"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 10, 2024, 11:58:13 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Randomness in encouters  (Read 7537 times)

Randomness in encouters
« on: February 26, 2011, 06:19:33 am »

How to make PVE more enjoyable? Randomness is the word.
Heres what i was writtin last time about them:
Encouters
I like the way how it is now, but more randomness with piece of surety in other ways would be appreciated same as with more variety and "good squares". The map is big and this game is almost all about encouters(atleast the PVE part), the hard work in this way would be most creditable. I would love some encouters with random corpses tents or whatever where you can find, scavange some random stuff/treasures, ofcourse embattled with some critters or NPC's.
So this combinated with my another suggestion, but iam not sure if engine could support this but i'll throw it outside anyway.
Here it is. Randomness in encouters NPC's health, skills, stats and mainly stuff. Now its like - you have encoutered Raiders - everyone can imagine few punk girls with spears, guy/s with mauser and some corpses where the dead tribal women has stimpak - "cancel". This is boring. There should be some randomness, ofcourse in some limits of each encouter difficulty but still. Skills, it could be like - "Look at that mutie with laser rifle, hes totally lame" or "Kill that sniper mutie, his aimed shots are nasty".
Stuff, i know there are some limits with sprites, so some NPC's cant use rifles etc. But you could still prevent it by setting some percentage or scale of weapons. There could be some little chance for some nice weapons or other stuff too, what would make the encouter even harder and interesting.

Just dont go this way - "We implemented and made a lot of work with crafting system so nerf encouters and force people to craft" crafting is boring and should be in game just like an option, encouters should be fun and interesting, not predictable(that much). Nothing can bore you more when you make a work with some equipment, you invest time and effort into it and you'll lose it in one bad encouter or troll in city(ofcourse they would have a lot of fun, the more time and effort you spend into your stuff). It's good how it is, dont go lower or people will run in bluesuit all the time, its not matter of stuff but the pain by losing it, losing your time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:22:24 am by None »

avv

Re: Randomness in encouters
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 09:38:00 am »

It'd add more spice for sure. The lugerman and spearwoman raiders encounter is indeed getting old. The npcs could even use and drop drugs randomly. We players use assload of drugs, how come the regular robbers don't?
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:47:23 am »

I like the idea but to answer avv, farmable drugs too? No Thanks.

avv

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:52:10 am »

I like the idea but to answer avv, farmable drugs too? No Thanks.

Jet is already farmable. My point was that the drugs would be totally random. Buffout and psycho could be even very rare.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 10:43:55 am »

Randomness, you say?

What about this: you just killed the last molerat, suddenly, 5 Soviet Supermutants encounter YOU!

You will always stay sharp in combat and encounters will be more unpredictable and dangerous.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 10:52:26 am »

Randomness, you say?

What about this: you just killed the last molerat, suddenly, 5 Soviet Supermutants encounter YOU!

You will always stay sharp in combat and encounters will be more unpredictable and dangerous.
Well, do you feel safe to stay in any encouter for too long? With so many PK's dwelling in wastland, i dont (not sure if you meant by Soviet Supermutants, russian pks) . Dont derail this thread, ty.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:01:24 am by None »

Alvarez

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 11:03:26 am »

Well, do you feel safe to stay in any encouter for too long? With so many PK's dwelling in wastland, i dont(not sure if you meant by Soviet Supermutants, russian pks) . Dont derail this thread, ty.

I do not derail it, you wanted randomness. Indeed i know how it feels to get killed by PKs. I feel unsafe in encounters and that's the thrill. And that's indeed the randomness and diversity. :)

However, their radio traps could be also ambushed by something else than unsuspecting bluesuit...

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 11:11:08 am »

In Soviet Russia, the last molerat kill you and encounter 5 soviet supermutants!
Sorry, about that, I just came up with this.

Yes, Encounters need to have some randomness, would be good if you could find some random and useless stuff, example:
2,3% I will find a Cats Paw magazine on a dead Raider.
5,7% I will find a golden watch on a dead robber (because he stole it from somebody already)
etc, etc.

This also remind me one of those topics about the Explorer perk, if you have explorer perk, your chance to find such items is doubled. I hope you get my idea.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:14:00 am »

Sure, good idea just bring it on and develop these suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:19:06 am by None »

Alvarez

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:19:20 am »

Good one, i agree.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 11:19:41 am »

Jet is already farmable. My point was that the drugs would be totally random. Buffout and psycho could be even very rare.

Hm, I thought I removed Jet from all encounters, I'll have to check and fix at some point.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 11:26:28 am »

This idea could fix it too, becouse there wouldnt be any sure what you will get from NPC's, no intended farming.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:36:29 am by None »

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 11:27:31 am »

This idea could fix it too, becouse there wouldnt be any sure what will you get from NPC's, no sureness in farming.
Maybe you will get plastic explosives with 5 second fuse? ;D
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 11:31:12 am »

Maybe you will get plastic explosives with 5 second fuse? ;D
Not as that much randomness, but who would knows, maybe 8)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:33:15 am by None »

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 11:41:11 am »

Well, theres no way to make things as random as different SPECIAL, skills, etc. You can create more randomness in the different NPCs there are potentially in the encounter, which is what I was up to before I moved house - and what I will get back to as soon as I'm set up again. Its just a long process.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.