"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 07:21:45 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

How many levels of the lifegiver perk would you say you give you're characters on average

2 (whats the point of only using 1?)
1.5 (half my chars have 1 and the other half have 2)
1 (It helps but 2 isn't really essential)
none (it's a wasted perk!)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: do you use lifegiver?  (Read 3157 times)

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
do you use lifegiver?
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:15:04 pm »

I am trying to figure out if the life giver perk is obsolete, i.e. if everyone uses it then why have it?

if everyone uses this perk equally and we get rid of it we are all still equal but we get 2 more perk's which we can use for other purposes!

wargreymon19

• Master of the hell... in the earth!!!
Re: do you use lifegiver?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:52:46 pm »

Life Giver used for more HP... +1 (4HP) +2 (8HP).... is better for have 200 or 250 HP in lvl 21
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 09:04:24 pm »

Lifegiver might be useless in regular Fo where you have a Save/Load feature. It is not in Fonline. I mostly do PvE and i couldnt do it without at least a level in LG, naither alone nor in a team. My main alt is a crafter, but i don't think my burster would survive a Gang Press encounter without LG. Just to make an exemple.
I can understand your point, that perk is practically mandatory, we could choose more interesting ones instead.. But this is the point of view of a PvEer, and I'm not alone, trust me.

mrninjamonk

• Crazy 88
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 09:05:33 pm »

I am trying to figure out if the life giver perk is obsolete, i.e. if everyone uses it then why have it?

if everyone uses this perk equally and we get rid of it we are all still equal but we get 2 more perk's which we can use for other purposes!

Yes but there is more to it than just having more HP. This can give a chance to make the PvP battled last longer, you can get a chance to survive a LSW burst instead of instakill. having more HP gives game more depth.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 09:32:09 pm »

of course it is, but my reasoning is this:

if we are all using lifegiver to make extremely durable yet extremely low intelligent tank builds (which I believe we are all guilty of out of necessity) we could potentially cancel out the lifegiver perk leaving all of our characters "more" equal.

What I hope this will help to achieve is a more dynamic wasteland full of PC's that are more adaptable to their (now slightly harsher yet more realistic) environment while narrowing the HP gap between the tanks and the professors not to mention tanks will have 2 perk slots now available to more interesting and balancing perks. People will need to rely more on their characters skills and each other making the game that much more social and people will need to consider their actions a third time before carrying them out.

Personally I prefer intelligent characters to stupid ones as they are more skilled (a trait I no longer use because characters only survive the wasteland as is if they are extremely specialized) and I find that extremely specialized characters are only good for one thing and are thus less interesting to play with in the long run. So instead we make alts, one for each of our needs, and then rely on caves to share between them which I find tedious. Unfortunately smart characters, while far more interesting to play with, have a very small niche in the wasteland because a highly skilled man with 110 hp will get slaughtered by a mindless juggernaut with 250 HP without much hope

of course this is my opinion which is why I started a poll but I guess it comes down to this;

do you prefer superman or batman?

keeping in mind that the two can't really exist in the same universe (despite what happens of children's television these days).

I would say that super man had only three things going for him. He can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes and he is virtually indestructible. The only thing that made him remotely interesting was that his foes were always equally and ridiculously over charged.

I always liked batman more.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:44:29 pm »

of course it is, but my reasoning is this:

if we are all using lifegiver to make extremely durable yet extremely low intelligent tank builds (which I believe we are all guilty of out of necessity) we could potentially cancel out the lifegiver perk leaving all of our characters "more" equal.

What I hope this will help to achieve is a more dynamic wasteland full of PC's that are more adaptable to their (now slightly harsher yet more realistic) environment while narrowing the HP gap between the tanks and the professors not to mention tanks will have 2 perk slots now available to more interesting and balancing perks. People will need to rely more on their characters skills and each other making the game that much more social and people will need to consider their actions a third time before carrying them out.

Personally I prefer intelligent characters to stupid ones as they are more skilled (a trait I no longer use because characters only survive the wasteland as is if they are extremely specialized) and I find that extremely specialized characters are only good for one thing and are thus less interesting to play with in the long run. So instead we make alts, one for each of our needs, and then rely on caves to share between them which I find tedious. Unfortunately smart characters, while far more interesting to play with, have a very small niche in the wasteland because a highly skilled man with 110 hp will get slaughtered by a mindless juggernaut with 250 HP without much hope

of course this is my opinion which is why I started a poll but I guess it comes down to this;

do you prefer superman or batman?

keeping in mind that the two can't really exist in the same universe (despite what happens of children's television these days).

I would say that super man had only three things going for him. He can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes and he is virtually indestructible. The only thing that made him remotely interesting was that his foes were always equally and ridiculously over charged.

I always liked batman more.

I think this is pretty much an argument against power gaming/alting rather than lifegiver itself and in my opinion you are absolutely right. Skilled or balanced characters as I would call them have no place alongside 'low intelligent tank builds' or power gamers.

It would be great to wander across the wasteland and find a guy who's a mechanic and pretty damn nifty with a rifle, or a slaver with a fetish for blades. Rather than 150 down syndrome burns victims with an acrobat's agility. However this will never happen and is only possible within the realms of RP.

wreese2u

• Been walking these streets since last night...
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »

I have 7 str 10 en and 1 lifegiver i have 222 hp ;]

Gaizk

• -40 5mm +1 Frag
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 10:13:39 pm »

I think this is pretty much an argument against power gaming/alting rather than lifegiver itself and in my opinion you are absolutely right. Skilled or balanced characters as I would call them have no place alongside 'low intelligent tank builds' or power gamers.

It would be great to wander across the wasteland and find a guy who's a mechanic and pretty damn nifty with a rifle, or a slaver with a fetish for blades. Rather than 150 down syndrome burns victims with an acrobat's agility. However this will never happen and is only possible within the realms of RP.

Powerbuilds are In MY OWN opinion, the single worst feature on this game... to anyones chagrin that is.

I have several alts and powerbuilds, and 1 main crafter not very combat oriented, and I find my crafter to be the most fun of all my characters however it also puts me in a huge disadvantage at the mainstream of powerbuilds which do tear me apart.

At PVE Crafters do rather nicely if well done and well played... but theres no such thing as pure PVE, at any moment anyone can jump in and slaughter you. Thus the big issue at hand comes the forced PVP mechanics that ruins crafting roleplaying
I think it's much better now. It's strange to see how everyone is a millionare in a wasteland..

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 10:28:51 pm »

it could happen, the game just needs to necessitate it. I like the suggestion about making water intake necessary in order to travel. If characters want to go anywhere without a car they will need to be able to find water in the waste which will require a certain level of outdoorsman slanting the scale a bit more towards skilled. If they choose to use a car instead they will need to be able to use a toolkit, especially if driving had risks such as critical car failures.

I think once the game becomes more balanced so will the characters, but I see lifegiver as one of the most unbalancing factors in the game (probably right after the current state of the critical system) mainly because it creates such a huge gap between chars that have it and chars that don't...

Obviously there is no magic bullet to balance the game and the scales will need to be tweaked continuously, but perhaps this is something that could be looked at?

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 11:53:25 pm »

But lifegiver IS what determines hp.
A 10 endurance character may have less hp than a 6 endurance character with 2 lifegiver.

Having character with high hp is often related to low range. You have to survive the ennemy bullet until you manage to get close enough to shoot him. Removing hp differences would be equal than removing range/perception difference. By removing these aspect, you remove differences between characters.
In that case, it would be pointless to have the ability to create your character if anyone should have the same than the other.
(if you remove high hp characters, everyone would have a sniper or a character that shoot 6 crits in a row)

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 12:24:27 am »

But lifegiver IS what determines hp.
A 10 endurance character may have less hp than a 6 endurance character with 2 lifegiver.

Having character with high hp is often related to low range. You have to survive the ennemy bullet until you manage to get close enough to shoot him. Removing hp differences would be equal than removing range/perception difference. By removing these aspect, you remove differences between characters.
In that case, it would be pointless to have the ability to create your character if anyone should have the same than the other.
(if you remove high hp characters, everyone would have a sniper or a character that shoot 6 crits in a row)

I totally agree which is why I said in my previous post that this is less of an imbalance in the game than the critical table is at the moment. both would need to be addressed. But if critical values are weakened then the maximum hp system will need adjustment too. 

My issue here really is the necessity for power builds, not specifically hp or crits and I believe that a necessity for 'diversity' builds will help to balance and enhance the way people play the game rather than the game itself... if that makes sense

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 12:45:14 am »

I totally agree which is why I said in my previous post that this is less of an imbalance in the game than the critical table is at the moment. both would need to be addressed. But if critical values are weakened then the maximum hp system will need adjustment too. 

My issue here really is the necessity for power builds, not specifically hp or crits and I believe that a necessity for 'diversity' builds will help to balance and enhance the way people play the game rather than the game itself... if that makes sense

Due to the game engine unfortunately the 'pr0s' will always be defined within certain roles with low cha and int and then beefing up the necessary stats. It's kind of like the warrior, mage and rogue set up but you have bg, crippler and burst for example.

Nothing is going to be able to change that. Besides that how a large amount of players like to play (with their alts). It would be wrong to enforce things on one group because another feels it's necessary.

Playing anything other than these is considered a 'gimped' char. Personally I refuse to play as a low int low cha power build. Why? Because my Melee Slaver isn't stupid or ugly :)

The way I play it is that I don't really see power gamers as other people in the game world, I kind of see them as the embodiment of the harsh wasteland. Just one more thing to avoid and run away from :)

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 01:28:47 am »

Due to the game engine unfortunately the 'pr0s' will always be defined within certain roles with low cha and int and then beefing up the necessary stats. It's kind of like the warrior, mage and rogue set up but you have bg, crippler and burst for example.

Nothing is going to be able to change that. Besides that how a large amount of players like to play (with their alts). It would be wrong to enforce things on one group because another feels it's necessary.

Playing anything other than these is considered a 'gimped' char. Personally I refuse to play as a low int low cha power build. Why? Because my Melee Slaver isn't stupid or ugly :)

The way I play it is that I don't really see power gamers as other people in the game world, I kind of see them as the embodiment of the harsh wasteland. Just one more thing to avoid and run away from :)

you have a good point with forcing people to play the game a certain way.

however we don't know if most people prefer to play with power-builds. For instance I don't like it but i still do it because it's a survival necessity under the current conditions. I'm getting a pretty even spread with this poll and perhaps a more appropriate question is how many people play tough and dumb because they need to and how many simply want to.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 01:48:09 am »

Its survival of the fittest, if you dont adapt to the powerbuild rules, you will easily die. Also I dont agree that powerbuilds have low INT, almost every powerbuild uses BROF, which requires 6 int, thus everyone sets INT to 6.

With current mechanics, lvl 12 lifegiver gives a 4 END char almost 50% hp boost, 10 END char receives 25% boost. As long as we have low maximum hp, we need to take lifegiver (speaking about combat chars). If you want to nerf lifegivers, you need to raise hp pool.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 02:39:37 am »

Its survival of the fittest, if you dont adapt to the powerbuild rules, you will easily die.

that's been my point so far, however adapting a char to deal with power builds doesn't mean that he is adaptable

Also I dont agree that powerbuilds have low INT, almost every powerbuild uses BROF, which requires 6 int, thus everyone sets INT to 6.

this may be true, but the a power-build is really still designed to do one thing and one thing only

With current mechanics, lvl 12 lifegiver gives a 4 END char almost 50% hp boost, 10 END char receives 25% boost. As long as we have low maximum hp, we need to take lifegiver (speaking about combat chars). If you want to nerf lifegivers, you need to raise hp pool.

I agree, there should always be tough-sons-of-bitches roaming the waste but isn't the possibility of a 75% hp increase a little much? i'm guilty of this myself but i would stop right now if it meant a more diverse wasteland

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 24 queries.