"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 07, 2024, 02:49:22 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Quest competition  (Read 17783 times)

AHS-9

• Administrator
  • AHS-9, the Great And Terrible
Quest competition
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:23:58 pm »

We would like to announce yet another quest designing competition.

I. The rules
The aim of the competition is to design a faction-based quest together with maps and dialogs used in it. Additional scripting is not required, but all scripting needs should be noted in appropriate place.
The faction-based quest means that the quest has to be closely related to the agenda of one or more of the "big" NPC factions: Bos, Enclave, Vault City, NCR or the Raiders (basically, it is a quest that can be taken by one belonging to such a faction after talking to a faction NPC member). No special restrictions are placed otherwise.

II. The tools
A package containing latest Dialog Editor and the Mapper can be found here, together with several manuals and documentation pieces released earlier. Several dialog and map examples has been included as well.
Of course, there is a whole FOnline SDK available here (a Subversion client is required for better management of the download).

III. The criteria
While technical skill behind creation of maps (lack of ever-present holes in a wall etc.) and quality of the dialogs (native speakers have it easier) are important, the main emphasis is put on the quest design itself. There's no fine red line there, distinguishing good ones from bad ones, but some are better than the others.

IV. The awards
As with both previous competitions, no in-game rewards are offered, the authors will be offered to work with the team instead. The chosen quests will have a fair chance of being included, as a part of the long-term plan to vitalize the NPC factions.

V. Making an entry
To submit your work, send an email to contact@fonline2238.net having "[competition 3] *your_forum_nickname*" in title, with all relevant files as attachments (archived and packed or not).
Make sure it contains filled up version of Design doc template.txt file, placed in the root directory of the package.

VI. Time constraints
The competition will run until April 10. After that, we will review all the submissions.

Links to previous competitions threads:
Dialog competition
Mappers' competition

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
Re: Quest competition
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:36:08 pm »

Hell yeah! I couldn't think up of anything generous in the last competitions, but I hope this time I come up with something ground-breaking.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 01:53:56 am »

Hell yeah! I couldn't think up of anything generous in the last competitions, but I hope this time I come up with something ground-breaking.

Try to keep it clean, spend the time on polishing it, try to think what is mandatory, what makes no sense, etc. ;)
Helpful in terms of "lore" is: http://fallout.wikia.com/

If someone needs help in technical things, as in "mapper not working"  , "how does var xy work together with dialog ABC" and such, join the IRC channel #2238questhelp . I, and others will gladly help you and will welcome you there and help as much as possible, as sometimes ideas may flow, but technical things which can be solved through a little help stop people down.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:38:10 pm »

Ive wanted to do something like this for a while, I like making maps and levels but when I used this mapper before it was a bit hard to get used to and a didn't know how to do a few simple things and put it aside for a while but I picked it up again today and Wipe helped me get past my problems from before in the help channel thanks. So yea i'll see if I can come up with something cool.
Keep your head down, your eyes open and your mouth shut.

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »

For anyone with questions about the Dialog Editor (DE), a tutorial and sample dialog are available in the #2238questhelp channel topic.

Edit: Pastebin can be quite messy. Ctrl-f is your friend here.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:56:22 pm by Gunduz »
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:57:42 am »

If anyone wants help with their dialog in terms of grammar etc or if you don't speak english very well, feel free to pm me and I can help you with dialog.
Keep your head down, your eyes open and your mouth shut.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:19:06 am »

Is there anything news from competition?

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 09:45:39 pm »

Is there anything news from competition?
It ends April 10, there is still time left.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Hasina

• <(^.^<) (>^.^)>
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 02:52:00 am »

Im excited to see what everyone is coming up with  ;D
*poke*
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »

I sended my entry in yesterday. Hope you guys gonna like it.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 07:19:47 am »

Is there anything news coming?
I would like to see who got work to do quests for new season :)

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 08:12:31 am »

We are really busy in the moment with stuff that needs to be done for the next update, so we couldn't really look over it yet. It might still take a while.

Xarr

• Former Troll
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 01:16:06 am »

We are really busy in the moment with stuff that needs to be done for the next update, so we couldn't really look over it yet. It might still take a while.
if it dont include the wipe (and it doesnt) we can wait. Wait and play. Play and be happy. be happy and level up. level up and get lvl21. get lvl21 and kill people with lvl5. kill people with lvl5 and make them play no longer. make them play no longer and game gets shitty. game gets shitty and other people stop playing. other people stop playing and noone plays. noone plays and wipe. wipe and You know what i said!!!.
But that cost so much time that just wipe is easy and 2 will be done in that time  :'( <-- Beouse YOU KNOW...
I used to be a bag of dicks, but then I grew up. I gave many of you guys a hard time, but on the other side I kept myself busy with helping players, and I never gave up on that.

Still, the FOnline community is a thing of it's own class.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 12:08:38 pm »

if it dont include the wipe (and it doesnt) we can wait. Wait and play. Play and be happy. be happy and level up. level up and get lvl21. get lvl21 and kill people with lvl5. kill people with lvl5 and make them play no longer. make them play no longer and game gets shitty. game gets shitty and other people stop playing. other people stop playing and noone plays. noone plays and wipe. wipe and You know what i said!!!.
But that cost so much time that just wipe is easy and 2 will be done in that time  :'( <-- Beouse YOU KNOW...
Wipe always contains ground-breaking updates, besides Lexx said somewhere, the next update most likely is going to be a wipe, and then he said, he will also most likely announce pre-wipe madness!
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 12:46:50 pm »

Cant wait for the awesome quest(s?) we will get :)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 18 queries.