"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 05:41:10 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Do you use player's info in gang terminal?

Yes
- 42 (47.7%)
No
- 28 (31.8%)
Sometimes
- 18 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Terminal data  (Read 6787 times)

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
Terminal data
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:39:11 pm »

Hello,

I'd like to ask you about a feature, that's been one of the first feature done for this game, but it's time to evaluate its usefulness. Namely, the data you may enter in your gang terminal for players that are not members of your gang:
1) status: enemy/friend/neutral
2) importance: the believed rank of this player
3) faction: his/her membership

So, my first question is: do you use it at all?

And, the second is: would you like it(and will you use it then) to be connected to the colors of those players (simply, your NamesColors file could be update'able from terminal).

Possibilities:

1) You can set the color for some gang, then this color will be modified using the data entered for this player. Let's say green for faction A, then it's light green if player is marked as friend, dark green if player is marked as unfriendly.

2) Color per player, i.e. just scrap the status/rank (or leave it as it is), and allow the terminal owners to define the colors there. This is also the simpliest solution.

3) ... (place for your proposals)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:22:27 pm by scypior »

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
Re: Terminal data
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:01:55 pm »

Gang terminal is just pain in the ass to work with. Sure adding some new features to it could finally give it some attention it deserves but if the current system of dialog tree does not change then it will be still the same hard work with it and insane nerve killer.
I'd love to see some upgrades done in gang management for example possibility to modify gang members also through pipboy. But thats just minor suggestion. The main one is to rework management so it will not be dialog tree based but we will have options like scrolling through members, fast edit of informations through text fields, easy promote/demote and creation of new ranks, fast editing of friends/enemies and colors assigned to them etc. It has very good potential but currently its used just to unite players under one flag so they can capture cities and share same base.

I like the way how the crafting is done. You choose an item in your fixboy, if you have mats, you craft it and voala item is done. It could work similar with gang management. In your pipboy you would have some new section with few bookmarks (gang members, invite new member, manage members/friends/foes, radio channel with MotD or something like that).

And just for the record currently you have no statistics what so ever about your gang membership so if you are member of one you don't have any character screen where you can see that (or at least I don't know about that) and I miss such overall informations about your char ingame.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:14:20 pm by Sius »

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 03:02:48 pm »

feature to add a friend of gang is very useful :>
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:11:52 pm »

1) I mostly use enemy to mark those bad ass pkers but it seems useless (fraction number can not see red letter on their ID)
for friendly ones I heard by marking a frienly, he can see faction base in the big map (not confirmed), also the behavior of guards set on "attach non member" is not known.

2) I use importance level quite lot. It works fine. The only problem is that you can only kick somebody out of the gang if you are the leader. I think IM should also be able to do that. I suggest to have map/area/room restrictions for different ranks. It would be good for the Item management (not letting everybody have access to most valuable stuffs, locker with a lock is not enough/not really convenient).

3) I did use faction to mark players basically because how should I know which faction he belongs.

4) I remember vaguely someone proposed a friendly/foe management system means you can upload your own hand marked friendly/foe list to the faction computer database. If a player is marked as foe for more gang members/higher rank members his name could be shown in a brighter (red) color to all members and vice versa.

5) For using color codes for gang member I haven't thought about that. Maybe not really necessary or maybe you can use the same color (blue/brown?) for your own faction members

Shangalar

• Dictatorial Tyrant
    • Generation Fallout
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 03:23:45 pm »

I used to rule several bases since the OBT3's start. The first thing I have to say : this terminal is a mess for new players ! How painful it is to explain what you took so much time to understand yourself ! And how much time you lose because of the lacking of shortcuts !

Some details about the whole terminal :

- There are many ways to lose time between the two menus : manage players list and browse players database (which includes non-members status). It should be reworked in one big visible menu that includes every management option.
- The different functions for players (new member, trustful member, etc) are useless. We just need 2 functions... member and ruler, that can invite and expel people. (and when a person is deleted, please make him unable to see the base anymore ! find any way to explain this, but do it ! One mistake and the base is finished)

About your question :

- The rank number is totally useless (and buggy).
- The membership of people in the wasteland... how to keep it updated ? it's impossible. I never used this function, and didnt understand it at all.
- Status are useful : be friend is good since we cannot buy two bases under one faction's name, and that's boring to resign from every base each time. Being neutral ? Dunno what does it change. Being enemy ? When we will be able to add a entire faction to our terminal, and say something like 'every player member in the terminal of that faction will be considered as enemy', maybe it will be usefull, for mercs for example. But otherwise, it's impossible too to add everyone with the actual system.

Maybe, connect NC to the terminal can be useful, if you find a way to make it easier to use.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:14:06 pm by Shangalar »

Heckler Spray

• former Orphans' member, now in TTT Lawyer Agency
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 03:45:26 pm »

For now, honestly, we only use this system to allow friends to visit our bases.
I think this terminal is a good feature, and the one you're suggesting sounds really good too.
The main problem is that it would take too much time to enter the name of all of your ennemies/friendly factions, cause most of the time they have many many alts (too much ?  :P ).
I think players would prefer to use their own name colorizing, cause it'd be easier to modify it (you know, copy/paste...).
Maybe it would be easier if every player you tag manually during the game were automatically registered in the terminal (tehn you'd just have to modify is status, rank...), but it don't know if it's possible.

Blood is thicker than water.
-------------------------------------

"Surf Solars Seal of Awesome" - "Amazing Music Taste" achievments

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 04:05:39 pm »

I agree with previous responds. We use only friend status feature because one gang cannot buy multiple bases. Of course, adding new members.

I think there must be hierarchy in membership, because only leader can kick player. Because this game is unplayable without alting (crafter, pvp, barter,...), i suggest that there could be one record for one human player and under this record should be his chars evided. So when he leave the gang, we can kick him all his chars in one step.

But the work with terminal is hell. I cant imagine how someone will add enemy list in the terminal. Maybe you can make little web aplication, but i think that current colourizer works good. But there is not relationship among colours, enemy players and guards setting.
So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 04:15:07 pm »

You already posted in MSH's and mine topic, so you do not need to be reminded of it, but the thing we really need is a 2-way interaction between NameColorizing and the terminal.

Its it possble to make the terminal functionality anywhere close to this? http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=2314.0

This could be awesome... but could that happen?

EDIT: I need to be a good bot and make a list of features I'd like to see in the terminal - instead of saying "i wish the sky were more blue" so here we go (ranked by priority):

- saving all terminal data to and loading from a text file (very high)
- adding short (8-12 symbols) custom text notes to players (high)
- adding a whole faction as friend/enemy (high)
- recoloring names of a whole faction (med) including your own faction
- reprogramming all radios in a specific spot near the terminal to the faction channel (low)
- encoding faction radio (med) so people other than friends and members
 a) can't understand anything
 b) can't say anything through the channel
 c) still can see the distress signal spots

Another solution to the last one would be just switching radio channel to 0 when it its taken away from hand (including death). But that would be less fun =) Keep in mind, that my goal here is not counter-intelligence, but instead anti-trolling (spamming in channels).

Now that I think of it, we do not need a full-scale NameColorizing Editor built into the terminal; we rather need it renamed to [FactionName]Info.txt, and have single and mass operations as described above available. This would make NCEditors obsolete - but, despite I appreciate the work made, no 3d party tools is the way to go. If only we could have voice chat in radios =)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:49:50 pm by Raengar »
  Use your brain!

bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 05:18:49 pm »

Possibilities:

1) You can set the color for some gang, then this color will be modified using the data entered for this player. Let's say green for faction A, then it's light green if player is marked as friend, dark green if player is marked as unfriendly.

that sounds neat.

//Is it possible to create just a small program that adds colors to names, instead of going into the .txt and write name and stuff you just have a little box like this:

(i would gladly try to do it but my programmingskills aint that much to cheer for)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:21:24 pm by bikkebakke »
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 05:34:45 pm »

that would be very useful cause it would work not only for your main character, but for your alts too :>

Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 05:40:12 pm »

that sounds neat.

//Is it possible to create just a small program that adds colors to names, instead of going into the .txt and write name and stuff you just have a little box like this:

There's already a tool for this.

bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 05:53:32 pm »

There's already a tool for this.

ah sweet, but not very fallouty, ill just try to do one for fun anyway, good practice at the least >.<
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 05:58:14 pm »

Imo FOnline should get rid of any txt files that are outside of the game. Everything should be happening inside without any need of alt-tab to manage your friends/foes/gang. Everything that is outside just kills atmosphere (but yes as temporary solution its better than nothing).

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 05:59:07 pm »

I sometimes upgraded reputation in our base, but a feature i REALLY miss is leaving messages to teammates. Like, "left faction for BoS, learn armorer profession. See ya around in NCR."

maszrum

• Soldiers of Thunderstorm
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 06:02:24 pm »

importing/exporting  player list form text file! - i cant not even imagine how usefull can be that option in terminal management

question to developers: this is even possible ?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 24 queries.