"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 20, 2024, 12:55:44 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need advice with my sniper build  (Read 4492 times)

Need advice with my sniper build
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:32:26 am »

Ok this is my first character... And I'm allready thinking of remaking. I'm trying to go for a sneaky sniper build but I'm not sure how sneak works yet either.. Here's my build.

S - 5
P - 8
E - 4
C - 1
I - 8
A - 9
L - 6

Traits small frame and finesse

Tagged skills small guns, repair, and sneak.

I was originally going for a critical hit build, but i'm getting very annoyed that I can't talk to anyone because "My dad fucked a ghoul". So i'm thinking that i could be better with the 5 points on luck put elsewhere and just doing a non critical build. I'm also very interested in PvP so keep this in mind. If I took the 5 points off luck and went for a non critical version of the build i'd have

S - 5
P - 10
E - 4
C - 3
I - 8
A - 10
L - 1

Traits small frame and bloody mess
Tagged skills small guns, sneak, and repair.

What do you guys think? Whats the better build? Would it be worth it to drop sneak for science and becoming a gunsmith? Any advice from you more experienced players is much appreciated :D

Re: Need advice with my sniper build
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07:48 am »

In order to use sneak effectively you need to dump all your points into it and have 10 int. Unless of course you never intend on getting near your target, then you can sneak and snipe away but you'll be found if they get near.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:11:02 am »

Created a 3 ch build that you may like.

Assault Class. Uses assault rifles for medium-long range burst attacks. Can have a merc as backup/bait/tank (if you have super mutant).
5 st
7 pe
6 en
3 ch
6 in
8 ag
6 lk
Traits:
Small frame, good natured
Tagged Skills:
SG, FA, DOC.
Notes:
200 HP, 10 AP, 5% DR w/ no armor, 180 SG, 120 fa, 110 doc, 120 outdoors. You can use aimed shot with hunting rifle, pistols or w/e to train on mutated molerats for leveling. Use assault rifles and FN FALS in pvp. Can pull off 2 bursts at max with range with AR or FN FAL.

Should be a fairly decent starter build.

EDIT: annnnd forget sneak unless you plan on using no armor and having almost all your skill points in sneak.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:37:07 am »

Thanks for the tips. As of right now I'm lvl 5 and have put points into 4 skills.
I put 8 points into science so I can get a tent eventually..

125% small guns
90% sneak
70% repair
40% science

So far i'm very unsatisfied with repair, any gun i attempt to repair just breaks immediately.
I've also been unsuccessful with sneak, at what % does it become effective? I've read a thread or 2 about sneak being an invisibility spell but I don't see this. Would it be possible for me to get small guns and sneak to a decent level and did I waist points on repair? Am I already screwed as a PvP oriented character?

I'm starting to think I need to start off with a crafter and work my way into a specialized pvp char like i was trying to make now.

I never played fallout 1 or 2 but i wish I did when it came out, this game has me hooked! It reminds me of Ultima Online when it came out.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:36:22 am »

OK, I'm going to enlighten yu with as little text as possible.

Repair, you need at least 200% to repair anything without breaking it, I hope you plan to craft Armor or sth.

Sneak, you need about 250% to sneak at all afaik.

You already screwed as a pvp character really, but you could salvage it for a crafter.

Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 04:41:14 am »

Repair is fine over 180% and with Tool in active hand.

Sneak works good when it's on 300%, but even then you are visible from 3 hexes in front of everyone.

It's not possible to make one char with high combat skill, 300% Sneak and 180% Repair, because you have limited skillpoints - 21th level is maximum here.

With IN 10 you have 500 skillpoints at all, with IN 10 and Skilled trait you have 600. Above 100% of skill there is a penalty, you need more than one skillpoint to raise one point of chosen skill, I don't remember pattern now.

I suggest you to make one crafter char and one combat char. It may not be noble, but it's comfortable and easy for sure.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 06:25:51 am »

with 10 int you have enough points for 1 skill at 145% and sneak at 275% if you don't put a single point anywhere else.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 03:51:14 pm »

I highly suggest a non-sneak char for a main/first char.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:28:20 pm »

Yeah thanks again for the tips. I realized this would be a very hard character to make from scratch, so I started a crafter. It's working pretty well so far, the only really annoying part is once i get the 840 caps to get the guns and ammo book, i end up dieing and loosing it and having to start from scratch!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 07:42:40 pm »

Yeah thanks again for the tips. I realized this would be a very hard character to make from scratch, so I started a crafter. It's working pretty well so far, the only really annoying part is once i get the 840 caps to get the guns and ammo book, i end up dieing and loosing it and having to start from scratch!

shouldn't be that hard to get 840 caps. If you need any pointers send me a PM
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 10:49:05 pm »

Ok I got a crafter going... Having some trouble mining high quality ores though as PKers seem to love to kill me over and over again to gain my primitive tools. I got the caps selling spears to the girl in junktown. Very repetitive clicking there.. lol.

Anyway, I'm thinking of remaking my sniper now that I have a character that can back him up a little.

I'm thinking of going

S-5
P-9
E-4
C-1
I-6
A-10
L-6

Trait: Small frame, Finesse(is finesse worth it?)
Tag: Small guns, Sneak, Outdoors or first aid?

I figure I can smoke cigarettes to get 10 perception, and I need a high perception to fully maximize the range of my rifle, how important is this? Also, if i have 9 or 10 perception, would I still get the full bonuses from the sharpshooter perk? Is finesse worth taking or is the damage resistance not worth it?

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 10:58:13 pm »

Ok I got a crafter going... Having some trouble mining high quality ores though as PKers seem to love to kill me over and over again to gain my primitive tools. I got the caps selling spears to the girl in junktown. Very repetitive clicking there.. lol.
YOU MUST TELL ME WHO YOU SPEAK OF!!  ppppppppppplllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssseeeeeee... :P
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 03:23:59 am »

Anyway, I'm thinking of remaking my sniper now that I have a character that can back him up a little.

I'm thinking of going

S-5
P-9
E-4
C-1
I-6
A-10
L-6

Trait: Small frame, Finesse(is finesse worth it?)
Tag: Small guns, Sneak, Outdoors or first aid?

I figure I can smoke cigarettes to get 10 perception, and I need a high perception to fully maximize the range of my rifle, how important is this? Also, if i have 9 or 10 perception, would I still get the full bonuses from the sharpshooter perk? Is finesse worth taking or is the damage resistance not worth it?

Take finesse if you want to cripple people, don't take if you want to do more damage. I'd say its better for a 10 luck eyeshot build. Sharpshooter stacks with 10 pe so you get better range. You only need super high PE for sniping at max range and spotting sneakers really.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 06:08:05 pm »

YOU MUST TELL ME WHO YOU SPEAK OF!!  ppppppppppplllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssseeeeeee... :P

Sassy Givins.
You can find her in the same building as Boyce.
She's the unarmed female standing next to a table.
You'll see her when you enter the building, she's facing the door.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 07:00:03 pm »

Lol well I ditched sneak even though I thought it would be so cool to sneak and snipe.. Just don't have the points for it. Don't remember the guys name..
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.