Author Topic: Character Animations  (Read 131372 times)

Offline runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
Re: Character Animations
« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:28 pm »
Good work Karpov :)
You always surprise people with some time passed from last posting.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #226 on: December 12, 2011, 12:21:45 am »
Love it, fancy as always.

« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2011, 09:25:44 am »
Long live Mr Karpov.
It is close to complete all animations....

« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2011, 12:25:15 pm »
Long live Mr Karpov.
It is close to complete all animations....

Did i missed something?

Male, female, fatman, midget, child, supermutant, ghoul, hooker, junkie, mexican, Shi, doctor animations are almost done?

Holy shit.
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2011, 01:53:52 pm »
In the initial stages, we can likely get away with copying the animations from model to model. They'd look odd, but would be playable (as long as the skeletons match).

The fatman tests I did a while back were just using the basic hero human animations, and he worked to a degree - though there were glitches i.e. his fat belly and a rifle intersecting in the "rifle idle" pose. They'd be playable as a temporary fix, then the proper animations can be added at a later date - very much a case of just dropping new files over the old ones.

As you rightly point out, eventually there'll be a lot more to do - but I imagine adjusting existing animation sets to different models is likely going to be easier than having to make everything from scratch.

Additionally, there may have to be death animation things set up for every armour (sliced up armour models) as well as every body type. Regardless, this is excellent progress and proving that the death animations are possible is very good for morale, and very good for showing people what is possible :)

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2011, 08:47:48 pm »
I think there is so much variety already in one body type, and we dont need that amount of character models.
The main difference between the hero sprite and the peasant NPCs is the animation, not the body itself.
  I guess that Strong, Thin and Standard bodytypes would be enough. In that case you can use thin model for peasants, with a different walk/run animation, and it would look totally different.
  I would also discard Fat, because I don't think many people could be fat in the wasteland, just rich people like Mordino.
Don't forget, that animations hold skeleton proportions, so I could create a new animation for the standard character that makes his shoulders thinner, or his head twice as big, like some kind of FEV mutation, only by changing the animation. In fact, what I am doing with female animations is quite similar. If I use one of the converted animations into the male model, he would become smaller, even if the model is still the same.

About these female animation conversion, for those who are curious, here's what I have to do:
First, load the file for the male animation. Then select the skeleton and load the female structure into it. And finally play the animation to see what I have to correct. Normally it is keeping her feet on the ground, because they are misplaced after the conversion. And also manually create a transition between the action and the female pose, so that she begins and ends in the idle position, which differs from the original male animation. After that exporting is very easy.
  It's not difficult, just requires some time to fix those things I mentioned. So far I have 4 of 19  ;D But I'll be working on them this week.
Thanks for your support.

Edit: a small comparison of animation FPS. First 13FPS ,then 30FPS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIE09v1Dg
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:29:18 pm by Karpov »

« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2011, 10:54:37 pm »
incredible!  :o

at this 13fps and 30fps, somehow 13fps looks more natural :)
no Wez no fun...
http://rudo-brody.pl/uploads/2011-12-24_0012.png
everyday my english loose 1point :/

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2011, 11:03:37 pm »
Indeed, it could even be a bit less fps for my taste. :P I am in love with the female "use on" animation!

Is it just me or is the female body "sliding" for a wee bit when standing up from ground, right before switching to normal character stance? It looks a wee bit off. Other than that, great work as per usual Karpov. :)

« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2011, 11:16:17 pm »
yeah I seen it too, little slide and lack of one or two frames when hands come to standard pose. BTW Karpov rulez!
no Wez no fun...
http://rudo-brody.pl/uploads/2011-12-24_0012.png
everyday my english loose 1point :/

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #234 on: December 13, 2011, 02:11:12 am »
I can see it now. I just fixed it. It was set 2 frames shorter in the exporter, probably the same for male, I have to check. Also fixed the sliding.
 Thanks for pointing me that, I often miss that kind of things.

I think low fps look much better, but it does not seem to affect the translation of the character in space, so walking and running look silly.

« Reply #235 on: December 13, 2011, 09:27:36 am »
Nice!  8) I can now sit back and watch.
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2011, 11:33:48 pm »

No need to explain that one

I converted the pickup animation, but also made an alternate version. There was nothing wrong with the original animation, I just wanted to see if I could make it a bit more femminile.

First the original animation three times, then the new animation.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrNub_RRXOc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrNub_RRXOc</a>

I had to eliminate the idle animation because it was playing every time after the other animation stopped, so I could not see the transition.

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2011, 11:42:43 pm »
Legendary! "Dat ass". :D

It looks really good! And I'm glad I could point out some bug in the previous one. :p It really makes me want to learn more about modelling new armors, I am pretty good (I think) at 2d stuff, but 3d stuff is so confusing to make. :<

« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2011, 03:44:52 pm »
It's baffling how It looks so much like the original.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #239 on: December 14, 2011, 04:27:04 pm »
@Surf. It's not as hard as it may look like sometimes. If you know how drawing (in mathematical/geometric) way works, it's nothing that hard.

@Karpov. Tell me, what kind of magic are you using?
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.