"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:22:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's make a real feeling of open world  (Read 1722 times)

Let's make a real feeling of open world
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:23 pm »

For the sake of realism and inmersive feeling I really would appreciate the possibility (however very rare) of showing up into a base while traveling on map near the aforementioned base. This also would force the need of security in bases and guarding both with mercs or slave or player guarding.

Anyway, the big point is to realise how every piece of the game is connected through world map, so that inmersive experience grows.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
Re: Let's make a real feeling of open world
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:17:03 pm »

Okay, so in order to own a base I need to pay money, and now pay more money for mercs, and level up another slaver alt in order to have a decent number of mercs/slaves there (5 per alt).

Even more alts would be required for protecting a base post-wipe, since it will be less mercs per character (at least less powerful ones, depending on what the limits are post-wipe). The point is that it will just be another alt to protect your base.

The people that have mercs would just farm other players that drop into their base by having them insta-killed by mercs.

And the owner wouldn't even need to be online - just sleep in the night, log-in the next afternoon to see how many players have succumbed to the mercs, collect loot.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:20:33 pm by Dishonest Abe »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:18:58 pm »

Bad idea. Only thing it will do: noobs will have their bases raped, big gangs will have enough mercs inside to wipe everyone who happen to enter and get their stuff. And no player will guard his bases 24/24.
And ultimately, most of stuff will be stored in tents and/or taxi alts.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:28:43 pm »

Bad idea. Only thing it will do: noobs will have their bases raped, big gangs will have enough mercs inside to wipe everyone who happen to enter and get their stuff. And no player will guard his bases 24/24.
And ultimately, most of stuff will be stored in tents and/or taxi alts.

I think you are right, yet I think it would be more advantages than disadvantages. Noobs can always save stuff in their tents while they feel are not strong enough for securing a base.

Furthermore (please be honest with yourselves), what makes this game so cool? its the feeling of freedom and realism, the same feeling of realising you can lose your stuff any-time or becoming rich. (Also, keeping fallout culture intact is a big factor).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:26:27 pm by Hendrix »

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43:09 pm »

Furthermore (please be honest with yourselves), what makes this game so cool? its the feeling of freedom and realism, the same feeling of realising you can lose your stuff any-time or becoming rich. (Also, keeping fallout culture intact is a big factor).

If you have 40 mercs at your base entrance, you can't possibly loose your stuff, and you surely won't become rich with only one poor random guy who got slaughtered here.

Yes, possibility of loosing stuff give it his value, and the taste of the game. Yet, this suggestion won't add any taste, because dying or loosing stuff so stupidly without any chance of revenge have no interest. It's the ability of revenge which also give taste.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:49:04 am »

Lets take a loot at this suggestion from a newbies point of view:
Tralalala, I'm just running around the desert searching for Redding
Hmmm... It should be near here.
*Encounters a base*
AWESOME, special encounter!
*Gets shot by mercs*
Wtf? RAGEQUIT!!! I lost all my stuff!!! Fockidy fock, fock fock fock!
*Makes dumb posts on the forum concerning safe spots etc.*

You can't describe it any better.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:22:16 pm »

Lets take a loot at this suggestion from a newbies point of view:
Tralalala, I'm just running around the desert searching for Redding
Hmmm... It should be near here.
*Encounters a base*
AWESOME, special encounter!
*Gets shot by mercs*
Wtf? RAGEQUIT!!! I lost all my stuff!!! Fockidy fock, fock fock fock!
*Makes dumb posts on the forum concerning safe spots etc.*

You can't describe it any better.

In the same fashion, noobs will also complain about player-player encounters in world map due to the high risk of being killed.

Come on dudes, we all know noobs complain about every risk but are those risk which, in the deeper of their souls, makes them play more and more because of the challenge.

The synthesis of what I try to explain is that we shouldn't be afraid to make fresh and challenging changes for improving game experience only because noobs/haters will complain. I am a noob,however, not a hater, and I still want to be killed thousands of times more because I love the inmersive and realistic feeling of this world.

Haraldx

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »

In this case, the newbies are we all. The ones who own the base and the mercs are huge and rich factions. As stated earlier, rich factions are ultimate, poor ones get even more poor.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:35:26 pm »

And by the way, I wasn't meaning a 100% change to show up into base while traveling over in map, only a very rare chance (1%) just to create the realistic feeling. You know the bases are out there...and hardly ever you can find one. And of course, in real life such bases would be greatly hidden...so... with this very rare chance to show up wont be difference in the risk.

Haraldx

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 12:38:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure Tracking will be implented some wipes later. Indeed, for now mercs at bases are useless.

Handyman

• Zostałem Południowcem !
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 04:27:56 pm »

i Like the idea. solution to BIG GANGS PWN small ones get ass kicked.
 I mean big bases like some farm or stuff ( the more expensive one ) can be found easy not like hidden cave or such
Why would you argue with someone, while you can kill him.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 05:21:47 pm »

What about a system that links entrance into and exit from bases and their chances to eventually show up?

Would be a per hour system:each entrance or exit by a character or merc adds one point to the "activity counter"of the next rolling hour. Under fifty point , there's no chance to be seen. at 51 point, 1% chance that the base will show up to a character crossing the square, at 52 point, 2% chance, etc, up to 145 and over points which will make it a 95% chance.

Would make huge gangs bases more likely to show up.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 05:35:56 pm »

Would make huge gangs bases more likely to show up.

And poor guy who come near these bases more likely to get raped. What a beautiful idea. I don't think it's good, but go on guys, my gang is big enough to make these traps encounters interesting in loot. I just hope some guys in BA will lack some luck and spawn into our base with 50 mercs.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 05:47:16 pm »

Yeah this suggestion will work only with limited number of mercs in base (like if you have more than 5 mercs, 6th and more will disappear), but then noone will simply use bases, if tents will be visible too, everyone will stash items in 10 ST +pack rat +strong back alts who will be offline most of time. So of couse this suggestion is useless and will produce only more annoying actions and alts.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 23 queries.