"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 29, 2024, 03:27:27 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Hiring NPCs".  (Read 1858 times)

"Hiring NPCs".
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:40:43 am »

Alright, the idea is pretty simple.

Rather than just enslaving the followers you want, you could give a homesteader 1000-2000 caps and they'd join you under the name "mercenary" if you have enough speech skill.

-Ulrek-
Re: "Hiring NPCs".
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:47:10 am »

Or just a speech roll. I had a similar idea way back when, separating the world of mercs and followers. Mercs being way more effective in combat, to justify their existence.

I think this should be the difference between mercs and sexy new F2 style companions that I propose. You can buy Mercs, but they're just hired guns. You die, they leave. The alternative is to recruit Followers in bars - through some kind of technological wizardry they're always within a level or two of you.

You recruit them with a speech roll and they come with you for free. They're not as good as mercs, but they also don't cost anything. Mercs are hired guns, these guys are just travellers who know which end the bullets come out. They can't be told to guard anywhere, nor can they be told to follow anyone else. So Mercs are still preferable in a lot of cases, but Followers are intended to actually follow you around the wastes without you having to worry about how much money you lose if they die.

If you want to go further and add interesting long-term gameplay you'll also allow Followers to respawn after death and level up, so both you and your companions become more skilled as time goes on.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:25:23 am »

Or just a speech roll. I had a similar idea way back when, separating the world of mercs and followers. Mercs being way more effective in combat, to justify their existence.

Well, the idea was just to copy the slavery system, but change the item/skill used in it, rather than using rope, you use caps.

And unless it would overwrite something else, from what i understand you'd be able to copy the system, and save time that way. which is why i suggested this, since it'd be easier for the dev's to do in a shorter amount of time.

-Ulrek-

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:26 am »

This idea would work at New Reno (or i think so..)
There is many of those drug-dealers who maybe need better source of money.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:26:36 pm »

The alternative is to recruit Followers in bars

If you want to go further and add interesting long-term gameplay you'll also allow Followers to respawn after death and level up, so both you and your companions become more skilled as time goes on.

This is an example of how an old suggestion can get filed away, cut up and reused later as part of a larger system.  ;)
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:00:52 pm »

This means that I am taking all credit for the future development of the game. I demand 80% of server donations to fund my ideas factory.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:26:27 pm »

You can have a full share in the profits if you like :p

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:44:28 pm »

Here's your daily share badger:

Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine Whine
Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll
Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame Flame
Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults Insults
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:46:27 pm »

Indeed Crazy hit the nail, as this is all of the things you get daily for working on this game.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:51:11 pm »

Indeed Crazy hit the nail, as this is all of the things you get daily for working on this game.

Please tell me a MMO game where trolling , whining and flaming about it is uncommon ? :)

Actually this is a good idea i like it , but i would still like to see the possibility to enslave people it's just fallouty :P
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »

Here's your daily share badger:

Lovely. That's this month's rent covered.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 02:58:01 pm »

That is all of the internet - our special 2238 specific thing is being pestered to free people from hotels or to become a gm :p

There will still be slaves
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.