Author Topic: Character Animations  (Read 131206 times)

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
Re: Character Animations
« Reply #180 on: October 22, 2011, 09:07:24 am »
i whoud love to see a new devblog with the 3d progress

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2011, 01:37:39 pm »
Well, in a sense the entire of this subforum is the 3D dev blog. I know it's not a proper separate blog, but other than a few PMs here and there, pretty much everything that anyone does gets posted on here as it's the only method of communication between the volunteers.

I've not put anything new up recently myself as I haven't actually done anything  :-[ Been too busy with "real life" and "real work" recently, but next on my list is to finish off some of the tutorial / info things. After that, it's probably back to testing, rigging, modelling, texturing etc.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2011, 09:36:43 pm »
So I have this "normal" burst death anim, but I still don't get the blood to be enough to be seen.
Better video (that means not done with Windows Movie Maker...)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDTY_grsm0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDTY_grsm0</a>
It's quite hard to score one of these criticals with 70 percent critical chance, but I did it at the end of the video  ;D
Still in progress...

Luther, the flashes are related to the animation set and not to the weapon itself . I think I can deactivate that layer for plasma and laser weapons so that it does not appear.
Bye, good luck.  ;)

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:35 am »
Looks great... but there's something wrong with it. The blood seems to disapear much faster than in the regular 2D animation...
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2011, 10:57:15 am »
Oh my god ! Karpov u r the best. Keep good work and best for u and rest artist  ;)

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2011, 09:00:40 pm »
Looks great... but there's something wrong with it. The blood seems to disapear much faster than in the regular 2D animation...

I've been watching the original sprites and I noticed the blood spreads everywhere, I could try adding some random chunks of flesh. I will need them for exploding death animation anyway. Also I will try to make it shake more , it is too smooth right now. 
  The single shot death is almost done , but I need to be accurate with the timing there, to avoid the issue with the sound delay that some npcs had in fallout 2.
After that one we only need the "explosive death" I think... pulse and flame can be used as sprite. But plasma... that's a tricky one.

Ok, bye.
Thank you barter1113  ;)

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2011, 09:32:58 pm »
Use sprites for plasma, liquid transformation always look bad in lowpoly environment and there is really no need to have it in 3D anyway, unless transition would look really crappy.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline Josh

• The Armegeddon Arms Co. is temporarily on hiatus
« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2011, 12:20:32 am »
lazy approach would be to have it move to electric death state where whole body is gray then have it turn into a puddle. this way you could use same animation for all ;D
When you hear people talking about the great leader of the Armeggedon Arms Co., there talking about me. On the flip side when you hear them laughing about the Plague who stood next to guard and died or something else like that, that would be my brother Ben.

« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2011, 12:23:35 pm »
But plasma... that's a tricky one.

Subdivide/liquid simulation around a skeleton from a "shocked" stance? For low-poly, i'd imagine "stripping the skin downward" and scale the bottom up to puddle edges. But how would the textures behave?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:32:40 pm by Lizard »
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #189 on: November 01, 2011, 12:27:06 pm »
lazy approach would be to have it move to electric death state where whole body is gray then have it turn into a puddle. this way you could use same animation for all ;D

That's actually a very good point. Eventually we'll want everything as accurate as possible, but if there's a usable simple alternative, it could be done much quicker. The final versions can always be adjusted / tweaked and finished at a later date, of course.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2011, 03:06:54 pm »
You cannot do 1 on 1 conversion of the particular animation when the character is burned and falls apart to pile of dust. The animation where person is just burned down or completely "eaten" can already be done.
"This is your forum."

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2011, 06:56:05 pm »
Will there eventually be a possibility to take 1,2 frames out of the animations to make them look a bit closer (=more choppy) looking to the original animations?

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2011, 08:03:50 pm »
Will there eventually be a possibility to take 1,2 frames out of the animations to make them look a bit closer (=more choppy) looking to the original animations?
In your fonline config, like 3D fps and the second option there.
"This is your forum."

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2011, 04:06:45 pm »
The only problem with lowering the fps is that the character still moves slowly when walking/running, the rest of the animations look great at 13-15 fps.

Ok, ugly video, not worth watching in fullscreen. Here is what I have so far, two of them are new. Still in progress.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ-uyAHgf8s" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ-uyAHgf8s</a>

That's all.

I'll have more time to spend in december, right now I have some exams coming up, so I'll be mostly offline until then. Bye

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2011, 04:23:06 pm »
Nice work, as usually, Karpov :) I liked almost all of them, maybe except the last one, which looks a little bit weird, but I can't explain why. It definitely missing something, or maybe, as you said, it's just too fast. Everything else is just great. Hope to see more coming from you in December.

By the way, maybe it's time to start building a working prototype of the game in 3D? So far we only missing a few (6 or 7, to be precise) NPC armors and clothes, while everything else seems to be done already. What do you think, guys?