Author Topic: Character Animations  (Read 131260 times)

Offline Luther Blissett

Re: Character Animations
« Reply #285 on: January 22, 2012, 05:00:03 pm »
There's certainly no problem in people rendering the models / animations out for use in other projects, but as stated, the file space taken up by the 3d files is comparatively small, especially when considering that "adding a gun" involves merely adding an extra .x file and texture, rather than adding new frames of animation for all possible skin, gender, clothing and hair combinations.

By way of a very simplified diagram, if we think of :
Skin tone : black / white / brown
Clothing : red / yellow / green
Weapon : gun / knife / hammer

In 3d, that is seven models (body x2, clothing x2, weapon x3) and 12 textures. In sprites, it is a full set of all animations for 54 different character models. If we were to then add for example two different "hat" options, that'd be 9 models and 14 textures, or 162 full sets of sprite animations.

Then if we decide to add an alternate trouser colour (say blue for example), that's 9 models and 16 textures, or 324 full sets of sprite animations. Then we add another weapon, 10 models and 17 textures, or 648... you see how sooner or later it's going to go a bit mental - and looking at the file sizes of existing sprites, we're perhaps looking at 3GB of sprite files, or about 15MB of 3d stuff.

Of course, this only applies for "maximum customisation with all models, textures and objects interchangeable", where unless a "layered sprite" system (like FO tactics) is used, then 3D is the only option. However, for smaller projects which require a couple of extra human models (i.e. the little girl model for example) then rendering the sprites is definitely a good idea. If someone was able to set up some template files for all animations and all directions, I think it'd certainly be useful for the modding community as a whole.

« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2012, 05:23:25 pm »
Yeah, that makes sense, in a logarythmical scary way. Yet the animation export from Blender to .x remained unsolved, but recently i found this on YouTube, that looks pretty interesting so far. It seems that i have to write another tutorial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujd2l9wVAsU
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2012, 07:03:53 pm »
This does look quite promising - he's got it working in DX viewer, which as he says is a good indication that the mesh and animations are working properly.

Also - do you still have the files from here? They got "megauploaded". I don't think I managed to try them at the time. I certainly didn't respond past "I'll try and have a look tomorrow if I get a bit of free time" - I suspect the "free time" never happened :( Anyway, I'd like to have a look at these and see if I can get things working. The sooner we can get Blender into a working model>animation>game workflow, the better.

Also, I've been testing a lot of things with interpreting / adjusting / editing animations in Fragmotion and have had a small degree of success - there's some early draft versions of some stuff I was testing for Surf's What Remains mod here and here - they're both technically a bit shit, but to be honest they're more testing "proof of concept" rather than intended to be used as shown. I've had the little crouched-over-monster guy running around in game and animating correctly. As I'm sure you can see, I need a little more practice with this, but if I can perfect it on a technical level, I can at least start putting a tutorial together so some slightly more skilled animators can have a go (though I'm still not sure if anyone understands the last one I tried to write - I find this stuff quite difficult to explain).

« Reply #288 on: February 21, 2012, 07:06:54 pm »
I know its fast still anyway I just wanted to show that its in the work and things are getting done slowly but surely. I concentrate on getting the poses that we can see in the frms later with scaling the lenght of the animation it can be made smother. I will use gif next time I think
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oaprOwOvN8" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oaprOwOvN8</a>

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2012, 07:32:21 pm »
Very nicely done, Jotisz! Keep up the great work.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2012, 06:34:17 pm »
Hi, so I finished converting the animations to female. Now it's about spotting errors and make the corrections they need.
 But also special death anims. If I could make it work right, it would be great. I think it can be done with scripts, but I need people that knows what they're doing, and that's not me  ;).

I found this piece of code:

Code: [Select]
{
int anim1 = cr.GetAnim1();
int anim2 = ANIM2_3D_KNOCK_FRONT;

switch(actionExt)
{
case COND_DEAD_FRONT:         anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_PRONE_FRONT;   break;
case COND_DEAD_BACK:          anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_PRONE_BACK;    break;
case COND_DEAD_BURST:         anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_BURST;         break;
case COND_DEAD_BLOODY_SINGLE: anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_BLOODY_SINGLE; break;
case COND_DEAD_BLOODY_BURST:  anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_BLOODY_BURST;  break;
case COND_DEAD_PULSE:         anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_PULSE;         break;
case COND_DEAD_PULSE_DUST:    anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_PULSE_DUST;    break;
case COND_DEAD_LASER:         anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_LASER;         break;
case COND_DEAD_EXPLODE:       anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_EXPLODE;       break;
case COND_DEAD_FUSED:         anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_FUSED;         break;
case COND_DEAD_BURN:          anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_BURN;          break;
case COND_DEAD_BURN2:         anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_BURN;          break;
case COND_DEAD_BURN_RUN:      anim2 = ANIM2_3D_DEAD_BURN_RUN;      break;
default: break;
}

I don't understand much , and it does not matter what this says, but I believe there is a Condition for each type of death that triggers an action.
What I would need is ,for example: when COND_DEAD_BURST is called, it triggers some command that changes my character body, and after that play ANIM2_3D_DEAD_BURST.
But I doubt the game would understand that line  ;D    Is it possible to do so?

Of course, I'll work on the animations anyway. That's all, goodbye. I might post some vid later.

EDIT: I got it working!! :) not perfect but it works. Now I have to go, it's late.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:06:04 am by Karpov »

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2012, 09:56:19 am »
*Waiting for new video*

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2012, 05:52:26 pm »
There. It worked better than I expected.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6asBjSy5W8" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6asBjSy5W8</a>

Offline Perteks

• It's made of vague and to do lists!
« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2012, 07:06:50 pm »
Melting should be more bloody i think :P And first burst death uh missing red dots on him? But Overall very cool

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2012, 07:31:02 pm »
Melting should be more bloody i think :P And first burst death uh missing red dots on him? But Overall very cool

Definately. Now that I made it work in the game, I'll start adding some blood and stuff, and making better animations.

« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:11 pm »
Definitely good work, Karpov. You have my applause.
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2012, 08:45:48 pm »
Good indeed.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2012, 08:54:55 pm »
Good job but I have objections to the minigun critical death animation.
The character doesn't move from side to side enough and it kinda looks plastic.

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2012, 09:08:02 pm »
Haha! Again awesome-great-super-cool-nice-very good progress and movie from game! I like it! And I like your mini roleplay messages in movie :D

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:48 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm so happy for having this working properly after all this time. About the animations, I think that laser and single shot critical are the best, all of the rest need some work. I added the blood in the floor from the normal death to the plasma death, and it looks better now.
 Blood is not easy to do. I can't use alpha channels as I wanted to, because the target highlight does not care about them. So I have to do it manually. I'll try to add bigger chunks of flesh and more blood drops.
 I think we can use the same principle to turn the character into 2d for flame and pulse deaths, so, no need for them I guess. That leaves only one thing to solve...the explosion death.