"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • October 06, 2024, 07:19:41 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sensible Encounter NPC Threat Detection: Don't always attack the player.  (Read 1393 times)

It's something that's started bugging me. It doesn't matter who the NPCs are fighting. It doesn't matter that their opponents are better equipped, actually attacking them, and a much bigger threat to them than you are - they will spot you mid fight and just run straight at you. They may as well be shouting YOU ARE A PLAYER WE ARE NOT REAL as they attack you for all the sense it makes.

It doesn't matter if it's super mutants shooting lasers eyes at them, you're always the target. Even if you haven't attacked and are already running away from them, you're what's for dinner. Even after the NPCs start attacking, they're still chasing your stupid ass. I appreciate you want to cut down on players watching vs. encounters and farming the remains, but I think there are other ways of fixing that.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...

Yeah lol, it makes absolutely no sense right now, the targetting priorities in NPCs.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!

And it's quite exploitable as well.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum

Those NPCs are supposed to have a realistic behaviour which makes them act like most Players. Read: they just wanna pwn n00bs 4 da lulz.

Seriously speaking, I once again agree with Badger.

It is kind of weird how one raider/marauder always seems to single out the PC for termination, even if you're behind a wall in a city map. At later levels this is still annoying because of the chance that one of the good guys will burst you.
20:49:58 • You encounter: Ghoul crazies.
20:50:01 • You were critically hit in the head for 55 hit points, knocked out and had your armor bypassed.

pistacja

• Ninja-Nurse
    • pistacja69.deviantart.com

Try to shoot then once, they will usually change their targets even if you miss.
Works 90% with centaurs and aliens. 

It's always "It's a bluesuit, GET HIM!", and that's how the driving works, the agile driver enters the map in realtime, draws the whole attention of centaurs/floaters on him and sets the radio signal for his leveling teammates. He then proceeds to run around in circles, while his teammates enter the map and pepper the tunnel-sighted critters with bullets, but even if as Pistacja pointed out, if one could draw attention of a rogue centaur, he leaves the map then and enters it again, while the centaur runs back after the Driver.

So, while i call this teamwork rather than exploit, it's still illogical... There's a scripting-intensive possibility of NPCs estimating the danger radiating from their foes.
That means, a thug engaded in combat with NCR, encountering a lvl1 bluesuit, will set higher priority on major threat, dismissing the noob. Also, players armed with only their Unarmed skill or this would get a advantage in PvE - their enemy wouldn't expect what hit them.

If you continue this thought, you could also implement FEAR, so your average Raider Joe would rethink attacking a bunch of guys in CAs with Miniguns, running for his dear life instead, especially if he's low on HP. (Yay, ego increase! :)) That would be a refreshing and logical, or you can just imagine all of them being on drugs or plain primitive-brained.
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...

Bla bla bla bla bla! Bla-bla-bla. Blablablabla.

bla bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla...

Bla bla bla bla bla - FEAR, so your average Raider Joe would rethink attacking a bunch of guys in CAs with Miniguns, running for his dear life instead, especially if he's low on HP. (Yay, ego increase! :)) That would be a refreshing and logical, or you can just imagine all of them being on drugs or plain primitive-brained.

Oh god, TB gets even more annoying!
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Durr TB hurr.

Pfft. Nevermind then.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:09:39 pm by Lizard »
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...

Current situation 1 - Raider just rushes toward that mean ass BoS patrol and dies in the first/second round, the BoS patrol quickly loots the body, return to their places and all is cool.
Current situation 2 - Raider rushes towards you, you take out your mean ass shotgun and tear him apart in about the 3rd or 4th round in some cases. End cmbt, end turn *3 second pause due to TB mechanics*, you loot the raider and leave the encounter.

Durr TB hurr 1 - Raider sees mean ass BoS patrol and runs away, BoS patrol runs after that idiot, because he is out of range. Raider runs farther, and in about only the 5th or 4th round he is teared apart. BoS needs 2 rounds to loot the raider, because he is too far. Due to TB being buggy and annoying, the BoS needs another round to just mess with your brain and go back to their starting positions.
Durr TB hurr 2 - Raider sees you with your mean ass shotgun and runs away in fear! You came here to kill raiders, so you run after that idiot. You can kill him only in the 6th or 7th round. End cmbt, end turn *3 second pause due to TB mechanics*, you loot the raider and leave the encounter.

Pfft, you are free to argue with me :P
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.