Author Topic: Character Animations  (Read 131233 times)

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
Re: Character Animations
« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2011, 07:29:08 pm »
Nice job on jacket skin, ponytail looks ugly with those hair tho :d.
I had to eliminate the idle animation because it was playing every time after the other animation stopped, so I could not see the transition.
Are there any idle animations on hero sprites? Don't even remember there ever being any.
I am pretty good (I think) at 2d stuff
Most of skins out there are hurting :d. It's often reason why some 3D counterparts look so bad.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #241 on: December 14, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »
Most of skins out there are hurting :d. It's often reason why some 3D counterparts look so bad.

Uh? Could you elaborate on that, especially in combination with what you quoted?

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #242 on: December 14, 2011, 08:22:01 pm »
I mean those random animations that play when you are not moving; scratching his head , checking the weapon, etc. Well... there is nothing random about them in the 3d critters, they seem to play every time, so I just leave the static pose for every animation set, maybe there could be added as different animation some time.
  The jacket skin is mostly your work Johnnybravo, I applied your shader to the jacket and the pants, and created a specular map from the diffuse map. The idea is to have haircuts with ponytail, and not a separate layer for them. But for testing purposes, everything counts. It is useless layer, and it could be used for more interesting things.

I think 3d is hard at the beginning mostly because you have to understand you are working with an additional dimension in space, but you can't actually see it. It's like sculpting but with only one eye  ;D You can't see the depth, so that could be confusing. Once you know where you are, and how to move around the workspace, learning the software is just a matter of time.

I finished the rifle animation set. The only problem is that the male character has a bigger body, so the holstered rifle looks a little bit off when it's on the woman's back, but its not that bad.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIt8oExGFDE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIt8oExGFDE</a>
Let me know if you see something wrong. Sometimes it is easy for me to fix but hard to spot.
These animation sets take some more time, because they have 2 holster, 2 or 1 shoot and dodge all in the same file, so its 5 animations to be fixed.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:51:50 pm by Karpov »

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2011, 11:40:34 pm »
I mean those random animations that play when you are not moving; scratching his head , checking the weapon, etc. Well... there is nothing random about them in the 3d critters, they seem to play every time, so I just leave the static pose for every animation set, maybe there could be added as different animation some time.

Talking to Cvet about it might help something. If he can do something engine-wise, evil hax0ry isn't needed.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2011, 12:08:36 am »
Uh? Could you elaborate on that, especially in combination with what you quoted?
If you are good in 2d or painting, you can greatly contribute to 3D depository by improving skins for existing models. Some guys did really great jobs on their models and on diffuse layers for those as well, however others did do nice models but left skin part on others - and unfortunately result is not always optimal. There are also plenty of models which need specular reflection painted to look any good.

Also Karpov should know more, as he was adding some of the stuff recently and showcased it as well.
EDIT:
@Karpov: watching that onslaught twice gave me an idea how to implement flash. Need to check out how to get muzzle coordinates (or at least model rotation, that should be much easier) in shader and build dynamic lighting using some already existing variables given by engine. Will just have to setup everything after being busy quite a lot with college issues :d.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:17:51 am by Johnnybravo »
"This is your forum."

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #245 on: December 15, 2011, 12:31:57 am »
If you are good in 2d or painting, you can greatly contribute to 3D depository by improving skins for existing models. Some guys did really great jobs on their models and on diffuse layers for those as well, however others did do nice models but left skin part on others - and unfortunately result is not always optimal. There are also plenty of models which need specular reflection painted to look any good.

Ah, now I know what you mean. The problem with this is, kinda like Karpov said - it requires the user to think in an additional dimension - editing a 2d texture is no problem, but imaging it later to be stretched/wrapped around the model and how to draw over it is kind of weird for me. :P But the leather armor you showed should be pretty straightforward, hm. I'll give it a try. :p

Karpov - once again very good looking. Got nothing to complain there - other than that I'd like to have them all NOW! ;P

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #246 on: December 15, 2011, 12:42:40 am »
I suggest you check out how karpov did leather jacket (you'll need to paint reflection as additional file to get it right in all possible angles), just copycat stuff in fo3d files (they are text files not binary data so it's fairly easy to edit them) and ask if there is anything that is not clear.
And, well... thanks for giving it a try :d.
"This is your forum."

« Reply #247 on: December 15, 2011, 01:52:36 am »
Offtopic for 2 previous posts: I've just played with textures for fun, what I noticed, to see pixels it has to be 4096x4096 !!! otherwise it is smoothed somehow. At 8192x8192, FOnline 3d engine gave me what I wanted - texture with cutted palette was similar to 2d background and sprites. Am I missing something?
no Wez no fun...
http://rudo-brody.pl/uploads/2011-12-24_0012.png
everyday my english loose 1point :/

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #248 on: December 15, 2011, 03:40:34 am »
@baaelSiljan: I think that's the engine's texture filter. Maybe you could try to force Anisotropic filter from your video card control panel.

@Johnnybravo: do you mean a light effect inside the shader for weapons fire? Sounds nice.

About the textures: Now that we have those shaders, the idea is to make a flat texture and use specular maps for highlights.
 Specular maps are simple: black sections are 0% shiny, and white are 100% shiny. If you have a very dark grey it will have some specularity too.
 However, the specular map determines the intensity of the highlights, and not the surface smoothness. The surface smoothness is set on the fo3d file as "Specular_Power", higher values give smoother surfaces, like car paint or ceramic; while lower values give a less smooth specularity, like brushed metal, rubber, or skin.

PS: I had some trouble with the rifle position in her hands, so I have to fix that before I can upload it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:43:15 am by Karpov »

« Reply #249 on: December 15, 2011, 11:18:22 am »
@baaelSiljan: I think that's the engine's texture filter. Maybe you could try to force Anisotropic filter from your video card control panel.

it gives me nothing, turned anything off and still same, I guess it some kind of mip mapping or similar in game's engine, nvm end of offtopic ;)
no Wez no fun...
http://rudo-brody.pl/uploads/2011-12-24_0012.png
everyday my english loose 1point :/

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #250 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:26 pm »
512x512 is all you need, anything else is a waste.
Specular maps in current shader apply whole RBG spectrum, however you can use black/white if you want reflection to look so (as it is on sprites I guess)

do you mean a light effect inside the shader for weapons fire? Sounds nice.
Yeah, the shadow beneath person do not move, nor the light itself cast any, so it takes just point light to reproduce.
"This is your forum."

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2011, 03:01:14 pm »
epic Karpov, just epic

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #252 on: December 17, 2011, 10:20:39 pm »
Just converted the minigun animation, but somehow the animation for the female character in the original sprites holsters the weapon to the other side, so I might have to do that one again. Also the "punch" animation is converted, which was also slightly different. There was going to be a third animation set, but I had some trouble with that one, so I went like    >:(   and could not finish it.

Here's the video
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhG6qDLmapc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhG6qDLmapc</a>

« Reply #253 on: December 17, 2011, 11:35:53 pm »
What's that, Rocky or a one million dollar baby?  ;D

Now that's showcasing!
Wasteland is a tricky business.

« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2011, 08:40:43 pm »
A little show off from the mutie he is doing some idling stuff. Don't mind the look of the char just concentrate on the animation...