you blame them?), and they don't want their build to be completely oriented around making armour. So they just make alts. Nearly every character is a combat character as it is.

The more complicated and demanding you make crafting, the more people are going to make alts for it. If you make the crafting compromises smaller, a lot more people will be prepared to craft with their main.
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 12:39:40 pm »

I dont think they should define your character but i think they should take a lot of time and effort to learn. currently you can make valid crafter alt in less than one afternoon.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.