"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 11:09:36 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New ways of leveling  (Read 5097 times)

New ways of leveling
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:37:32 am »

I thought leveling was a problem, because it's really boring. And I thought we should avoid it by beginning lvl21. But I was wrong.

I figured out the leveling wasn't the problem. The problem is that currently, the leveling means using non massively multiplayers gameplay mechanics, like PvE or quests.

There is no point to remove PvE or quests become some players like it, but we should find new ways of leveling, more in accord with a MMOG.

Some examples of leveling and experience system in other games :
EVE Online: Character advancement is accomplished through the activation of skill training kits. Once a training kit is utilized, a certain period of time must elapse before training is complete and the skill is functional. The activation time required is measured in real time and training continues regardless of whether or not a player is connected to the game. The training time needed for skills may range from less than an hour to several days, depending on the type and complexity of the skill.

Ultima Online: You gain XP by using your skills. You don't have to kill a creature to gain XP, just hitting it is enough. The good point with it is that it can be easily applied to PvP (but must be balanced, hitting a lower level shouldn't make you gain XP) and make the XP sharing easier.

A NWN2 server I was on: Role Play communication give you experience ! If you use the RP channel, you gain XP. It's a really cool system for non combative characters. But it's kinda hard to avoid system abuses. The communication have to make you win just a little XP, making combat more interesting for those who would abuse RP XP system.

An article about the 3 main leveling systems : http://word-of-shadow.blogspot.com/2008/05/best-rpg-leveling-system.html

------------------------

I don't think just changing the leveling system would be enough. We could keep it just as it is because we want FOnline:2238 to stay a little faithful to Fallout2.

But we need to think about new ways to level, more in accord with Massively Multiplayers gameplay mechanics.

Some ideas ?

Praise Abitbol, Praise HIM !

Winston Wolf

• Guardian
    • The Guardians
Re: New ways of leveling
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:17 am »

The devs are going to implent other ways to level for sure, don't worry.

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 11:45:35 am »

At least it would be nice if it was viable to lvl multiplayer PvE, not like currently - who kills gets the exp.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:49:09 am »

This is FOnline not ultima online (or i hope so..)
Default leveling in FOnline is good.

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:51:46 am »

Actual PvE is fine. There are other things which are more important atm.
There is nothing as demotivating as the Game Masters

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 11:59:09 am »

There is hardly something more ironic about FOnline 2238, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game, than that the best way to level up is to do it alone, preferrably hiding from other people.

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:00:32 pm »

Multiplayer don't have to mean multiplayer getting experience.
Multiplayer means that you can meet other real players here.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 12:09:59 pm »

Multiplayer don't have to mean multiplayer getting experience.
Multiplayer means that you can meet other real players here.
Yes but why should it stay as it is ? Why can't we be innovative ? You're incredibly conservative.

The devs are going to implent other ways to level for sure, don't worry.

I hope so, but Beta means also suggestions. It's really not a problem to talk about it and try to find innovative ideas.

Praise Abitbol, Praise HIM !

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 12:12:22 pm »

Yes but why should it stay as it is ? Why can't we be innovative ? You're incredibly conservative.

I hope so, but Beta means also suggestions. It's really not a problem to talk about it and try to find innovative ideas.
I have nothing to your suggestion except that there are more important things now to implement or repair.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:12:43 pm »

At least it would be nice if it was viable to lvl multiplayer PvE, not like currently - who kills gets the exp.

Don't worry ! :p Devs already said a shared-XP system is needed in FOnline, so it's on their (Huge, but still) to-do list.

@Zak : I've been reading the article you linked in the first post, and the time-based system is quite interesting imo. However, it would be a big change to FOnline, and would maybe bring the game too far from original Fallout 1 & 2 :/

@Pandemon, if you have nothing to say, stop posting. Kthxbye
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Nyan

• Teehee.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:58 pm »

Exp for roleplaying?

Jolly good.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 12:32:21 pm »

shared exp sounds good, but anything else fail :P
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »

Since when did Nyan get back? Awesome.

I think the level system does need rethinking. I can see why 21 was chosen, but it also seems like a pretty severe cutoff. That once you've hit 21, that's it, your character can't evolve any more. I guess earnable upgrades would help. Vault City Inoculations, etc.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 04:29:27 pm »

XP for combat MISSIONS would be cool, if you're in a NPC faction, like BoS, Enclave or Rangers/Raiders.
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 05:41:07 pm »

Leveling over quests HAS to be improved. Who the heck apart from zealoteous roleplayer would do a quest that needs about 30 minutes and rewards you with 300 xp while you can go killing floats and cents and get about 5-10k xp (dependant on what build/support/lucky) in the same ammount of time.
I give a fuck.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 21 queries.