Author Topic: Armors and clothing  (Read 242879 times)

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
Re: Armors and clothing
« Reply #495 on: May 05, 2011, 10:17:32 pm »
Well, we have to ask Karpov about it, if he will go back to the 3D development.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #496 on: May 09, 2011, 09:33:53 pm »
These aren't much different to before, but I corrected some little errors and bits I wasn't happy with. The rags may be a bit too dark (my monitor died, so I'm using a spare which I can't calibrate properly), but I can fix that at a later date.

Poly : Hat 60, Coat 576, Total 636
wings, obj, 3ds and png 1024 textures
Gangster suit

Poly : Hood 164, Coat 730, Total 894
wings, obj, 3ds and png 1024 textures
Ragged Hooded Coat

Textures will definitely need a further adjustment in future, to make them look right "in game" (in terms of overall brightness, contrast, colours used etc), but for now, if these can be worked with, I'll call them "done" for the time being.

For those that fancy doing some recolourings, the source .psd from the gangster suit is here. Note that the layers are all pretty poorly labelled, and it's all a bit of a mess, but I'm sure you can work it out.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #497 on: May 09, 2011, 09:36:16 pm »
awesome job man, keep up the good work

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #498 on: May 23, 2011, 05:00:41 pm »
Just a small "I've not disappeared" update to say I'm working on the female version of the above ones at the moment. Female Gangster suit is modelled, and almost retextured. The female hooded coat isn't started yet. May have them done during this week, depending on "real" work. If not, then soon after.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #499 on: May 23, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »
Good to hear, Luther. I guess almost everyone here is waiting for your models to be done, becuase it's quite a big contribution in the general work, which is moving us to the final point.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #500 on: May 23, 2011, 06:06:49 pm »
Does anyone know how the skeleton / animating / getting it in game bits work? I notice Karpov's not been about lately - and previously I passed the models to him, he did some magic, then they appeared in the model repository for testing - whereas currently, even once these are finished base models, there's no way of testing them in-game.

[edit]
Here's screens of female gangster currently :

Not sure if the jacket is still too "manly" or not. It's hard to tell when she's doing this "wide arms and wide legs" pose whether she looks like a woman in a suit, or a skinny man with breasts. I might make the coat a little tighter and see how that works - anyway, will probably finish and upload this (and psds for recolourings) after work tonight. If anyone has any thoughts / suggestions in the meantime, let me know.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:19:23 pm by Luther Blissett »

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #501 on: May 23, 2011, 08:33:46 pm »
Does anyone know how the skeleton / animating / getting it in game bits work?

As far as I know, there's a few steps that needs to be done, before the model gets in-game in a working state:

1. Skeleton should be set for the basic (male and female) model
2. Armor should be rigged to the model (as I understood, it should have some kind of skeleton too)
3. Layers of the armor are described in _FoHuman.fo3d
4. Animation should be added as additional file, with the animation itself (this means, that there's no model inside, only animation itself).

Note, that armor and character model are separate files.

Though, I might be wrong with some points, because I didn't tried to do it by myself yet.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #502 on: May 26, 2011, 10:28:33 pm »
The texture for the Ranger is indeed from NV, it was an early test, quick texturing, I never intended to actually use it.

Luther, you need to rig the model to the skeleton and the export it into a .x file. I'm not sure if you can import the bone structure from the exported files.
I'll check those new garments. Another thing, the long coats need animations to play along with the base model ones, so I think they will stay stiff until I finish other important things.

Graf , that is correct, armors have a skeleton which seems to blend with the one inside the base model, that's what lets me use additional "bones" for the long coats, even if they do not appear in the base model.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #503 on: May 27, 2011, 03:04:40 pm »
Karpov is back!!!!! ihaa

let's finish those animations!!

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #504 on: May 27, 2011, 04:01:57 pm »
Luther, you need to rig the model to the skeleton and the export it into a .x file. I'm not sure if you can import the bone structure from the exported files.
I'll check those new garments. Another thing, the long coats need animations to play along with the base model ones, so I think they will stay stiff until I finish other important things.

I think the animation preparation work is a bit beyond both my abilities and the software I currently have to hand at the moment - Wings3D doesn't animate, and trying to learn Blender's GUI was too much like "trying to remove my own teeth with a spoon" for me to get very far with it in my small amount of free time.

Anyway, this was preparation for the possibility that you'd disappeared forever, and we'd have to learn what you'd been doing without being able to see any of the source files, in a way where it would look identical to what you'd already done - whereas thankfully you have reappeared just in time. Very good to see you again :)

I would like to learn the rigging / animation stuff at a later date (and I think I now understand the principles behind it, at least), but for now it is probably much better if I finish the models I'm working on, and you do the "magic" that made them appear in the 3D repository. Once I've caught up with the stuff I've already planned, and a couple of further tweaks and adjustments, then I can look at doing some new learning during my next "quiet period" of real-life work.

« Reply #505 on: May 28, 2011, 11:07:53 am »
Sadly I think its a no for importing well at least for blender. I wasn't able to import the bone structure from the x files would have been useful to see how they look but the best would have been if I could have import them with movements too sadly I wasn't able. Btw here is a little (sadly really little) progress on the tire armor. As you can see I started thinking about the original concept art too. Since I don't like how the first ones ended up.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #506 on: May 28, 2011, 11:51:26 am »
I've updated the 3D armors tracker, Metal Armor mk1 and Leather Armor mk2 (both, male and female) was added.

« Reply #507 on: June 02, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »
After adding some details the tire armor will look like like this (this one will be used to create texture for a low poly copy).

The main thing that disturbs me is that other armors that have been made are one object with a modified human body mesh well at least the one I saw so far.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #508 on: June 02, 2011, 04:51:45 pm »
No worries, the model of armor could have more than one separate part. And yes, it looks great.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #509 on: June 02, 2011, 04:54:25 pm »
I really like how this is going.

I think there is only one model which was an altered body mesh - the rest are all "additional models" like you've done here - mine all were, I haven't changed the base human model at all (male or female).

Also, I think you don't need to make a "hole" in the middle, which may save some tris - i.e. the "belly" section of the armour can probably be a solid circle, that intersects the base model.