"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 18, 2024, 04:14:34 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Mutilator's guide to HTH builds  (Read 19845 times)

Mutilator's guide to HTH builds
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:57:43 pm »

Melee builds are a good way to go if you don't like the long waiting involved with cooldowns or the risk of losing gear in combat. First off I'll start off with the basic things you need to know:

*The unarmed combat tables; as you level different attacks add bonus damage or chance to crit. Knowing what does what is crucial so always consider this table.  http://www.fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Unarmed

*Fast shot affects hth and melee, this is essential to damage based builds.

*First aid is crucial in staying alive, with 10 luck you always heal the base amount of your skill so even a low FA with 10 luck is more powerful than high FA with any other amount of luck.

*Doctor skill has multiple benefits, the least of which is healing crippled limbs. You can removed weakend state 100% of the time if your skill is 10x your current level. Living anatomy is highly recommended for bypassing high armour values, the more hits you get in the better this perk.

*There is such a thing as too many skill points. With fast shot the most you should have in a melee skill is 130%. If an enemy has max agility and brotherhood armour thats 30 ac total, you'll still have 95% chance to hit.

*Melee crit builds can have 95% chance to crit on eyeshots with high damage and armour piercing, but the tradeoff is you get one to two hits instead of 4-6 with a damage build. You're looking at 30-50 damage per turn with chance to cripple vs about 130 damage a turn with no chance to cripple.

*With many hth damage bonuses most melee weapons become worse than fists, but at end level using a ripper will do about double the damage(and has piercing) but with 15% less chance to crit. Rippers can be found at 0% det. in caves pretty much everywhere but their owners can kill you quickly if you don't have a lot of health.

SPECIAL ED

Strength: The most strength you need for unarmed attacks is 6, 4 for ripper builds. You get 1+ hth for each point you put in past 6.

Perception: No real use for hth builds, you can see whats within distance and long range chars will kill you long before you get near them so seeing them isn't much of an advantage. Also most instances are small enough that they will be within line of sight.

Endurance: Definitely a high priority put as many points into this as your build allows and remember never to put an uneven number as its a wasted point. I strongly suggest having 10.

Charisma: Another useless skill. For a first character you could put 3 but its a waste in the long run. Mentats can be taken to up even the most pitiful levels to do the starting quests which I will talk about later and talking to npcs is useless unless you have high barter (which you probably won't).

Intelligence: It is very important for most builds and depending on what skills you want you can sacrifice combat ability for other skills. One of my builds has 5 int and at 21 has 130 unarmed, 138 FA(with 10 luck) and 211 doctor with living anatomy taken as the last perk. This means I can get back to the game 60 seconds after being killed. The trade off is i only have 4 attacks and less health than I'd like.

Agility: 10 is always a good idea but you can get away with 8 with fast shot if you need points elsewhere. For 12 ap builds throwing is a good option for a secondary skill although it will eat up a lot of skill points. You can throw accurately with 1 pe with 150 throwing. Remember that 7 is the minimum for haymaker which is one of the best hth attacks in the game, especially for fast shot.

Luck: The least amount you should ever have is 6 for toughness, which is crucial to any build. 10 is ideal for the FA effect. If you have a jinxed char having 10 luck will limit your crit fails to missing a turn, where anyone with low luck can have everything from losing ammo to having a grenade explode in their hands. A lot of critters will cripple themselves trying to hurt you like this.

Traits

I'm only going to cover the ones that are useful.

*Fast shot is pretty crucial for obvious reasons

*Heavy handed is a good choice if you aren't a crit build. More damage all the time greatly outweighs a bit more damage infrequently.

*Small frame can get you that extra point and the downside isn't an issue when you don't have gear.

*Jinxed can be a fun extra but only if you have high luck, otherwise prepare yourself for frustration.

*Good natured can give low int chars that FA/doc boost they need.

*One hander affects all energy based melee weapons so if you want to save on skillpoints its an option, especially if you are going for eye shots.

Re: Mutilator's guide to HTH builds
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »

Perks

*Toughness is essential. You have to trade off damage to get it but its worth it. I made a maximum damage char and he doesn't do very well unless he is in metal mk 2. If you have access to a lot of armour its a doable tradeoff.

*Bonus hth damage adds up, with 3 ranks, heavy handed and 10 str you get +15 damage. For unamed this means 12-22 damage per punch. With a ripper its roughly 30-50 per 2 ap attack.

*Action boy x 2 can net you 6 attacks per turn or an attack every 0.83 seconds. For a crit build you need 11 ap for your final targeted attack so keep that in mind.

* More crit, honestly I don't think its really worth it since random crippling isn't implemented. Even without the -30% roll on the crit table you're only looking at an extra 10-15 damage and with the base cirt levels of unarmed already being pretty high there are better perks.

*Lifegiver is very important, but the second rank is a waste of a perk. 20 extra health isn't a very good tradeoff.

*Living anatomy has the dual effect of adding +5 damage after DR is calculated and adding a 20% bonus to doc, very useful. 30 extra damage with 6 attacks is a very nice bonus.

* If hth evade and faster hth attacks ever start working take those, until then its more of a wishlist situation.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:13:14 pm by Roachor »

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:02:49 pm »

Holy shit! Fast shot works with hth?! My world has just crumbled.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:18:11 pm »

Holy shit! Fast shot works with hth?! My world has just crumbled.

Yeah if faster hth worked you could put out 300+ damage a turn

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:50:41 pm »

yeah, 1 ap for the haymaker would make an unarmed character so much more useful

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:25:05 pm »

If I used a unarmed weapon like spiked Knuckles or power fist, will I still can use strong punch or haymaker, Piercing Strike? I can use strong punch now but if I equipped the knuckles, I only get punch instead of strong punch. So I am bit confused about this since knuckles is also unarmed weapon.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:30:07 pm »

If I used a unarmed weapon like spiked Knuckles or power fist, will I still can use strong punch or haymaker, Piercing Strike? I can use strong punch now but if I equipped the knuckles, I only get punch instead of strong punch. So I am bit confused about this since knuckles is also unarmed weapon.

Knuckles for noobs at unarmed, with big skill at unarmed you using east type of fighting. So you use your fingers and palms, not fists. That's why knuckes do less damage, than your bare hands.
Changed nickname. This acc not in use anymore. Please, devs/mods/gms/ whoever, you can delete it.

FischiPiSti

• frikkin' SledgeHammer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:43:56 pm »

So umm... I dont get the part with

"It costs you one less action point for guns and thrown weapons."

effecting HtH. FO1 Fast shot trait effected every weapon according to the wiki, but as far as i know FOnline is based on FO2 in which fast shot was completely useless for a melee character.

So is this a huge bug either in the mechanics, or just a simple graphical bug in the char making screen which mislead me and ruined my character?

Because Fast shot would sooo much better then heavy handed in my case :(
Even in realtime aimed shots are useless anyway since by the time i get to the enemy, select which limb to attack, he just casually steps 1 hex away and im out of range. (and most likely dead a few moments later) :/

Btw i had a very high skill(150+ i dont remember) in melee in FO1, and i made a critical strike with every attack to the eyes on super mutants, so i thought extra skill increases the chance to crit, or am i wrong and the 20+ points spent in melee was a waste?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:54:31 pm by FischiPiSti »
Troll.
HtH suggestions: Melee: +DR(PA)
Unarmed: +AC(active sneak should boost AC as they are "less visible")
General "class" idea pool in the form of new perks with high skillrequirements: http://anarchyonline.wikia.com/wiki/Professions
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 04:52:38 pm »

Knuckles for noobs at unarmed, with big skill at unarmed you using east type of fighting. So you use your fingers and palms, not fists. That's why knuckes do less damage, than your bare hands.
Thanks for the help. But how about power fist? With it can you use Haymaker or Piercing Strike?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 04:57:36 pm »

Thanks for the help. But how about power fist? With it can you use Haymaker or Piercing Strike?

Don't know exactly. But i think not.
Changed nickname. This acc not in use anymore. Please, devs/mods/gms/ whoever, you can delete it.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 05:25:36 pm »

*One hander affects all energy based melee weapons so if you want to save on skillpoints its an option, especially if you are going for eye shots.

what about pwr fist?
see you in the boneyard
shoot me an infallible kiss
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »

You don't get the additional + to damage and crit bonus from using named attacks like haymaker and piercing fist when using unarmed weapons. So when you use brass knuckles you do less damage because they do 2-5 so it lowers the amount you do significantly. Power fist does 12-24 so it outweighs the 7 dmg you lose from using the item. The bonus to hth on your character sheet does stack with it though so it should be possible to do like 27-39 per hit with hth damage x 3, heavy handed and the str bonus. As for fast shot, its affected more things since last wipe.

Another tip for low level players, if you equip a rock and scroll to the punch attack it will take 1 ap less to punch, so you can hit 10 times a turn at lvl 1. This is less beneficial at high levels but at the start you should be able to kill most critters.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:35:39 pm by Roachor »

virus341

• +5 AC perk. Fck yeah!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 01:16:22 am »

How is it better to gain exp: craft, encs or may be smth special (caves?)?
On lvl 2-3 can i gain exp by killing creeps (smaall scorps and others)?
What equipment will i need to do this? (metall armor or can i go just without anything at all?)

Others advice on exping please :)
Very very interesting guide, thanks btw
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 02:35:15 am »

You don't get the additional + to damage and crit bonus from using named attacks like haymaker and piercing fist when using unarmed weapons. So when you use brass knuckles you do less damage because they do 2-5 so it lowers the amount you do significantly. Power fist does 12-24 so it outweighs the 7 dmg you lose from using the item. The bonus to hth on your character sheet does stack with it though so it should be possible to do like 27-39 per hit with hth damage x 3, heavy handed and the str bonus. As for fast shot, its affected more things since last wipe.

Another tip for low level players, if you equip a rock and scroll to the punch attack it will take 1 ap less to punch, so you can hit 10 times a turn at lvl 1. This is less beneficial at high levels but at the start you should be able to kill most critters.
Thank you. Very useful information.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 03:19:42 am »

How is it better to gain exp: craft, encs or may be smth special (caves?)?
On lvl 2-3 can i gain exp by killing creeps (smaall scorps and others)?
What equipment will i need to do this? (metall armor or can i go just without anything at all?)

Others advice on exping please :)
Very very interesting guide, thanks btw

It depends what you want to do, healing yourself gives 3xp per hp healed so that adds up if you have high endurance. Pve at low levels your best bet is the mutant plants around the glow, at mid go for small deathclaws around v13 and at high levels go for large deathclaws in caves or centaurs and floaters. Crafting is the easiest way to xp but its the most boring. Always take toughness x2 and you should be good in metal as long as you play it safe with the hp.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.