"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 03:01:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Advice for new players: scavenging instead of shoveling  (Read 2249 times)

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
Advice for new players: scavenging instead of shoveling
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »

Want to make easy caps?
Tired of shoveling brahmin shit?

The brahmin traders of California exploit the shovelers they hire: they only pay the ridiculous amount of 5 caps for each piece of excrement cleaned, except in Shady Sands and the Hub, were the effort of the Union of NCR Shovelers was able to have their pay increased to 10 caps, which is still very low. It is also important to remember that most employeers don't offer their workers any kind of real security. This is true even in heavily guarded NCR towns where the law enforcers are still not able to stop thieves and anti-NCR suicide bombers.

Shoveling is also a work in which you will sometimes have to compete with fellow shovelers for those pieces of excrement. Are you really willing to keep harming your dignity like that?

Instead of wasting your time working for one of those greedy people of the brahmin business, we tell you it's a lot better to do like us: scavenge!

It is still possible to find useful objects in Old World cities, and you can get a nice amount of caps, as well as basic armor, weapons and ammunition, from traders with them!

When you are a scavenger, you are your own boss: you decide where to scavenge, and where to sell what you have found. Scavengers rarely have to compete against other scavengers over a piece of pre War junk, because there is always more than enough for everyone, not like when you shovel shit!

So don't wait anymore, leave that shovel behind and start scavenging today!

Boneyard Scavengers
Look for Lorraine in New Adytum for more information!

Getting Junk from random city ruins map (like in the Boneyard, around Vault 15, around San Francisco or south of the Gecko mine, for example) and crafting basic items from it, to then sell them to NPC merchants is a good way for new players to get their first gear and money, instead of shoveling shit or lifting boxes which are the activities recommended in the Wiki.

Probably the best option is to craft BB's with the Junk you gather. NPC merchants who deal in Small Guns will pay 4 caps for each single BB. With only 4 pieces of Junk, you can craft 50 BB's (200 caps) and even get 40xp for it.

If you scavenge in the Boneyard, you can trade with Jargo (in Adytum) for armor, small guns and ammo, or with the Gunrunners for small/big guns, energy weapons and armor. So in that area you will be able to get basic gear quick. This will help you get your tent a bit more easily (Brahmins can be found south of the Hub as well) and you won't have to worry so much if you are killed: you can always scavenge again and buy new gear.

Another option is to look for Xander Roots and Broc Flowers. They are a lot lighter than Junk and can be found all around. If you gather a considerable amount of them, like 500 each (it should be the same amount of roots and flowers, since both are needed to craft Stimpaks and Super Stimpaks) you might be able to get good money from them if you do an auction.

Another thing you can do with roots and flowers is crafting Weak Healing Powder, which only demands 40% or more in your First Aid skill. Each unit crafted will only give you 8xp, but since the materials can be found very easily and in great amounts, that is not really a problem. NPCs who deal in Drugs will pay you 40 caps for each Powder.

Special thanks to Cryofluid, who allowed me to use a picture from Caravan to Hub for this post.
Thanks to Wind_Drift, who mentioned Weak Healing Powder as an alternative to BB's.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:27:28 am by Eternauta »
Re: Advice for new players: scavenging instead of shoveling
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 04:38:09 pm »

New players who just started should keep in mind that the current cooldowns for gathering and crafting have been seriously lowered.
That means that after the wipe the cooldowns might be higher which means you can gather and craft less in the same period of time.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:52:25 pm »

Rember that putting on your cleanest bluesuit isnt a smart thigs, like for shovelers... shit happens.
Quote from: Grommok
Chi si ritira dalla lotta
E' un gran figlio di mignotta!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:37:40 am »

I think now, the best non-combat option is crafting ropes.

U can gather 96 fibers per each full cooldown. Than u can make 48 ropes, which gives u: 4800caps, and 960exp points. And whole thing in around 8 minutes. Then, after 22 minutes, u can do it one more time.

The only thing is needed is 40% outdoorsman, which means that if u want to level up by ropes, from beginning, u have to tag that skill. And of course one knife:P

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 09:31:02 am »

Good post, short and clear - sticky request!

Doctor Eex

• TEE Hive Father
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 10:07:11 am »

AFAIK Sha Enin in NCR buys shit 30 caps each piece via barter.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 10:11:15 am »

AFAIK Sha Enin in NCR buys shit 30 caps each piece via barter.
Shit is like activated dynamite, he won't buy it from you, he'll say that offer isn't good, even if you want to sell him shit for free. And if you see shit in his inventory in barter screen, it means he looted someone's body, but since Sha Enin is blocked by invisible hexes he can't loot, it means if he still has shit in inventory, he looted it long long time ago, when he wasn't blocked.

Doctor Eex

• TEE Hive Father
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:17:09 am »

Shit is like activated dynamite, he won't buy it from you, he'll say that offer isn't good, even if you want to sell him shit for free. And if you see shit in his inventory in barter screen, it means he looted someone's body, but since Sha Enin is blocked by invisible hexes he can't loot, it means if he still has shit in inventory, he looted it long long time ago, when he wasn't blocked.
You just have broke my pink-glasses.
*gotta download client to sell some shit to some traders.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:20:22 am »

*gotta download client to sell some shit to some traders.
If you somehow succeed, then, please, tell me how you made it, because if you somehow sold brahmin shit, then you can do the same with activated dynamite. But still I think Sha Enin won't die from it, as he's GM-like, but it will be fun to see Sha Enin exploding.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 10:23:25 am »

RavenousRat and Sha Enin - the battle that wages on forever.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 03:41:38 pm »

I think now, the best non-combat option is crafting ropes.

Thanks for the tips, but I still think BB's are better for a loner who doesn't have access to a base where he can gather fibers. It has always been a lot easier for me to find Junk than Fibers.

Good post, short and clear - sticky request!

Thanks!

RavenousRat and Sha Enin - the battle that wages on forever.

It's like the FOnline version of the Blood Wars :D
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »

No honorable mention for Weak Healing Powder? With a First Aid skill of 40 (you DID tag first aid, right?) you can craft weak healing powder from broc flower or Xander root. Even with the old cooldown, it was easy money. You get three for every flower or root you gather, and each bag sells for 40 caps each at the right traders.

The best part is that you don't have to travel to boneyard to do it, and raw flowers and roots are not as heavy as junk.
Iguana Pete's sister

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »

Weak Healing Powder

Man, you are right! I forgot to mention it!

I will edit the post later ;) thanks!

(edited!)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:06:52 pm by Eternauta »

Jackall

• This is a mean old world.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 03:00:40 pm »

Ha ha! Good job mate, awesome guide! Let's hope to encounter some players when scavenging in the ruins of L.A.  ;)

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 03:16:09 pm »

Ha ha! Good job mate, awesome guide! Let's hope to encounter some players when scavenging in the ruins of L.A.  ;)

Thanks comrade :) I have actually met some one of the last times I logged in to the game. Not sure if they had read this though.

I had to format my computer and lost my Fallout 2 (yeah I am that stupid :D :D :D :D) but I'm getting it again. I am inactive but this is not a quit, and especially not a ragequit! I will be seen again ingame with my madmaxwannabeness!

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.