"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 20, 2024, 07:55:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [BANKS] WARNING to all new players!  (Read 10334 times)

Stration

• Get off my lawn.
[BANKS] WARNING to all new players!
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:49:58 pm »

You might not know this, but your money is not safe in any of the banks. The banking system is designed to collapse, just like it did before the recent wipe, and during the last CBT.

Proof:

What happened the last session:
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=15278.0   
(pay attention to the reply one of the developers gave; do a forum search if you are interested in reading more, the keyword is 'withdraw,' there are many more topics full of outraged players)

An even more recent (CBT) banking system collapse:
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=19280.0)
(Closed Beta Test of the current version of F2238 started: around November 08, 2011; banks started to go down: November 13, 2011, just 5 days later)

To keep your money safe, store it in a container in your tent (do not use slaves/brahmins for that, as they are currently bugged and tend to disappear randomly).

Only use a bank account if you do not have a tent, and as soon as you get one, withdraw all your assets and put them you know where.

UPDATE: one of the veterans of the community was willing to share his insight into the situation. It appears that the banking system never actually worked; click the spoiler button below for a short excerpt.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:20:18 am by Stration »

Re: [BANKS] WARNING to all new players!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:10:21 pm »

You do realize, that this behavior is what causes a bank collapse? Banks run on trust. the moment banks lose this trust, and people withdraw money the banks collapse. This thread looks like an attempt to cause chaos really.

Besides that, perhaps banks shouldnt give out any interrest. For the sake of keeping things working.

JovankaB

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:12:30 pm »

The collapse happened when people had hundreds of millions of caps if banks.
Although I don't know what happened on CBT I think money should be safe for some time.

But I don't use bank anyway.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:16:23 pm by JovankaB »

Stration

• Get off my lawn.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 03:32:10 pm »

You do realize, that this behavior is what causes a bank collapse? Banks run on trust. the moment banks lose this trust, and people withdraw money the banks collapse. This thread looks like an attempt to cause chaos really.

Besides that, perhaps banks shouldnt give out any interrest. For the sake of keeping things working.
Be my guest then, go ahead and place your trust in the system that has failed twice already and is bound to fail again, you nimrod. 0/10.

Although I don't know what happened on CBT I think money should be safe for some time.

But I don't use bank anyway.
You don't use the banks? Gee whiz! Of course you don't, you lost millions of caps like all of us the last session (didn't you?). If you still used banks, that would mean you're retarded, but apparently you aren't! Congratulations!

Seriously, guys, I specifically addressed this topic to *new* players, didn't I? Please don't confuse them by using statements such as "money should be safe for some time." No! It's not safe unless it's in your tent!

vilaz

• #1 Cat's Paw Fan!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 04:21:35 pm »

It's not safe unless it's in your tent!
Which you can rob.

It's forum. It serves free talk. Everybody have right to voice unless he's breaking some of the forum rules. Even if thread is aimed to the new players everybody have right to say something. Beside that you sounds like an arsonist. We really don't need any flame in discussions.

Oh almost forgot 1/10 for making me respond. AmIDoinItRiteGuyz?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 04:26:15 pm by vilaz »
Polskie Pustkowia http://forum.newfmc.pl

JovankaB

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 04:28:23 pm »

You don't use the banks? Gee whiz! Of course you don't, you lost millions of caps like all of us the last session (didn't you?).

Actually I didn't lose anything, I kept caps in Redding bank and withdrawed as soon as I heard
people have problems in other towns.

And in newbie tent it's not really safe either, because someone can easly follow them from grid ;)

wladimiiir

• Rotator
  • Independent FOnline developer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:31:38 pm »

Part of your caps in bank (as it provides interest rate? - not sure) and part of it somewhere else (tent).

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 05:15:37 pm »

words

I find it funny that such thread has been spawned now. Especially, that you wouldn't had a chance to see if "crisis" from previous session will happen again. With your way of thinking, i can yell around every map and board that sneakers are overpowered and should be nerfed soon - anyone remember Sniper Hunting Blues in NCR about year/two ago? Hey, it happened once, so it's going to be like that again! Me has proofz!1one. Even if we wouldn't touch banking system at all, we have about year to make changes; that's +- when it was becoming clear that crisis will happen - and it did, few months later player saw it with their own binoculars.

But such thread so early is just a crappy way to scare newcomers. You have no idea if it will happen again (and it may, i'm not saying that it won't, it was actually pretty interesting to watch). You have no idea if/how it's changed. You have no idea do we have updates prepared to be applied in the right time. I would fully understand such thread in at least month or two, but for now...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:27:17 pm by Wipe »
Games are meant to be created, not played...

solid snake

• Got a smoke?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:31:24 pm »

op "put all your caps in your tent all you new players so i can follow you there and rape you!"

/thread

Stration

• Get off my lawn.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 05:55:10 pm »

It's forum. It serves free talk. Everybody have right to voice unless he's breaking some of the forum rules.
They sure do. But the original poster has rights too, for example the right to tell them that they're posting in a wrong thread. Or maybe he doesn't? I'm getting confused here...
in newbie tent it's not really safe either, because someone can easly follow them from grid
The bottom line is that if you put your money into a container in your tent, it's up to you to make sure nobody takes it away. If you deposit your money in a bank, there's nothing you can do to prevent it from being rendered largely inaccessible to you at any given point in time for no apparent reason.
(...)You have no idea(...)
What you are saying is 100% true in the sense that I am no fortune teller. I do, however, recognize a pattern when I see one. I can see that the interest rates are back. I can remember what they led to the last session. I can remember what they led to in the last CBT. I do not know whether or not the problem will arise again. It might well be that it won't. It might well be that I have just prevented it from arising. It might just as well be that I actually caused it again by starting this very thread, thankfully only on a tiny scale, since there's not too much money around yet.

Whatever the future has in store for us, the keyword is preparedness. This topic's sole aim is to merely inform new players of a possibility of something very, very bad that might happen if they take no precautions against it when they still can. I certainly wish someone had started a similar one before the first bank run occurred.

Atom

• Rotator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 06:09:18 pm »

The system underwent a change and the players' accounts wealth is regulated by interests tied to actual wealth of the bank in which the accounts are registerd. They will be more and more flat (in fact approaching zero) as the time progresses (real wealth is expected to be lineraly growing). The CBT banks did not collapse, instead the global money pool was too low for the system to actually work. This is something that does not happen in OBT.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:12:59 pm by Atom »
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 06:43:59 pm »

I really don't understand, can someone explain to me why don't banks have infinite money, money that isn't kept on an npc, dammit.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 07:13:27 pm »

I really don't understand, can someone explain to me why don't banks have infinite money, money that isn't kept on an npc, dammit.

To put it simply. The banks will not crash.

/Thread
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

jodwig

• I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong either
    • After War Mod
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 07:14:52 pm »

Because, when I put few thousands of caps, after some time I could withdraw 600k, get it now?
Only people who are ready to die should be able to kill...

Stration

• Get off my lawn.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 07:30:35 pm »

To put it simply. The banks will not crash.

/Thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 27 queries.