Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:32:44 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

What character would you play ?

A mutant ! Slow, tough and powerful, that's me !
A ghoul ! Some crazy, slow and highly-intelligent sniper.
A human. A polyvalent char, yes sir !
I would try all of them, I have no favorite race.
I would prefer everyone to play humans characters.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Wanna play as a mutant or a ghoul?  (Read 20140 times)

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Wanna play as a mutant or a ghoul?
« on: December 19, 2009, 02:52:37 pm »

What's this idea ?
It would be cool if players were able to play ghouls or mutants. It would had diversity and mix a bit this clones-world ! It would, plus, add some more RPG-elements to the game, because if you want to be really good at Big Guns, you need to be a mutant, and not to remain human.

Developers said that in the late future this feature would be enabled. Let's give them some ideas and some more details about it !

Why would I change my race ?
Mutants and ghouls have lots of flaws. Most of them are due to one thing : Fallout developers never made their complete animation set. It means that ghouls can only use rifles, and Mutants can only use big guns. Except if someone spends hours and hours on this, we'll have to deal with it. If you decide to change your race, it means you'll suffer those flaws. That's why - and for realism - you also need some good qualities.

Ghouls

Ghouls are slow. There are two different ghouls skin, the green one (Harold's skin) and the Scavenger's one (Lenny skin). Green can use rifles (Small gun skill only) and Scavengers can use pistols. To give a particularity to the ghouls, it's better to make them able to use the rifles instead of the pistols. So green skin seems the best choice. Also, because they are slow, using pistols only would be a real suicide.
Inconvenients :
  • They can use only rifles (small gun rifles animation).
  • They are very slow. I mean they are REALLY slow, a lot slower than a walking human.

What can we give them as qualities ? Ghouls can use rifles and are slow. They would be perfect as snipers ! They also could be smart. They would be wonderful crafters, also, or doctors.
So here is what I suggest for them :
  • SPECIAL : Maximum strenght : 5 ; Perception bonus : +9 (So they all would have 10) ; Maximum Endurance : 5 ; Maximum Charisma : 1 ; Intelligence bonus : +3, Agility : -3 (Max. 7) ; Luck : Same as normal.
  • Jinxed trait.
  • Radiation resistance : +50
  • Damage resistance : -10
  • Various % bonuses to skills Small Guns, Doctor, First Aid, Repair, Science.

So they would be very slow, fragile, ugly (CH 1), good snipers and good crafters.

Mutants

Mutants are slow. They can use all the big guns weapons and the energy rifles.
Inconvenients :
  • They can use only big guns and energy rifles.
  • They are slow, like a walking human.

We can see that they have less inconvenients than ghouls : They can use lots of guns and are faster. What can we give them as qualities ? With Big Guns and Energy guns, and also because they are big, it'd be wise to use them as tanks.
So here is what I suggest for them :
  • SPECIAL : Strenght bonus : +9 (So they all would have 10); Perception : -4 (Max. 6) ; Endurance bonus : +3 ; Maximum Charisma : 1 ; Intelligence : -10 (Max. 1), Agility : -3 ; Luck : Same as normal.
  • Radiation resistance : +50
  • Damage resistance : +10
  • Various and tremendous % bonuses to skills Big Guns, Energy Guns, Unarmed, Melee, Lockpick.

So they would be slow, tough, ugly (CH 1), tough and good fighters in close combat.

Armors
Armors are a problem, at least for mutants. Neither ghouls nor mutants can wear normal armors. It's not a real problem for the fragile ghouls, but mutants need some, because they're close-combat fighters.
  • Of course, they could only rely on their high damage resistance and their high Hit Points (They'd need a bonus on it, in that case).
  • There's another solution but that requires more work. I think it's not the best solution : To make some armors only for mutants/ghouls, that do not change skin. But it's hard to do, I think.

How would I become a ghoul or a mutant ?
One easy solution is to make it an option on registeration. But I'd personnally prefer some quest. To become a mutant, a long quest at the Cathedral (Master and unity headquarters) could be fine. For the ghouls, maybe in Gecko (Quest in the powerplant ?) or in Necropolis (The mean Set transforms another poor victim into ghoul ?).

As always, feel free to discuss and argue about any point here. And don't forget to vote, there's a poll above this topic !
Thank you for reading. Post your comments and critics !
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:09:53 pm by Izual »
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
Re: Wanna play as a mutant or a ghoul ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 04:09:06 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the 'scavenger' ghoul skins have running animations (even if they do look broken like hell)?
That could be a pay off for choosing that type of ghoul and only being able to use pistols, you could have both in-game then if this was ever to happen.
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 04:17:12 pm »

If we include playability of ghoul and supermutant, we take the original ghoul. We nailed it down to this already long time ago.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:03:47 am »

Isn't Mutant's max. IN 1 a bit too harsh? That's only 7 skill points per level and combined with max. PE 6, won't it be hard to hit anything at long range (especially during night)? And there were occasionaly smarter mutants than IN 1 in Fallout games.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 12:12:12 am by Dash »

skejwen

• BBS AKBAR!
    • Brahmins rox
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:18:43 am »

Well - Imho it would be better to base this on fo:t SPECIAL builds for those... eeer "races" ;)
"Moo-OooooOO! MoMoo.. MmmmoOoo.. Moo!", translate from brahmin to English: "Two things are infinite - brahmin shit and human stupidity! - Brahminstein"

Berko

• Tim Tom Ted
    • http://kabefis.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 02:05:58 am »

Hum .. it will be hard to run against all the creatures of the wasteland :D

But, I like the idea of the quest wich give us a new possibility of play (reroll in new race?)
And why not have new perk/trait with each race like Fallout tactic.

About SPECIAL of them .. why Mutants or Ghouls can't be a good leader? 3 max in charisma and very bad reputation in every human city can be fine

For armor, make a defaut mutant trait which give a bonus each level. Level 21 mutant have an equivalent of an armor.
Or somethings like that.

~~~ Ashes of Phoenix project --> http://fonline-aop.net/ ~~~
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 08:42:45 am »

I think what you've laid forward is terrible, you've given each race a bunch of preset stats with no thought to balance but rather to the backstory.
So what we end up with is a bunch of races that can only do one or two things and have bonuses that don't actually work together with the few things they can do.
"You can use big guns and laser rifles!" "Oh yeah you also have only 1 int so the total you can get in a skill is no where near enough to use either of those gun types"
"Oh you're also good at unarmed, good luck getting near them at crawling speeds"
You need to put alot more consideration into balance instead of just putting together a bunch of stats that might make sense for the race, as I've said before there is a huge line between the backstory and gameplay.
edit
Values like -3 endurance show that you've put next to no thought into the balance of this, odd endurance and agility are worthless so -3 is effectively -4 if you max it.
And your poll is biased in that it does not offer a "I dislike this suggestion" rather it just lets you say you don't agree with the concept at all, or you do agree.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:15:40 am by Delamore »

skejwen

• BBS AKBAR!
    • Brahmins rox
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:38:13 am »

True words - making character being unable to perform some tasks due to stats (like not being able to talk with npcs - that is really rpigish ;), and limiting access to certain perks) is not good way...

So - has engine hard code limits to stats that it can only be from range of 1 to 10?

If not then Here goes SPECIAL from Fo:T for ghouls and super mutants (green values are starting stats):

Ghouls:
S PECIAL
| 1-3-8 |4-8-13 |1-5-10 |1-4-10 |2-6-10 |1-4-6 |5-7-12 |
Rad resistance: 40%, Poison Resistance - 10%

Super Mutants:
S PECIAL
| 5-8-13 |1-5-11 |4-6-11 |1-5-10 |1-3-8 |1-3-8 |1-5-10 |
Rad resistance: 20%, Poison Resistance - 20%, Damage Resistance - 25%

Both races got Perks for every 4th level, and had access to racial traits/perks...
"Moo-OooooOO! MoMoo.. MmmmoOoo.. Moo!", translate from brahmin to English: "Two things are infinite - brahmin shit and human stupidity! - Brahminstein"

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 10:36:23 am »

Ghouls and Mutants with CH 10 and IN 10 ?
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 12:00:40 pm »

It looks like it was done in favor of balance.

skejwen

• BBS AKBAR!
    • Brahmins rox
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 12:31:07 pm »

Why not, since they are derivatives from humans (via mutation) they shouldn't fall long away from their origin...

Forcing someone to roleplay character who is ugly as fuck and has intelligence of vegetable isn't good idea. This simplifies their role only to one purpose (sniper and so called "tank"). Doesn't those races had leaders? Thinkers, scientists, doctors, mechanics?

Wanna super mutant, or ghoul with CH 10 and IN 10? Sure why not, but he wont be fighter at all...

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 12:33:25 pm »

The masters lieutenant was pretty smart too.

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
Re: Wanna play as a mutant or a ghoul?
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 09:40:23 pm »

And Marcus.

Y'know, I don't think I'd even put Harry as low as 1 Intelligence.

He may seem pretty dumb but he could be 1-3 Intelligence for all we know (like when you play a low Intelligence character in Fallout 1/2).
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 11:40:28 pm »

I was kind of amazed when I started playing this that the Devs hadn't made this an option. it would add a ton of variety to the game, and lets face it..."encounters" are few and far between. Caveat: Unless you like rats.

Florek

• Bang Bang Smash
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 11:50:29 pm »

Too high bonus and punish. +9, and -9 is to extremism. +7/-7 look better, imho.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.546 seconds with 30 queries.