"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 19, 2024, 09:22:27 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wiki vs Rumors vs Facts  (Read 2864 times)

Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
Wiki vs Rumors vs Facts
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:59:20 pm »

The 2238 Wiki tells us lots of things that seem to be not true either by experience or hearsay.

Outdoorsman - I've read from multiple guides, strategies, character build walkthroughs and the Wiki that the Outdoorsman skill doesn't benefit us after 94 or 95%. Is this true? Many times other players tell me that their Outdoorsman is 200, 250 or sometimes even 300%. Mine as of now is at 96% and if this rumor is true about wasting skill points on this particular skill, it will stay that way.

Prices - Everytime I go to buy a car, merchant or pretty much any item in general, the base price never matches even close to what the Wiki tells us. I have seen a car being 90K caps over the listed price!

Power Armor - Why does the Wiki basically tell us that it's impossible for Power Armor to be found? In my first couple of weeks playing FOnline, I ran into the same gang or faction several times in a "trap" they had set up roughly a few squares above the Hub/Boneyard spawn town. Each and every one of these players were wearing Advanced Power Armors. There must have been 10 or 15 (total) of them sporadically throughout my encounters. How is this possible seeing as the Wiki tells us that they are so extremely rare. Not to mention that I have several friends that I play with on a regular basis and they have been playing since pre-wipe and claim to have NEVER, EVER seen Power Armor of any sort.

If you could help clarify these things, I would sure appreciate it.

Thank you.

Surf

• это моё.
Re: Wiki vs Rumors vs Facts
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:05:06 pm »

The 2238 Wiki tells us lots of things that seem to be not true either by experience or hearsay.

The wiki is often a bit outdated, as most of it depends on players editing changes etc. in there.

Outdoorsman - I've read from multiple guides, strategies, character build walkthroughs and the Wiki that the Outdoorsman skill doesn't benefit us after 94 or 95%. Is this true? Many times other players tell me that their Outdoorsman is 200, 250 or sometimes even 300%. Mine as of now is at 96% and if this rumor is true about wasting skill points on this particular skill, it will stay that way.

You probably misunderstood/mixed the numbers. It is meant that you can skip 95% of the encounters, if you got 300% Outdoorsman.

Prices - Everytime I go to buy a car, merchant or pretty much any item in general, the base price never matches even close to what the Wiki tells us. I have seen a car being 90K caps over the listed price!

The more cars get bought, the higher the price is. The base price only tells, well, the base price.

Power Armor - Why does the Wiki basically tell us that it's impossible for Power Armor to be found? In my first couple of weeks playing FOnline, I ran into the same gang or faction several times in a "trap" they had set up roughly a few squares above the Hub/Boneyard spawn town. Each and every one of these players were wearing Advanced Power Armors. There must have been 10 or 15 (total) of them sporadically throughout my encounters. How is this possible seeing as the Wiki tells us that they are so extremely rare. Not to mention that I have several friends that I play with on a regular basis and they have been playing since pre-wipe and claim to have NEVER, EVER seen Power Armor of any sort.

This would be something new for me.

Fridge_Man

• The Guardians
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:10:30 pm »

1) Outdoorsman: Raise it above 100% makes sense, as it will speed up your travel and you can avoid more encounters.
Exact numbers how high to level i dont have, but i am fine with 150% OD.
Another of my chars has 112% OD, and he is noticeable slower and has more encounters.

2) Prices: Some goods (cars and mercenaries mostly) have increasing prices, like inflation.
The more people buy a car/merc, the higher the price will go for it.
Other goods, like guns&ammunition, will always have the same base price.

3) Power Armor: There is no way to buy/craft/loot this armor, or the even better APA, in normal game.
Sometimes Power Armors are given out temporarily by game masters or developers for events or pre-wipe madness
(funnytime before server is wiped, often free guns&armors are given away by players and devs)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:12:20 pm by Fridge_Man »

Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:19:49 pm »

You probably misunderstood/mixed the numbers. It is meant that you can skip 95% of the encounters, if you got 300% Outdoorsman.

Straight from the Wiki = "Your Outdoorsman skill modifies the chance you have to notice an encounter. Regardless of the skill's %, your chance cannot be higher than 95%."

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:21:17 pm »

The chance to avoid an encounter is 95% if you have 300 outdoorsman. This means, you can still get a 5% chance to get into an encounter if you have 300 outdoorsman.

TheGreenHand

• TGHGWC
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:21:41 pm »

With outdoorsman, 200% is enough for max effect on avoiding encounters.  Above that will increase travel speed somewhat.

Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:26:07 pm »

The chance to avoid an encounter is 95% if you have 300 outdoorsman. This means, you can still get a 5% chance to get into an encounter if you have 300 outdoorsman.
WTF? The Wiki never says anything about 300%. It says, regardless of percentage... it cant be over 95% chance. Logically, to me, that means anything over 95% is a waste.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:07 pm »

WTF? The Wiki never says anything about 300%. It says, regardless of percentage... it cant be over 95% chance. Logically, to me, that means anything over 95% is a waste.
No no no....

regardless of how much skill you have, you can only possibly have 95% chance to choose to skip encounters.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:31 pm »

do you play FOnline:2238? or other FOnline, cuz APA is imposible to get

TheGreenHand

• TGHGWC
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 04:30:08 pm »

Everything in game has a 95% chance of success.  Shooting, stealing, outdoorsman.  Even FA and doc I guess, though FA is probably a bit different.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 04:30:49 pm »

With outdoorsman, 200% is enough for max effect on avoiding encounters.  Above that will increase travel speed somewhat.

In fact, 180% is enough to have max chance to avoid every encounters.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 04:32:30 pm »

No no no....

regardless of how much skill you have, you can only possibly have 95% chance to choose to skip encounters.

That's what I just said.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 04:33:24 pm »

That's what I just said.
It looks like you were talking about skillpoints.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 04:37:08 pm »

Crypt, where you are getting confused is that it is not just a straight roll on your outdoorsman skill. It is outdoorsman skill - difficulty of the zone you are in.

Obviously this means that you are getting the max chance to avoid every encounter at 95 + the highest zone difficulty - which are crazy said, is somewhere roundabout 180% outdoorsman.

Raising it above 180% only really affects your travel speed then.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 05:39:31 pm »

In fact, wiki is wrong (or poorly written) in this case. Mistake is not in the Outdoorsman article but in http://www.fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Advice_for_beginners#Survive_and_grow_stronger.

If you keep dying in random encounters, try making a new character and tagging the Outdoorsman skill, it will help you avoid fights you can't handle once raised. - Remember, 95% is as effective as this skill get's so don't raise it past this point.
I believe that this is the confusing point.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 22 queries.