Author Topic: Questions and Answers 3D (read the first post before asking a question)  (Read 145808 times)

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: Questions and Answers 3D (read the first post before asking a question)
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2011, 09:06:40 am »
The visual quality of the critters never was the reason for us to go for 3d models. It's solely the customization aspect and nothing else. Especially because we want to try to make the 3d models look like the original 2d critters, the above logic (old graphic = sux, nobody wants it) is invalid.

one day we will have new 3D engine with 360 option, fans' models and maybe new world in 3D but it might be IN THE FUTURE

Not in 2238, as was said already a few times.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:08:14 am by Lexx »

« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2011, 10:54:45 am »
Not in 2238, as was said already a few times.

I didin't say in 2238.

There're many other servers and other programmers & graphics.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2011, 10:56:39 am »
Yeah, but this is the 2238 forum and a thread about 3d models in 2238.

Offline Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2011, 12:31:59 pm »
They WERE finished. They are just old, and are crappy in our standards. Doesn't mean we have to get rid of old school fallout. If you want 3D fallout, go play the Bethesda ones (Bethesda rules, not saying they suck.)
Can a punk raider girl wield a minigun?  Can a red haired vault dweller woman wield a SMG?  Or even wear armor?

No.  becuase they weren't finished.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2011, 12:34:57 pm »
They used the same animations as hero models, so they kind of have been finished. Just not added to the game files, as back in the days, everything needed to fit on one CD. Also the animations haven't been used by NPCs, so there was no need to include them anyway.

Fallout 1 even still has some unused animations in the game files, like walking upstairs and downstairs or special spear attacks for the vault suit critter, etc.

Offline Gray

« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:30 pm »
A small question. 3D is not in the Fallout 1 and 2 games. Why are we adding it? It's going to start feeling not at all like the good old classic games.
A small answer. Because 3D is much easy to customize. Original fallout engine is not suitable for MMORPG, it is completely exhausted already. Adding new critters is a hell long laborious process. Adding new animations for all critters is nearly impossible.
3D is flexible. You can add new critter and it will take all present animations automatically. Or you can add new animation and all critters take it. You can add new item and attach it to any critter. If you will read this branch of forum more closely, you'll find different playable critters (instead of only vaultsuit), different skin tones, tattoos, casual suits, etc. Adding it to an original 2D engine is impossible. 2D is not a feature, it is just a technical restriction.
Have I answered your question?

P.S. and a little correction: you do not adding 3D, we do it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:32:44 pm by Gray »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »
P.S. and a little correction: you do not adding 3D, we do it.

... unless he wants to volunteer and help out, of course :)

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2011, 03:17:48 pm »
it's because not all models in the classic fallouts were finished.
False
But we could not possibly finish it with such little manpower and resources in such a form, therefore we have to change everything to 3D which is 10x easier/faster afaik.  I have no experience in this so I'm just going off from what I've heard.
In this case, the one who told you this information must correct himself. False information, see Lexx's post for the true reason.

In classic fallouts the characters and animations are ...  I think some sort of really detailed clay figures, pic by pic taken and put in as your classic animations/models.  Thus you have your Vault dweller model/animations, punk raiders, etc.
False again... Clay figures were used for the talking heads only, which were later scanned with a laser thus the laser makes an EXACT copy of the clay model on your computer in full 3D. Then, the 3D "clay" model got a texture, later getting all the animations. Once all the animations were done (they were quite stiff by the way) they took screenshots and then put these screens together making a 2D animation play. Player/other NPC was made in 3D only, no clay models for it, and again, the texture, the stiff animation then being converted into 2D sprites. Yes, there are also some 3D cutscenes, it is unknown for me how that was made tho.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2011, 06:52:34 pm »

I'm trying to use Ranger Armor but as you can see... Something is going wrong... Any idea ?

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2011, 08:07:41 pm »
I'm trying to use Ranger Armor but as you can see... Something is going wrong... Any idea ?

Did you get it from the 3D repository? My guess is no. I think, that you've put a model in the game without of editing and resizing it.

« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2011, 08:19:33 pm »
Took it from SVN. I modified _VBHuman.fo3d from fonline sdk.
Code: [Select]
# Body
Layer 3
Value 6   Root Attach armor_male_combatranger.fo3d

# Head
Layer 6
Value 25  Root Attach Armor_male_combatrangerhelmet.x

Modified client_main as a test:
case PID_HARDENED_POWER_ARMOR:
bodyAtr     = 6;
headAtr     = 25;
break;

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2011, 08:22:52 pm »
You don't need to modify anything in it to make it work properly. All armors mentioned here as uploaded will be working on the SDK if you just paste it to the client/data/art folder.

Also, which SDK revision do you use?

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2011, 08:25:00 pm »
You don't need to modify anything in it to make it work properly. All armors mentioned here as uploaded will be working on the SDK if you just paste it to the client/data/art folder.

Also, which SDK revision do you use?
The last one sir. Also I'm not using those models with internal commands like ~run debug blablabla I'm trying to attach them to items. Maybe I'm doing something wrong since I'm not using _FOHuman.fo3d.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:35:10 pm by Valkirie »

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2011, 08:42:23 pm »
You have to use _FOHuman.fo3d, because that's the main character mesh.

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:39 pm »
You have to use _FOHuman.fo3d, because that's the main character mesh.

You mean, replace _VBHuman.fo3d content by _FOHuman.fo3d's one ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:47:43 pm by Valkirie »