"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 10, 2024, 01:50:47 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spawn Timer to prevent spawning dead and subsequent crash  (Read 2409 times)

Spawn Timer to prevent spawning dead and subsequent crash
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:35:36 am »

A 1-3 second timer where anyone that spawns in immune to dmg might do some good imho.
A countdown timer over their heads will show their timer to people.
Ofcourse the timer automatically goes away upon any action (movement,inventory,etc), and it would prolly be a good idea not to allow players to shoot while under this timer.

Just a thought to give people a bit of a fair chance to fight back grid campers.
Re: Spawn Timer to prevent spawning dead and subsequent crash
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:24:39 am »

There was something like that earlier, personally I liked it more than stupid preview thing (and now some people even want to be able to refresh it, lol). However, it was giving a bit of an advantage over those who were already standing on map. And of course, some people used it only to enter repeatedly to shout insults at you while running away to safety ;) The only way to deal with them was to block their path (and btw as it could be used against anyone, it's a side effect of whole thing).
With few improvements it would be an awesome way to deal with grid camping.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:26:31 am by Kilgore »

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:02:22 pm »

I suggested spawning player when client acks it is done with loading - this would probably result in slight lag when player can see map, but cannot see anyone including themself for a second, this is not a problem at all, right?
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:09:19 pm »

Yes, I'd like to see this return too. Just makes sense.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 03:59:02 pm »

If the timer goes away as soon as they move, then, yeah, I don't see a problem with it. Talking should also make the timer go away, so, like Kilgore said, they can't just insult and run to exit.

Also, mercs should only attack after this timer goes away, to prevent the spawn crash, let the player have a chance to react, etc.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

avv

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:37:42 pm »

If the timer goes away as soon as they move, then, yeah, I don't see a problem with it. Talking should also make the timer go away, so, like Kilgore said, they can't just insult and run to exit.

Also, mercs should only attack after this timer goes away, to prevent the spawn crash, let the player have a chance to react, etc.

Yes this is excellent. This way preview can be removed entirely and people who want to do "preview scouting" actually have to enter the city to see whats in there. This way players inside the city can notice that they're being scouted. In addition grid merccamping will disappear.

The timer could be something like 5 seconds so that gridscouts wouldn't be shot when they start moving.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:49:36 pm »

I think there's still the risk of someone hiding to the extreme left/right and sniping whoever enters once they think it's clear, but this is a massive improvement, totally in favour.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:22:23 pm »

I am in favor of a timer after spawning.

That way I have time to run up on people and set off my bomb, and they can't shoot me as I approach them.

I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:26:49 pm »

I am in favor of a timer after spawning.

That way I have time to run up on people and set off my bomb, and they can't shoot me as I approach them.

If the timer goes away as soon as they move
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 05:47:51 pm »

What an excellent idea!
Wasteland is a tricky business.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 06:29:14 pm »

Here's a thought, how far away from the exit grid do players spawn? Is it possible people could line up between the spawn and the exit grid, so even if you don't move you're fucked?

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:56 pm »

Here's a thought, how far away from the exit grid do players spawn? Is it possible people could line up between the spawn and the exit grid, so even if you don't move you're fucked?
Kilgore said that, and yes, it would be possible, but, at least you have a chance to react, and that is the important part. It would still be an improvement to the current system, because you can already block the exit grid with enough people.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:38:33 pm »

Glad so many agree (more or less),
Any chance of seeing this soon (tm) then ?

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 12:47:43 pm »

Yes, I'd like to see this return too. Just makes sense.
Maybe it was said somewhere before, but still...
To prevent abusing this feature, during the spawn timer, person shouldn't be able do anything except running/walking (this includes prohibit for mercenaries using, which should be invulnerable as well, but unable to shoot)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:27:07 pm by Graf »
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 03:47:04 pm »

Wouldnt be better just to get rid of spawn bug? Or even better make player char spawn into location after his map loads?
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 18 queries.