"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 05:24:40 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Multiple Conversations.  (Read 1292 times)

Multiple Conversations.
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:13:30 am »

All of you know that 2 people cannot be talking to an NPC at once. I suggest we change that for Traders.

I have 2 possible suggestions.

#1 - Allow merchants to have 2 people speaking to them at once

#2 - Extend the trading time to one minute.

I know of reasons why #1 might not be implemented, so I am going to talk about number 2.
The system was implemented to keep people from 'hogging' the trader. This simply does not work, if I wanted to keep someone from talking to an NPC all I would have to do is switch out between speech and barter and the timer resets. Same if I wanted to extend my shopping time.

Many merchants have a VERY large selection of goods, that cannot even be browsed within the 30 second time limit.
I don't like being rushed when I'm trying to trade with someone, even though no one else is around. It takes me a good amount of time just to do the math with caps when I'm bartering (trading items for items, then evening out the balance with caps)

That is why I think it should be implemented, open for criticism and reprimands.
Re: Multiple Conversations.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:06:46 am »

You should probably scout out what the trader has first and determine what you want, then return to try purchase it with items/caps (approximate the worth of the items if they are deteriorated weapons). Most likely if you hog the trader other impatient players will use steal or whatever other option to get the animation and hope you are looking at it.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:12:44 am »

Most likely if you hog the trader other impatient players will use steal or whatever other option to get the animation and hope you are looking at it.
Yes, but if you're empty bluesuiter with strange trollish name, you won't care much about stealing animation, you'll just perma talk to NPC and other guy will to use push to move you further, but when he's doing so, you can easily escape talk and fast move closer to trader and start chat with him again. So if you want to make trader unaccessable, you'll do that in any case, and the only way to protect against it is to kill that troll.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:48:59 am »

Increase your barter to increase barter time.
I have a 9 CH alt which has 50 seconds of barter time by default due to the higher barter.
That alt has no additional points put into barter.

TheGreenHand

• TGHGWC
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:24:14 pm »

Also make sure to use the item type options, like Armor, guns, Drugs, Other or whatever.  It'll help with browsing their inventory.
And, use your middle mouse scroll button, not the arrows in the window.  It scrolls down the list a lot quicker.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:41:48 am »

Alright, I know how to use the barter ok?
Lets focus on the suggestion.

What I am saying is this, the timer was made to make sure that people didn't hog the NPCs. Simple fact being that if I was doing it just to be an ass, I would just push the NPC away, or the user away and that would work the same way. The tool is a good idea, but it hurts more than it helps.

I think the timer should be upped, or removed.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 03:43:39 am »

Alright, I know how to use the barter ok?
Lets focus on the suggestion.

What I am saying is this, the timer was made to make sure that people didn't hog the NPCs. Simple fact being that if I was doing it just to be an ass, I would just push the NPC away, or the user away and that would work the same way. The tool is a good idea, but it hurts more than it helps.

I think the timer should be upped, or removed.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:51:45 am »

Everytime timer about to run out just give him a cap or a bullet to reset it...
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:56:48 am »

Please. Read the entire post.

For some traders, its hard to even browse their selection without the timer running out, and if the item you want is far down in the list you hardly have enough time to find it, since its identical to all the others (if you are looking for one in a good condition)

I'm just saying, it was implemented to stop something it CANT stop.
I think it would be convenient for it to be lengthened.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 04:17:29 am »

Please. Read the entire post.
Ready my post at all?  I was talking a solution without poking in the shoulder more.  Just sacrifice a cap or bullet for an extra 30+ seconds, its not that big a deal.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 04:31:32 am »

Its pointless, I don't want to have to do that because they tried to make a failsafe system that doesn't work, (no offense, its a good idea but it just isn't helping the way you think)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.