"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 13, 2024, 05:00:07 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lock? Lock?! Give me Padlock!  (Read 5908 times)

Gatling

• Violent Pacifist.
Lock? Lock?! Give me Padlock!
« on: November 03, 2010, 01:48:51 am »

Hmm, been looking at Lockpickers (what seems like a totally useless skill to master this present wipe), and one of the large disadvantages of the lock-making system is the Requirement to use a key to open it.  This sadly negates one of the (supposed) benefits of using these: having untouchable stuff in a location unless they lockpick it.  All someone has to do is kill you on your way to/from it and if its the same location, they may find it with the key.

Why no padlocks too?  You can set a 4-digit code (or however many you want, it does not really matter to me), or get a randomized one listed in the padlocks description (giving you the chance to write it down/memorized it before using it on a container object).  No more fuckin' worrying about thieve stealing your keys, or dying just after getting into your stash.  The advantage being they cannot get into it unless they lockpick it, or get the code.  Maybe there can be some tools (*GASP!* Electronic Lockpicks anyone?  8) ), to let lockpickers try and get hints or tries to discover the code, with the device relaying hints/code itself to them.  

Anyway, discuss...  and hopefully this is something of a new idea.

Edit: Ok, I was high upon creation of the thread, the name makes little sense. The idea is still sound, though, so hush.  :P
And now...
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."- Rorschach
"It's what people know about themselves inside... that makes them afraid." -The Stranger

Spotty

• Wuff Wuff!!!
    • Crazy 88
Re: Lock? Lock?! Give me Padlock!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:10:28 am »

I like the idea. A padlock offers solo and small groups of friends a shared locker. Also people playing with 2 chars can benefit. No more stashing gear behind tree to fastlog to other char to get the stuff.
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/
img19/4053/c88.png
"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."
- Niccolo Machiavelli -

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:17:13 am »

Yes, this wipe, with cars not even being see-able (which is a good thing, though), lockpick just isn't that important unless you, hypothetically, locked your keys in your trunk. That's really the only use it has in player-interaction, besides jobs in Glow/broken ship.

Yes, a 4 (or more to prevent guessing) digit code sounds great, having to get a key every time you want to open something is quite irritating, and almost defeats the point. You could easily just type in the code as a pop-up comes where you simply type in the 4 digits, to be able to use the container, after clicking it.

I do like how they made it a useful skill in the Glow and the broken ship quests, but from what was said in other topics, you need 300% skill + Lockpicks to be able to crack the item lockers. Is any normal character going to have 300% Lockpick?

Here's some of my ideas:

1. The lockpick skill need to be changed so that builds can actually have a good chance to pick a lock and still have a good combat skill. It wouldn't change power-builds that will never settle for average, but for the average build, this could help prevent an alt.

2.  Players should be able to die and re-spawn with keys for storage containers (car keys excluded, still should be a risk), so that a player can carry it around with them for convenience, and not just store it. Right now, for storage lockers, keys are either useless or very inconvenient; if you even have a situation that you use a lock for a container, having to have a safe place to put the key is, once again, irritating and time-consuming.

3. Keys should be labeled with more than just a key-number. It should say on the key whether it is for a vehicle or a locker.

4. Also, lockpickers should be able to put locks back on car trunks after they successfully lockpicked the trunk.

5. Ability to have a key copied should be easier and should be available in multiple places.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:01:17 am by Dishonest Abe »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Mr Feltzer

• FOnline: Australia
    • The Core Gaming Australia's Website
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:45:30 am »

Yeah I Remember something similar suggested a Long while Back. Im Lovin it. :P
Founder of Fallout Online Australia

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:56 am »

I like the idea, good suggestion.
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

avv

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:52:20 pm »

Only if we can torture the padlock code out of other chars.

"Tell me or I cripple your legs"
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:50 pm »

great ideea, was suggested before, and i loooove it
can this be implemented?

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 07:08:21 pm »

Of-frigging-course!

Yeah, it was suggested a few times already, also by me. Padlock is a must have.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 07:32:21 pm »

Good idea. That would be great on cars and hotel rooms.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

vilaz

• #1 Cat's Paw Fan!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 07:48:21 pm »

but standard locks should stay as they are? yea?

I think 6 digits should be fine, if You are using high lockpicking (or maybe science) You can find out some of those numbers. Not necessarily in right order or all of them at once. :]
Polskie Pustkowia http://forum.newfmc.pl

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 11:15:24 pm »

I think 6 digits should be fine, if You are using high lockpicking (or maybe science) You can find out some of those numbers. Not necessarily in right order or all of them at once. :]
Maybe there should be 2 versions of padlocks?
Another got 4 digits and better one got 6 digits?
And they can used for hotel rooms, cars, containers anything :D

wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:47:27 am »

So... You get this lock, put it on a box, relog to an alt and get the items from the box?

...or put this lock on a hotel room, come back 1h later just to find a empty room because someone got lucky?

You think that the chance to brutforce a 4 number code is 1:10000? Think again (the key world is birthday paradox).

I don't like it.
Give an idiot a carrot and he'll cut himself.

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 05:18:20 pm »

wezu - gotdammit, padlock was suggested as an alternative Nobody said that ordinary locks are supposed to be deleted! *I* would like to see sth like this (the lower - the better and harder to make)

lock
padlock
advanced lock
advaced padlock (more digits)
fingerprint lock (no key - openable only by the first person that used the locker/car after the lock was put on. (And that's where the electronic lockpick comes in!)

I even suggested this some time ago. Suprisingly many people dismissed the whole idea only because in their opinion the last, digital lock was too high-tech. But honestly - simply adding ONE padlock would make me happy ;]

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:01 pm »

Yeah that fingerprint lock sounds good and it help to prevent alts.
It can used just original fingerprint lock maker/buyer.

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 10:06:43 pm »

Interesting, hypothetically, if we'd implement a fingerprint lock I'd like to see teh ability to cut fingers off of dead people just to get at the lock.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.