Author Topic: Armors and clothing  (Read 242780 times)

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
Re: Armors and clothing
« Reply #555 on: August 27, 2011, 07:43:20 pm »
Right, the character base skeleton does not have those extra bones. They appear only in the coat model, and they go attached to the pelvis, that way, both "coat bones" move with the character, but they remain stiff. That's where you animate the coat tail, inside the coat model file. The character model does not care at all,  just plays its own animations, and the coat plays the other animation.  And yes, it would work for any coat, you just point the animations parameters to the ncrcoat ,the one with all needed anims.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #556 on: August 27, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »
Yes - exactly - I think I explained it badly :P

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #557 on: August 29, 2011, 11:10:35 pm »
Okay, here's the new stuff - Leutenaunt armor (aka mutant metal armor), made by this guy from russian community.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:39:25 pm by Graf »

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #558 on: August 30, 2011, 07:41:04 pm »
cool stuff

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #559 on: August 30, 2011, 07:55:53 pm »
Very nice.

« Reply #560 on: September 01, 2011, 01:10:06 pm »
Reinforced Leather Jacket

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #561 on: September 01, 2011, 01:21:16 pm »
it looks a bit to... plain
i mean, how can you find 1 big piece of leather that can strip the oversized body of a super mutant?
i think there shoud be some belts put in place for them to hold more leather pieces, like Mad Max's shoulder pad

« Reply #562 on: September 01, 2011, 01:24:32 pm »
It's still untextured or texture is "WiP" pal.  ;)
Don't worry, we'll make a texture for it sooner or later.
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

« Reply #563 on: September 01, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »
My photoshop skills are not so good. Need to find someone who will draw a good texture for the mutants.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #564 on: September 01, 2011, 03:32:46 pm »
Okay, here's the new stuff - Leutenaunt armor (aka mutant metal armor), made by this guy from russian community.

It does not match :<. Small shoulderpads, short and the whole plate on his back is way too short.
Don't even know whether mutant model itself is fine, but arms are way too low-poly, to the degree it'd be visible on 100% zoom at 1024x768. At least add some to smooth normals to get some solid shading.

The other piece looks much better, though it still has that arm problem. Keep it up :d.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #565 on: September 12, 2011, 03:06:28 am »
San Fran Fem Clothes.

The colors are actually a lot closer to the original except my lighting abilities are shit. Also I did a lot of the shading in photoshop but only just noticed Johnnybravo's shader script before posting this...

not sure what's going on with hair models so she's wearing my san franciscan rice hat for now.

I'd like to get the female tribal out of the way but I need opinions on this...

Is she wearing a top or not?;

These look like she isn't (and I'm pretty sure I can see nips)

But here she seems to have a strap across her back...

it's almost like the artist wanted to suggest a top but didn't actually want to give her one, in which case I would be inclined to stay true to the artist and not give her one too ;)

But i'm putting it up for debate, thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:06:30 am by Graf »

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #566 on: September 12, 2011, 09:20:12 am »
She wears a cloth bra or something like that.

The Frisco clothes are cool looking.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:28:15 pm by Lexx »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #567 on: September 12, 2011, 02:11:23 pm »
Nicely done.

I think it's a very skimpy bra, covering like so :

I think you've got a certain amount of "artistic licence" regarding the specifics.

Might be worth making the bra section as a model, rather than just texture (just extract the vertices from the bra area by a tiny amount), which would allow us to switch the skin colour underneath, else we can end up with a woman with black face and hands, but with a white body. I'm not certain, but we may have to do this on any of the female models which show a bit of skin on the body section, unless we change the base female model to include an extra subset(s) for a "low neckline".

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #568 on: September 12, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »
Might be worth making the bra section as a model, rather than just texture (just extract the vertices from the bra area by a tiny amount), which would allow us to switch the skin colour underneath, else we can end up with a woman with black face and hands, but with a white body. I'm not certain, but we may have to do this on any of the female models which show a bit of skin on the body section, unless we change the base female model to include an extra subset(s) for a "low neckline".

ahh, so you want to link the clothes separately to a base model? I thought that wearing clothes would just load up an entirely new model and so have been ready to export my textures with each skin type.

But your saying I should make the bra separate but keep the pants as part of the original? or I should separate both?

wouldn't this apply to the male model too for armors like the leather jacket which bares an arm etc.?

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #569 on: September 12, 2011, 06:01:23 pm »
It's a bit complex really - and there may be a better way of doing it. I'll try to explain...

If you imagine the clothing layers like this :
- Armour (leather jacket, armour etc)
- Clothing texture (trousers, shirt etc)
- Base skin texture (white, tanned, brown, black, asian, with or without tattoos)

What we can do, is pick which parts of the texture show :

If we look at Subset Example Man, by default, he would be covered head to toe in "Base skin texture" (in underpants). We can put a clothing layer on top of this, and assign it to certain areas. Most of the clothing we've added doesn't cover the hands or head, some doesn't cover the arms. Those bits are left as their original base texture - so your clothing texture might be a pair of blue jeans and white shirt - as long as the "skin" part is entirely within a "subset", the remaining skin can be any of the base skin tones i.e. if you have a clothing texture which covers 0, 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, it would leave the hands, head and feet free to be whatever base skin colour.

Note that the female models also have a subset 10, which contains a section of the waist.

If we have a V-style neck in the shirt, this will not work, because the painted skin on the V-neck will stay white skinned by default, even if the player texture is black or other skinned.

Solutions to this would be :
a) Modelling anything which doesn't fit to subsets - see tribal model test here - in this example, I modelled the diagonal strap and "arm thing" - therefore the chest, arms, hands, head all show base skin tone.
b) Make things like the "tribal bra" on the base skin, not the clothing layer (so it would be an alternative to a tattoo), and both clothing and armour can be worn on top of it (this may be the best way for the tribal ones)
c) Make a separate clothing layer for each skin colour (as you have prepared for already) - and find a way to make this work in the engine.
d) Add a few extra subsets to the original model

In reference to the San Fran model, for example, this would be :
a) The shirt has to be made as a model. The trousers can stay as texture
b) Perhaps all clothing that is not part of an armour costume could be base textures?
c) You export the same image, but with different skin colours in the "V neck", and we find a way of making this work
d) We add a "v neck" subset, which all female models must follow

Obviously a problem with this is that it applies to many of the existing models we've done - particularly female ones.

For leather jacket, this is a model. I've tried to make a diagram here :
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/125/leatherjacketexplanatio.png
This might explain the whole thing a bit more clearly.

I know that's all a bit messy, but hopefully you can make sense of it.