Author Topic: Character Animations  (Read 131950 times)

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
Re: Character Animations
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »
 This is the first animation made with this new character. Cut in half, laser death, or whatever you want to call it.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj0rEUk1P_0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj0rEUk1P_0</a>

Came out pretty good, but this one is quite clean compared to the rest of them. Hope I can get that "bloody mess" touch in the other animations.

PS: that guy just wouldn't die!  ;D

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »
This is pure greatness.

I'll guess chunks of flesh will be one of the hardest death animations, except if we can make that flying stuff being a 2D animation that is shown while the character animation is played.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:02:20 pm by Lexx »

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2011, 08:36:25 am »
if you watch the vid in 240 it looks almoast like original 2D

Offline Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2011, 09:09:01 am »
This is the first animation made with this new character. Cut in half, laser death, or whatever you want to call it.
bows

Showed that vid to a friend (knows Fallout a bit, and knows 3d as well):
- 'What do you mean new animations, there were such animations in original Fallouts!'
- 'But those are 3d'
- 'Wow'
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:50:06 am by scypior »

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:03 am »
He means: http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=13929.msg153562#msg153562

Anyway, any reason why 3D disables sound (that cut+ouch/aaah when killed)? Probably quick to fix, just asking.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2011, 11:15:10 am »
The sound is taken from the critter file name. The 3d models are named different, so no sound is played. If I remember correct, you can define the sound for the 3d models somewhere in the files. Haven't touched this since a long time, though.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2011, 07:39:00 pm »
Does anyone have any idea how the timing of the animation is done? i.e. death before bullet / punch arrives? It's the same against sprite based enemies (if your player is 3D) - you shoot one, and it dies before the gun is raised.

Is this something controlled by the engine, or would animations need pauses putting in them or something? Did this happen with the Van Buren models as well?

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2011, 08:45:29 pm »
Yes, happened with the VB models as well. As far as I know, it's an engine thing-- the targets animation is played as soon as your action is started. You fire your attack right when you click with the mouse and not 1 or 2 seconds later, when the animation is ready.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2011, 03:56:58 pm »
The best thing you can do is to make projectiles faster. Since the effect is instant it will not affect the gameplay, but will make a little more sense.
I think the good example is rocket launcher - things explodes before even rocket reaches it's destination.

Another option would be to track missiles even after they were launched, this would allow players to dodge rockets (probably not huge issue considering the power of rocket launcher), and do explosion when rocket reaches the place.
It would however be really useful then, if it was possible to attack empty space, and it would be all technically much more complicated.

One more off-topic - is it possible to replace missiles with models as well? It would be the place where improvement would be notable even when zoomed out, because projectile can be visible from more angles that it's sprites are able to cover.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2011, 05:45:13 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp9qXMvt3cc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp9qXMvt3cc</a>

Short clip, burst anim. It could still use some work, and some sound could help , graaaaaahhhwwww!!!  ;)

Gotta go, bye

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2011, 05:50:09 pm »
Holy moly! Looks almost like the original. Very good job, again. :)

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2011, 07:09:08 pm »
Needs just some more shaking when getting shot, some more gore and it pretty much looks exactly like the original... just in 3D amazingness.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2011, 10:03:05 pm »
I like it :D

Very impressed by the potential of this.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2011, 10:49:17 pm »
Yes, it works quite well. I used an attachment for the blood and gore, over the only layer there was available (because I wouldn't know how to add a new one). So I don't have to attach all the stuff to the skeleton, and it is a lot easier. They are just 8 tris flying around along with three red spheres, I think I could add the blood puddle for standard death as well.