Author Topic: Armors and clothing  (Read 242722 times)

Offline Luther Blissett

Re: Armors and clothing
« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2011, 07:40:20 pm »
That's totally on topic - I think getting the "existing game models" finished is higher priority than adding the new suggestions (but I was halfway through these, so I'm trying to finish these first). Anyway, I think both of those were by Gray, so it might be worth asking him for the source files.

« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2011, 07:43:42 pm »
Exelent work with the new models, keep going!

Do you think you can make some like this?

May be not an entire new armor, but a new headwear including the hat, the googles and the.. bandana? (dunno if that is the english word)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:45:15 pm by RavenWolf »
"Is it possible for man to conquer his own Karma!? Unless we can find a way to defeat the cycles of time, there is no future for mankind!"
-Desty Nova.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #452 on: April 14, 2011, 07:52:19 pm »
It should be doable - I imagine it's not a major change from what's there already - adding extras, and retexturing a bit. I've sort of got a "list" of what I'm doing at the moment first though :

Just a small update to say "I'm still working on things", though I've been busy with "real life work" for a couple of weeks.

These are what I'm working on :

1) Provisional version of Hooded, damaged coat
2) Provisional version of Gangster Suits
3) Any corrections / suggestions to the above
4) Female versions of these (and duster)
5) Lots of things that need doing from the armour and weapons trackers (i.e. texturing of armours and UV mapping of weapons).

Then after all those are done,
6) If still available (i.e. nobody else has started working on them), the desert robes here and here.
7) Other things from the suggestions page

I'm currently halfway through 1/2/3, so it'll be a while yet (I guess this'd be part of #7). I've got a massive chunk of "real life work" coming up over the next few weeks, so I'll see if I can finish gangster and ragged / hooded coat for now, then there'll be a gap before I can do much else.

What I can do in the meantime though, is upload all the source files of the models I've done, including the photoshop versions of the textures (after I've labelled them properly), so other folk can pick them apart and reassemble / alter them as needed.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #453 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:49 pm »
Umm... might be a little off-topic here, but just want to fill in the gaps.
Can anyone please send me the Metal armor and CA MKII in a .obj or .wings or .3ds? Any format will do, I just want the mesh and texture, will give a little shot on editing them.
Sure. Here they are. I've also uploaded leather armor, in case anyone wish to edit it and make LA MK2.

Metal Armor (male)
Combat Armor mk1 & mk2 (male)
Leather Armor (male)

Metal Armor (female)
Combat Armor mk1 & mk2 (female)
Leather Armor (female)

Actually, these models are available from the repository, but they are converted in .x file format there.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #454 on: April 14, 2011, 11:23:44 pm »
I was unable to import that model in 3DS2010, Tommy, idk why. It says "improper file format".

I got it to import into Wings3D with no problems, so I've re-exported it and uploaded it for you. If you've managed to work with the models I've sent before, it should be the same as that.

TommyTheGun's female Gunsmith model (.wings, 3ds, obj, textures)

Also, thanks for your kind words about recent draft models :)

[edit] Put wrong link up. It's right now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:27:56 pm by Luther Blissett »

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #455 on: April 15, 2011, 11:15:51 am »
Thanks, Graf! Sadly today not going to be able to work not going to be able work on it for much time (real-life stuff). I will see what can I do.
Oh, and by the way, for some reason, the texture is not applied as I import the model, is it normal and I have to apply it manually or it's something wrong?
EDIT: Another question - does the ranger armor need alterations in the model too to match the one in the link or a texture change will do the trick?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:05:22 pm by Haraldx »
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #456 on: April 15, 2011, 03:06:06 pm »
Man, I was just looking over the Red Dead Redemption outfits for inspiration - does anyone else wish the NCR army looked like this instead of this?

Also, could we get the gangster suspenders with a shirt and tie? I think that would look pretty good without being a lot of work.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:12:57 pm by Badger »

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #457 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »
Man, I was just looking over the Red Dead Redemption outfits for inspiration - does anyone else wish the NCR army looked like this instead of this?

The FNV generic ranger clothes look similar to this. And it would be a bit unwise for the army grunts to run around like this, because it offers no realy protection. It's just a shirt, after all.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:18:26 pm by Lexx »

« Reply #458 on: April 15, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »
The FNV generic ranger clothes look similar to this. And it would be a bit unwise for the army grunts to run around like this, because it offers no realy protection. It's just a shirt, after all.

Goddamn, I really liked those generic ranger clothes. Shame it was near impossible to get a set yourself.

And yeah, I get the logic behind that, but I figured you could justify it - the NCR's got so many troops it's not going to waste money on giving them all armour. Wouldn't be the first army in history that went that route. But more than anything, I just think the NV uniforms are ugly.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #459 on: April 15, 2011, 03:37:10 pm »
Goddamn, I really liked those generic ranger clothes. Shame it was near impossible to get a set yourself.

I just called some support NPC via emergency radio and made him die at a cazadores hideout.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #460 on: April 15, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »
Oh, and by the way, for some reason, the texture is not applied as I import the model, is it normal and I have to apply it manually or it's something wrong?
I wouldn't say for everyone, but for me the texture is applied automatically only on .max file format. Other than that I should apply it manually. (I'm using 3Ds max 2010)

« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2011, 03:59:49 pm »
I wouldn't say for everyone, but for me the texture is applied automatically only on .max file format. Other than that I should apply it manually. (I'm using 3Ds max 2010)

As I recall, if the texture is placed in right location, it also applies in 3ds - anyway - Theres nothing wrong if it doesnt - as long as everything is fine after you apply it yourself.

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #462 on: April 15, 2011, 09:30:59 pm »
Nevermind, just applied the texture manually and all seems OK (however, I have to re-arrange the UV map to preview it, for some reason, it just moves it on the wrong position).

Working on stuf right now.
EDIT: So, I don't get it - should Ranger combat armor be like a normal CA but with different texture or the model needs alterations too?
Also, I found out the armors use a VERY high-poly method and this method also makes models hard to edit in some cases. All faces are actually a whole object! This means, nothing is connected. For example, the metal armor, the spikes on the shoulderpad are 4 faces that are in no way connected and the tip of the spike are actually 4 different vertexes! Lets do some math now:
1 spike face = 3 edges and 3 vertexes
in total there are 4 faces for 1 spike
lower face can be not counted due to it actually having to be connected to the shoulderpad, this means each face has 2 edges
4 * 2 = 8 faces
Vertexes however remain untouched
4* 3 = 12 vertexes

However, if the spike is one whole object and not separated object it ensures lower edge/vertex count aswell as better capability to edit, lets do more math!
1 spike face = 3 edges and 3 vertexes
In total there are 4 faces for 1 spike
Lower face can be not counted due to it actually having to be connected to the shoulderpad, this means each face has 2 edges
However, if we use this method, the spike has only 4 edges, instead of 8, because 2 faces have 3 edges, because the middle edge is 1 for both faces!
Same applies for vertexes, there are now only 5 vertexes - the top vertex, and 4 vertexes needed for the lower part, the part it's connected to the shoulderpad.

Now, imagine a whole model made the current way! if one spike just lost 7 vertexes, then imagine how a whole body armor would be! There is something wrong with this... but still, I want to ask this again, should Ranger combat armor be like a normal CA but with different texture or the model needs alterations too?

UPDATE:

I was too bored waiting for an answer, so here, BAM!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:34:42 am by Haraldx »
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #463 on: April 16, 2011, 04:05:29 pm »

#1 Draft versions of : Ragged, hooded coat; Gangster Suit; Gangster Suit underclothes

Awesome gangster suits. Are you going to make other colors/more variations of suits?

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #464 on: April 16, 2011, 04:29:12 pm »
EDIT: So, I don't get it - should Ranger combat armor be like a normal CA but with different texture or the model needs alterations too?

It's written here.