"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 01, 2024, 05:24:34 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ability to make caps? YES!!!  (Read 3529 times)

JovankaB

Re: ability to make caps? YES!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 05:31:47 pm »

I agree. We use caps on most live actions and they are lot of fun. They make noise to lure thieves, big amounts are extremely impractical to handle, lot of fun appears when someone brings "forged" caps and especially they feel so much post-apo.

I understand the appeal they have in LARPs.
But in FOnline they don't make noise, big amouts are extremely practical to handle and they can't be forged.

Also I think in the wasteland nobody would use bottle caps as money because they have no real use besides that it's a small piece of cheap metal.

You meet someone on desert:
- Hey, nice pistol, how about I give you this bag of 300 bottle caps for it!
- ? ? ?
- What, you haven't heard? It's official wasteland money!
- Get out of here conman (or I shoot you).

That's how it would be in post-apo wasteland IMHO :) (if you would actually take a minute to think about it)

And the idea that "technology to produce bottle caps has been lost" is ridiculous too, if people were actually accepting them, that would be the first thing to re-invent on wasteland.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:38:13 pm by JovankaB »
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 06:02:37 pm »

Remove caps completely.
Trade only with stuff of value (ammo, meds, gecko pelts, food etc.)
Change quests/professions to accepts certain items instead of caps e.g. let's say you have to bring 150 SEC to get EW1 profession, 100 bottles of booze to hire a mercenary, or bring 5000 brahmin hides to buy a bunker.  ::)
That's the true wasteland way.

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 08:54:03 pm »

Caps or coins, it's all the same thing really. They're also not needed as much as people seem to think. Travel to any vendor in the entire waste and when you speak to him take note of what it says in the trade window. It says barter not buy or purchase. Bartering is trading goods in exchange for other goods of equal or lesser value. I never understood why everyone was so obsessed with vendors having caps.

If your smart and really want to have caps there are ways you can find them even when the server is full of players. As a crafter I used to make a fortune crafting ammo and selling it to other players. Town Control offers caps to the winner. If you travel to the ungaurded towns you can almost always find caps at the vendors. If what your really trying to say here is that you cant easily find caps in NCR or you cant get them without risking something, then I understand.

I think a better suggestion would be to add more paying jobs to the wasteland. I remember something about bounty's being handed out to willing hunters. Is that still a feature in 2238?
If it is then make it worth someones time and effort to go and hunt these bounty's. We have a system for keeping track of peoples stats like kills and deaths. Is there some way to use these records in unison with bounty's? Base the price on his head by how many people he's killed.

I personally miss the caravan jobs. I've always wanted to be a guard on one of these caravans and be jumped by a group of players on my way to San Fran. Say for instance you show up at Far Go wearing a leather jacket and carrying a shotgun. If I was the employer I would think to myself that this guy might be able to absorb some bullets while my caravan makes a run for it. I would pay him a decent but small wage for his time, say 1000 caps. If I show up wearing combat armor and wielding a sniper rifle at lvl21 I would expect to be taken a bit more serious. Ok this guy looks like a tough bastard, Ill pay you 3k. These prices are just an example of course but you get the idea.

On the other side of the coin. I would like to see raiders, slavers, and other evil minded organizations offering caps to anyone willing to raid these caravans as they travel across the wastes. Isn't that how they get all their gear anyway, why not let us do the work for a small fee and maybe a share in the loot. Talk to Mr. Raiderwhatshisface and he tells you about a few caravans with some info on each to help you determine the difficulty of each. You choose the one you want to tackle alone if your strong enough or with a group and your comensated accordingly.

Crafting caps seems like a lazy solution to the problem and I disagree with it completely. It doesn't offer anything to the waste other than another excuse to sit in front of a bench. I'm obviously not a developer but if I was I wouldnt want my new players sitting at a bench instead of exploring and getting aquainted with a harsh world thats so full of potential.

P.S. I realize caravans are being discussed in another thread here but it seemed relevant to this one as well. Apologies if posting the suggestion here was a mistake
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:56:53 pm by Tyler »
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 02:12:37 am »

more paying jobs is another great solution! and would be fun lol but i think the only people that think that caps are fine as they are are prolly already rich in game...im a newer player and i cant get caps...so i cant buy mercs or cars and i would also rather have caps then trade all my crafted items for another usless item that is going to waigh me down or somthing...all im saying is there needs to be more caps in circulation lol
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 04:08:48 am »

Well if you really want them that bad then I guess there is no other solution for you. As far as being rich already, well I didnt play much this season and I'm not so rich I just think caps are a bit over rated.

Frenchy

• TSAR
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 08:33:54 am »

I votes for Euro and Dollars  ::) !!! ...
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.