• July 05, 2024, 07:50:05 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Do you like the idea?

Yes, totally
Yes, but it need some improvements (clarify which on the topic)
No (clarify why on the topic)
No, n00bz should suffer!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Improving the playing experience for the new players  (Read 4237 times)

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
Re: Improving the playing experience for the new players
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 05:50:58 pm »

the cave ideea i do not like, but the holodisk is a good ideea. not necesarely from Mentzment, but for diferent sources, like FotA,Shi,Mordino,NCR,VC and other places
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 06:05:58 pm »

We have low numbers online mostly because all alternatives to spend your time here are gone for now, because if there's something left to achieve, you'll stay and achieve it, if people are leaving, then they simply don't know what Fallout is, and probably accidentally found FOnline, of couse FOnline will be very strange game for those who never played original Fallouts 1 and 2. Also some Fallout3/NV players can start playing FOnline, but after seeing it's 2D graphic they're leaving, it's thier problems, not problems of "harshness". If player leaving instantly after failing in achieving something and he is Fallout player, then he can't or don't know how to lose, then multiplayer game isn't for him, let him play save/load single player games where he's chosen one and center of world.

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 09:39:22 am »

LagMaster, Absolutely. This is just a "sketch" of a real suggestion. If necessary I can write the similar thing for the other factions. But, what's the problem with the cave? Why not to let people to have it for some time?

RavenousRat, You're right in some points, but I'm trying to take care of the new people, not experienced players (as you've said all alternatives are gone, which is true for the experienced players, not newbies) I'm pretty sure, that they are leaving after a while, because they don't understand how to play this, why everyone want to kill them, and how to avenge them. So, with that suggestion I'm trying to help them with the first part. Maybe you should read some feedback from the newbies, to understand my points.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 01:25:14 pm »

Most of them are enthusiastic at the start and leave because they see so many morons, not solely for the reason that it's too hard.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 02:53:24 pm »

Most of them are enthusiastic at the start and leave because they see so many morons, not solely for the reason that it's too hard.
Yeah, but you can't get rid off morons, can you? But you can make in-game start easier, one obstacle less.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 03:30:31 pm »

We have low numbers online mostly because all alternatives to spend your time here are gone for now, because if there's something left to achieve, you'll stay and achieve it, if people are leaving, then they simply don't know what Fallout is, and probably accidentally found FOnline, of couse FOnline will be very strange game for those who never played original Fallouts 1 and 2. Also some Fallout3/NV players can start playing FOnline, but after seeing it's 2D graphic they're leaving, it's thier problems, not problems of "harshness". If player leaving instantly after failing in achieving something and he is Fallout player, then he can't or don't know how to lose, then multiplayer game isn't for him, let him play save/load single player games where he's chosen one and center of world.

This pretty much sums up most of my thoughts.

Without the " harshness " i can't imagine this game any better than other MMORPG''s , i like it is " raw " uncut  , hardcore for new players you are thrown out in the wasteland you don't know shit to do or where are you  , you are forced to interact with players , gain information , make friends in order to survive , when somebody gives you your first leather armor2 it is just " Whoaaah " , i don't want to make life easier for new players in my opinion it would spoil the game expierence.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »

I often ask myself what's so "hardcore" to begin with, especially as you can just, as already pointed out, buy a damn hotel room almost "for free".. You can even just do some box lifting and buy those fucking hides from some player. Why is this considered "hardcore"?
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 03:53:13 pm »

I often ask myself what's so "hardcore" to begin with, especially as you can just, as already pointed out, buy a damn hotel room almost "for free".. You can even just do some box lifting and buy those fucking hides from some player. Why is this considered "hardcore"?

New players don't even know where to lift those boxes or even where to find information about it , your blind what to do. Alright so you get your tent gather junk for days with your small knowledge of the game shotguns , desert eagles etc etc. then one day that player gets tent raped by a follower - sounds pretty harsh and hardcore to me.

I still remember 2 months ago when i was a newbie , I almost lost my nerves playing this game , crafted sawed-off shotguns and 12GA ammo for 1 and a half hour then one thief takes it away in few seconds , every shit you loose at the begining of the game feels like you lost something very important.

You never been a newbie ? :D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:55:18 pm by T-888 »

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 04:09:48 pm »

One of the spawning locations is near hub. Naturally new players would visit this town, right? Interested players would talk to NPC. The guy giving this assignment is right at the fucking entrance. It's not the games fault if people are too stupid to read. Same goes for other starting locations aswell. They all send you to a town nearby with a small assignment to earn early caps, caps spent on hotel rooms or brahmin hides. Again, it's not the games fault.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 09:45:00 pm »

One of the spawning locations is near hub. Naturally new players would visit this town, right? Interested players would talk to NPC. The guy giving this assignment is right at the fucking entrance.
Does he constantly yell out he's got a job for someone strong?  No.  Unless you see players doing something near there and ask them about it the player isn't going to know about it....  Besides not every player has enough strength to do this quest. so :).

It's not the games fault if people are too stupid to read. Same goes for other starting locations aswell. They all send you to a town nearby with a small assignment to earn early caps, caps spent on hotel rooms or brahmin hides. Again, it's not the games fault.
How do they even know about hotel rooms?  Shit! I didn't even know how to make the tent when I got my freaking hides the first time!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:52:23 pm by Michaelh139 »
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 09:51:27 pm »

They all send you to a town nearby with a small assignment to earn early caps, caps spent on hotel rooms or brahmin hides. Again, it's not the games fault.
There were no free hotel rooms few hours after last wipe. Blame newcomers for not renting them.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 09:52:10 pm »

Does he constantly yell out he's got a job for someone strong?  No.  Unless you see players doing something near there and ask them about it the player isn't going to know about it.... 

Yeah, because it's not very common in RPG games to try to talk with people.  ::) The game isn't for people who dig quest compasses, "press button and something awesome happens" or with attention spans of a drunken monkey. Not the games fault. There is no handholding.

Besides not every player has enough strength to do this quest. so :).

Yes! There is ofcourse only one option to earn money, totally.

How do they know about hotel rooms?  Shit! I didn't even know how to make the tent when I got my freaking hides the first time!

If you'd read the manual then you'd have known that there are hotel rooms. It's been even feautured in Promovideos beforehand. Again, the game isn't responsible for your lack of awareness.

There were no free hotel rooms few hours after last wipe. Blame newcomers for not renting them.

I already said that this will be a non-issue after the update.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 09:56:34 pm »

Yeah, because it's not very common in RPG games to try to talk with people.  ::) The game isn't for people who dig quest compasses, "press button and something awesome happens" or with attention spans of a drunken monkey. Not the games fault. There is no handholding.
How does it make sense to talk to every single npc in the world?  In the real world you would end up gettin beat up for having such a loudmouth.

Yes! There is ofcourse only one option to earn money, totally.
then stop acting like it!!!  It's the only example you used, Twice! xD
If you'd read the manual then you'd have known that there are hotel rooms. It's been even feautured in Promovideos beforehand.
 There is a difference between reading a manual and getting a tutorial ingame.  Manual is extremely boring, and in fonline's case, just as long.  Promovideos?  Where do I find these when looking on forum?  They're on youtube aren't they?

Again, the game isn't responsible for your lack of awareness.
Yes, it is.  It is supposed to give a basic tutorial.
I already said that this will be a non-issue after the update.

yayyyy.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 10:03:42 pm »

How does it make sense to talk to every single npc in the world?

Never played any RPG, haven't you? Or do you play it so that you can pew pew all the NPC? Cool!

In the real world you would end up gettin beat up for having such a loudmouth.

We are not talking about the real world. Making shit up again, do we?

There is a difference between reading a manual and getting a tutorial ingame.  Manual is extremely boring, and in fonline's case, just as long.

Your problem then, not the manuals problem. Back in the days, the manuals were even bigger and detailed, people read them all the day before installing the actual game to learn how it is played. There was no Tutorial in Fallout either. It was awesome - and I highly doubt that we will ever go the handholding route with thoroughly explained ingame tutorials. Again - problem of you, apparently belonging to a newer generation of teenage gamers with short attention spans.

Yes, it is.  It is supposed to give a basic tutorial.

Interesting, by what standards?

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 10:11:16 pm »

Never played any RPG, haven't you? Or do you play it so that you can pew pew all the NPC? Cool!
No, RPGs are my favorite genre then horror-survival, I enjoy roleplaying "Raider, Group leader (Treasure hunters basically), and your generic White Knight.  And I have played fo2, beat it, was realy fun but I got a bit utterly confused at times :P.  And of course killing the npcs was very fun, but I am well-aware that this is not even half the game or even a part of the game if you choose.
We are not talking about the real world. Making shit up again, do we?
 Uh, if I said one of those "Fuck you" lines in fo2 I would get attacked.  If I suddenly went up to some guy in the real world and said "Fuck you" chances are I would get attacked as well.  See the resemblance?
Your problem then, not the manuals problem. Back in the days, the manuals were even bigger and detailed, people read them all the day before installing the actual game to learn how it is played. There was no Tutorial in Fallout either. It was awesome - and I highly doubt that we will ever go the handholding route with thoroughly explained ingame tutorials. Again - problem of you, apparently belonging to a newer generation of teenage gamers with short attention spans.
Ohoho, personal insults now... anyways,  fo2 did have a subtle tutorial, although it didn't hold your hand though it. (e.g. the temple of trials)
Interesting, by what standards?
 Well, I did say basics....  so unlesss you are referring to something else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.