"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • October 06, 2024, 02:38:31 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Noob question ( Havent playd the game)  (Read 3358 times)

Noob question ( Havent playd the game)
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:11:50 am »

Hello, long time fallout fan ( 1, 2 ,and tactics series )

I just found out about this recently, and have watched dozens of game play videos  0.0
I would have to buy a new copy of Fallout 2 to play this, so there are a few things I want to know first, despite watching countless vids there are certain things I still cant determine.

From what I can tell this is Fallout 2 + Fallout Tactics on steroids.

here is my first impressions from watching game play videos on Youtube, so if anyone can tell me how close I am, that would be great

Things im expecting: 

1: Looks like Fallout 2 in a semi new world, I can do quests, I can build rep, be a hero etc, or I can be a '' villian' slave driving, baby Brahmin punching, thieving, wife pimping @#$$#@ and its all part of the game, and I will face the consequences for my actions.

2: looks like once you get your first gun, you can team up with people, and go raid a city, and take other players, and NPC'S's town by force? and or hide outs?

3:   is raiding, and having hideouts something you can do relatively soon in the game? or do I have to play for 30 days before I can even think of participating in these types of events?

Things I'm worried about.

1: thing im worried about is if this is a typical MMO style game where it takes forever to do anything,
am I going to be rat celler grinding, killing countless rats to get to my next level?

2: Do I have to spend an hour getting resources, and honing skills to craft my first hunting knife?
do I need to clean up brahmin poo for an hour before I can afford to buy a Nuka-Cola ?

3: Some of the vids I watched it looks like people are standing around a lot ( 3 minutes = a long time)
is there a lot of waiting around for events? or were these people just chatting?

4: I heard your character gets ''set backed'' ? if I dont play for a few days, and I come back am I going to have stuff missing?
this does not sound too appealing  -.-

Thanks, feedback is appreciated, if you liked Fallout 3 then your opinion will mean a lot less to me  :P  -.- ^_^
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:14:57 am by foonlinecurious »
Re: Noob question ( Havent playd the game)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 01:33:32 am »

1: Looks like Fallout 2 in a semi new world, I can do quests, I can build rep, be a hero etc, or I can be a '' villian' slave driving, baby Brahmin punching, thieving, wife pimping @#$$#@ and its all part of the game, and I will face the consequences for my actions.

-Mostly true, world is basically all locations from FO 1/2
http://www.fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/The_World

3:   is raiding, and having hideouts something you can do relatively soon in the game? or do I have to play for 30 days before I can even think of participating in these types of events?

- Purchasing a faction base is dependent only on a)Whether you have enough caps to buy location, and b) Knowing 2 trustworthy people with whom you can create faction.

1: thing im worried about is if this is a typical MMO style game where it takes forever to do anything,
am I going to be rat celler grinding, killing countless rats to get to my next level?

-Experience system functions with same mechanics as would be used if you were playing a single player game of Fallout. XP gain for critters is fairly generous. Is not really an issue to reach level 21 (cap) in a decent amount of time

2: Do I have to spend an hour getting resources, and honing skills to craft my first hunting knife?
do I need to clean up brahmin poo for an hour before I can afford to buy a Nuka-Cola ?

-Gathering timeouts are also fairly short, and there are many more efficient ways to make some early caps than shoveling poop. I leave it to you to discover these.

4: I heard your character gets ''set backed'' ? if I dont play for a few days, and I come back am I going to have stuff missing?

-This only happens in rare instance where server has crashed, and it rolls back to last save point, This amount of time should be no longer than 5 minutes, after some excellent fixes were made by devs long while ago.

Imprezobus

• Imprezobus here!
    • Forum Los Alamos Warriors
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:44:40 am »

Ill divide answers into two sections.

First off: Yeah, you can do quests or build reputation, but NPC reputation is worth less than shit (which you will get used to). Real reputation means that players know something about you. For now on you can be just "one of many", not the chosen one nor part of big and living society. Smaller roleplay projects are often held by smaller groups, search a lil and you can get yourself into them. This is gonna change soon, after Faction Masters will start working normally.

Then: Gun means nothing. Player-to-player reputation is worth much more, as guns can be obtainable easily, once you get used into the game.

Current alive factions are:

PvP
The North Bandits (my faction): group of raiders searching for competition, usually aggresive - yet supporting small RP movements (and some bigger ones too). Its pretty much alliance of some smaller gangs: Bang Bang Smash [Polish], Soliders of Thunderstorm [Mostly Russian], Mash Force [Mostly Russian], Red Dot Army [Polish + Russian], The Amboy Dukes [French], and one fag Linnea from Norway.
Tim, Tom and Ted Lawyers Agency (if I am correct): group of facist lawyers (no offence guys :P) trying to set up first free to live unguarded city. They got their outlaws list, and you may not except warm greetings from them, once you get there. For now trying to set up light of hope in Redding city. Im holding thumbs. http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=14178.msg116552#msg116552 .
The Wasteland Wildlife Protectors alliance of: TTTLA / VSB / HAWK / GUARDIANS / The Sarmatian(TSAR) / Crazy88 / KoTW / AC / RANDOM PEOPLE, working together in order to maintain Redding as safe place.
The Dark Brotherhood: Group of Polish players with war declared to TNB and WWF. Also known as Chosen Soliders.

Not so PvP (For those groups my information may not be accurate)
The Crazy88: Anti Player Killers faction helding many funky activities. Cant provide much more information, sorry :p
The Vault Silene Brahminy: old faction, supporting WWP (AFAIK), for now not so active (or maybe having their own fun without help from outside)
The Sarmatians: Another warm faction.
The Street Queens: Polish faction oriented for helping polish newcomers. Led by Wichura.
The Guardians: Another warm faction.
The Broken Hills Hunters: Led succesful roleplay project in Broken Hills for mentionable peroid of time, for now trying to get into TC (Town Control)

PS. mentioned above facions: please write me what should I post in here, cause I really dont know how to describe you guys.
Also, those nonPK groups which would like an adversitement here, lemme know :P

PvP wannabees
Murder Death Kill: bad behavioured player killers. During their cooperation with TNB they felt big and strong, now, after being kicked - not as loud as before.
Section 8: I heard that they are player killers, but I never seen them, and those rumours were spread by bluesuits.*
Dogs of War: Also known as freeloot lords, being in conflict with MDK.

*Bluesuit is default cloth in here, means you have nothing... To loose. Bluesuits are usually considered as trolls/griefers, and therefore often killed on sight.

Raiding cities needs you to join a faction, as mechanic and political reality of the game wont able you to do any real PvP alone. If you manage to find one alone guy to rip off from stuff, he will call his friends in 98/100 causes.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:31:24 pm by Imprezobus »
Self-proclaimed best guide in the wastes.
http://www.law.netarteria.eu/files/bus.jpg by MACabra, edit by Frozen Mind
Snackish: pks pks pks. Kilgore: BBS is here, town is safe

Fridge_Man

• The Guardians
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:47:29 am »

I was more a Fallout 1-2 fan and less a Mmorpg fan too when i joined this, and i will try to answer.

Things im expecting: 

Yep. You can play everything from holy wanderer to public enemy. 
2: looks like once you get your first gun, you can team up with people, and go raid a city, and take other players, and NPC'S's town by force? and or hide outs?
It is easy to find others to team up, and its neccessary too. Raiding whole locations, especially towns, is rather hard even for big gangs.
If you read a bit in the wiki and board before you start, you will have a gun, a leather jacket and a tent after 20 minutes.
To level a char up to lv21 can take a bit longer of course

Things I'm worried about.

This season travel time was expanded, so this takes alot of time. Most players hope for a change in that.
To level up you have to repeat stuff of course, but there are several ways to level, such as killing, crafting, healing, use of outdoorsman, quests...

Low and mid tier stuff is easy to get, as you can loot most stuff from NPCs. High tier stuff is harder to get, the best armor takes
like 2 hours of mining and crafting

3: Some of the vids I watched it looks like people are standing around a lot ( 3 minutes = a long time)
is there a lot of waiting around for events? or were these people just chatting?
Dont know which event video you saw, but some are about roleplay (including chat) and some are just PvP/PvE deatchmatch
The game already had some so called wipes, the server is resetted and all chars deleted. Such a wipe is announced sometime before it happens, and right now noone knows if/when there will be another one. Usually a wipe includes some bigger updates. Unless that, a char is not deleted when u
do not login for a while. What can be deleted is tent, if it is not visited once in 4 weeks.

Imprezobus

• Imprezobus here!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:51:49 am »

My new character (8th?) has for now about 300 Rats killed, bout 500 more to go until MAX lvl. It may be iritating, especially considering the fact that in current realities its just lack of evolution abilities (or intentional hardcore) to play only one character.

You may spend hours on getting those resources, or you may find yourself a better way to get it. For example hunting some bandits (or bigger, green things) with some friends generate greater income than mining alone. Game has big crafting system, which I personally dislike (but Im playing this game for 17 months, so I might just get bored in it, its your own role to find it out).

Unfortunatly for now game is much about waiting. Your character walking on desert is really slow, and often attacked. I suggest switching to real time, cause you will not be able to survive even short walk in Turn Based (survive means your mental health will not be harmed).

I havent felt any setback for few months already, dont worry bout that :)

Despite all the problems mentioned above, the game has... Something...
And take under consideration fact that I am playing for 17th month, and Im one of freshmans in my group :P
On your To-Do list: join #2238 on irc.forestnet.org port:6667
say you are new, and you are searching for newcomers friendly faction. Also you may get some propositions via forum.

Hope that this will come in handy and that someday I will meet you on battlefield or inside a warm bar. :>

PS. I think that some of the questions answered here could be moved somewhere. And also, Id be glad if topic with "current political situation" would be made, locked one, without any flame upcoming, desribed by reality, not by measuring dicks.

Edit @ down (Gorlak + Cryo):
I totally agree with Cryo, talking about big player-to-player activity is based on knowledge of current political situation, and we put lil bit of own effort in order to describe this situation for a person asking about "raiding". Aint that perfectly okay?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:32:44 am by Imprezobus »

Ztormi

• A questionable sexual device
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:58:17 am »

There are several things why I love this game.

-It's very falloutish, if there was one thing I hoped when playing fallout 2 I always wanted it to have multiplayer mode. This is it with many, many more crazy and fun things added.

-There is no certain path you need to take. Crafting seems to be the easiest solution to gather gear but there are many other ways to get the equipment you need. You can play in a large faction, smaller gang or just be a lone wanderer or trader.

-It's challenging at first and you can feel the atmosphere of harsh wasteland with no to very few laws. Everyone is a sitting duck. It's amazing.

-The world pretty much evolves around the actions of gangs and players during the game. Some towns may turn from peaceful friendly communes into deadly killzones.

Give it a try, if you liked fallout1 and 2 you won't regret it. Atleast I didn't ;D
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:24:03 am »

Just to correct one point (things are changing and I know it's a fucking mess!!)

The Wasteland Wildlife Protectors (if I am correct): group of facist lawyers (no offence guys :P) trying to set up first free to live unguarded city. They got their outlaws list, and you may not except warm greetings from them, once you get there. For now trying to set up light of hope in Redding city. Im holding thumbs :>

TTTLA:
group of facist lawyers (no offence guys :P)
+ have set up a government under their control to live in an unguarded city: Redding.
They got their outlaws list, and you may not except warm greetings from them, once you get there
=> BUT THEY HAVE LOST CONTROL OF Wasteland Wildlife Protectors government which is making it's own diplomacy with big gangs.
=> Wasteland Wildlife Protectors STILL HOPE that despite of emancipation TTTLA WILL STILL HELP TO PROTECT REDDING which is not sure  :-\

Wasteland Wildlife Protectors is so far the only non-pvp faction in North wasteland (farmers, families, of course some fighters but only for the police in town) => It is regrouping the citizens of Redding which live like inhabitants of a small town in a devastated wasteland => trying to maintain peace by giving tributes to big gangs and by killing small raiders gangs with their own militia

WWP Government here
=>  http://orphans.forum-actif.net/t1051-current-wwp-government
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:31:53 am by Cryofluid »
TTTLA for a New World Order

headshot

• Killian
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:21 am »

The Wasteland Wildlife Protectors (if I am correct): group of facist lawyers (no offence guys :P) trying to set up first free to live unguarded city. They got their outlaws list, and you may not except warm greetings from them, once you get there. For now trying to set up light of hope in Redding city. Im holding thumbs :>

This fits TTTLA better. About Wildlife Protectors, is just a project of bring some life and activities into the town of Redding, nothing above. It was Lawyers' idea, but currently most of WWP members are non-Lawyers. Mostly TSAR, Crazy 88 and non-faction guys like me. So, in summary it's Broken Hills Hunters alike just held by another gang in another place.

Oh no, you can get some experience points in another way than killing critters. For example First Aid and Doctor skill works more like in Fallout Tactics, but with cooldown. Also, you can get some experience from this few quests available, crafting items, repairing things and avoiding random encounters.

Well... yes. And this thing puts scavenging above crafting unfortunately.

Depends of video you've watched.

No. If you have your stuff in own tent or base it shouldn't dissappear, just taken by someone who see your place on worldmap. Otherwise, it was just a rollback due to some technical issues.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:33:37 am by headshot »
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:23:51 am »

Wasn't this thread about some basic questions?
Do not hijack threads. Mod could please remove all these irrelevant posts?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:59:19 am »

Wasn't this thread about some basic questions?
Do not hijack threads. Mod could please remove all these irrelevant posts?

On the contrary, it's totally on topic.

I know most GM literally HATE big gangs and their quarrels and pressure is high to get rid of them all (delete of namecolorizing was a strong hit in stomach).

But well I hope one day you will understand that those big gangs quarrels are part of the game, deal with it (even if I agree many kindergarten joustings are very boring sometimes)

So it IS NOT OFF TOPIC to describe to a new player how the things are going up with big gangs in game.

Not all big gangs do that but many try to make efforts to entertain newcomers and to give them some envy to keep on playing (not all of course, motherfuckers are everywhere).
Please, have at least a small respect for those people.
It is very humiliating to be always treated as BUGS of fonline.
TTTLA for a New World Order

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:40:05 am »

(delete of namecolorizing was a strong hit in stomach)

I am pretty sure it had some other reason than GMs wanting it. Also most GMs aren't against big factions, as far as I know.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 11:43:53 am »

I am pretty sure it had some other reason than GMs wanting it. Also most GMs aren't against big factions, as far as I know.

Some are even recruited out of them or were in the past members of some factions. I personally don't have any problems with these too, only with the bad examples found on our lovely server. :P

LeMark

• Tim & Tom & Ted Lawyer Agency
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 02:21:19 pm »

Ill divide answers into two sections.

First off: Yeah, you can do quests or build reputation, but NPC reputation is worth less than shit (which you will get used to). Real reputation means that players know something about you. For now on you can be just "one of many", not the chosen one nor part of big and living society. Smaller roleplay projects are often held by smaller groups, search a lil and you can get yourself into them. This is gonna change soon, after Faction Masters will start working normally.

Then: Gun means nothing. Player-to-player reputation is worth much more, as guns can be obtainable easily, once you get used into the game.

Current alive factions are:

PvP
The North Bandits (my faction): group of raiders searching for competition, usually aggresive - yet supporting small RP movements (and some bigger ones too). Its pretty much alliance of some smaller gangs: Bang Bang Smash [Polish], Soliders of Thunderstorm [Mostly Russian], Mash Force [Mostly Russian], Red Dot Army [Polish + Russian], The Amboy Dukes [French], and one fag Linnea from Norway.
Tim, Tom and Ted Lawyers Agency (if I am correct): group of facist lawyers (no offence guys :P) trying to set up first free to live unguarded city. They got their outlaws list, and you may not except warm greetings from them, once you get there. For now trying to set up light of hope in Redding city. Im holding thumbs. http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=14178.msg116552#msg116552 .
The Dark Brotherhood: Group of Polish players with war declared to TNB and WWF. Also known as Chosen Soliders.

Not so PvP (For those groups my information may not be accurate)
The Crazy88: Anti Player Killers faction helding many funky activities. Cant provide much more information, sorry :p
The Vault Silene Brahminy: old faction, supporting WWP (AFAIK), for now not so active (or maybe having their own fun without help from outside)
The Sarmatians: Another warm faction.
The Street Queens: Polish faction oriented for helping polish newcomers. Led by Wichura.
The Guardians: Another warm faction.
The Tsars?: Another warm faction.
The Broken Hills Hunters: Led succesful roleplay project in Broken Hills for mentionable peroid of time, for now trying to get into TC (Town Control)

PS. mentioned above facions: please write me what should I post in here, cause I really dont know how to describe you guys.
Also, those nonPK groups which would like an adversitement here, lemme know :P

PvP wannabees
Murder Death Kill: bad behavioured player killers. During their cooperation with TNB they felt big and strong, now, after being kicked - not as loud as before.
Section 8: I heard that they are player killers, but I never seen them, and those rumours were spread by bluesuits.*
Dogs of War: Also known as freeloot lords, being in conflict with MDK.

*Bluesuit is default cloth in here, means you have nothing... To loose. Bluesuits are usually considered as trolls/griefers, and therefore often killed on sight.

Raiding cities needs you to join a faction, as mechanic and political reality of the game wont able you to do any real PvP alone. If you manage to find one alone guy to rip off from stuff, he will call his friends in 98/100 causes.

I want to correct something, The Lawyer Agency is in PVP a part of a alliance of : VSB / HAWK / GUARDIENS / The Sarmatian(TSAR) / C88 / KoTW / AC / RANDOM PEOPLE. We are not more PVP than other, in fact now the biggest part of this alliance come from new faction like Crazy88.

Imprezobus

• Imprezobus here!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »

Im trying to update those informations. Too bad wiki has innacurate news. :)

for now this is most advancced feature of 2238. And this feature cannot be described properly without information about gangs. So its not offtopic.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:18:36 pm by Imprezobus »

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 03:46:38 pm »

Im trying to update those informations. Too bad wiki has innacurate news. :)

Too bad all those gangs informations and stuff are completely irrelevant to the OP.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.