"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • March 28, 2024, 05:46:04 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FOnline: 2238 under MAC OS X  (Read 34887 times)

FOnline: 2238 under MAC OS X
« on: July 27, 2010, 02:33:39 pm »

I play for about a week. Since today, only at home, because in my workplace we work on Macs. I was looking for a way to launch the game on my Mac, but everyone said its impossible. Of course, I could install Windows on my machine, but I have to have my OS X open all the time, because my boss likes to check what we are doing, from time to time.
After long, long search i finally found a way to play on my Mac in OS X, so I want to share it with other Mac users. Hope it works for you too.

(I'm on an Intel machine, so probably it may not work on PowerPC machines. But it never hurts to check.)

Code: [Select]
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ This is an application which enables Windows programs to run in OS X. You have to get the app, one way or another. Install the application and run it.

2. Download FOnline client, and run it. Since you have CrossOver installed and running, it should automatically detect Windows app. Install FOnline (installer will look exactly the same as in Windows).

3. Finder window will probably pop up with the Launcher.exe. If the Launcher works for you - great. But it didn't work for me. If you have problems launching Launcher - like me - go to folder where FOnline is installed.

4. Launch Updater.exe. If it works for you - great. But it didn't work for me. If your Updater won't work - copy FOnline folder to a pendrive and find someone with PC. Updater.exe should work well on Windows :) Update your game and go back to a Mac. Copy FOnline folder to the same place you've installed it.

5. Launch FOnline.exe.

Now this worked for me, I am playing FOnline on my Mac, in OS X. I can easily hide my window if i see my boss :D
If you need to configure your FO and the launcher won't work, you can launch FOConfig.exe - of course with CrossOver running.
Since I'm not a Mac Expert - I cannot help you much if this way won't work for you. But if it works - great, see you in the Wastelands :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:15:49 pm by Izual »

Marszalek

• Param Pam Pam ...
Re: Launching FOnline on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:36:50 pm »

Hooray for Fonline on Mac !
-:-:- Nie rozumiem jak można czegoś nie rozumieć -:-:-

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Re: Launching FOnline on a Mac
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:56:32 pm »

Thanks! Sticky :P
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
Re: FOnline: 2238 under MAX OS X
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:02:23 pm »

CrossOver is commercial and somewhat upgraded Wine, so if you want to save some money, you can try just Wine:
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:06:52 pm »

Since Wine refused to work for me - I used CrossOver, you can find older versions cheap and still will do.

lehytek

• Opinionated albinoid
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 05:25:01 am »

Wine refused to work for me

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=6786.msg58713#msg58713

Thanks! Sticky :P
CrossOver is commercial

Hey Izual, why don't you go to CodeWeavers and tell them you're advertising their product on this forum? If they'll give a damn, they might give you some bingedrink money.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:41:00 am by lehytek »
I saw your post, I had to LOL really hard. Hilarious.  8) Too bad they removed it, don't know why, it was not offensive to anyone.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Re: FOnline: 2238 under MAC OS X
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 09:56:20 am »

If you have a free alternative, I'll be happy to put it instead.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Lacan

• [TSAR]Sol & [TSAR]Ketur
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 02:05:14 am »

Thanks for your work !

Using Crossover, i did manage to make it work.

A few differences here though, so if you're having trouble (starting Fonline.exe does nothing), maybe this can help :

[i'm using Mac os X leopard and i'm a total noob at it.]

+The installation is fine, just do ''open...'' then choose the installer.

+Then I had to copy the folder Crossover created to put it somewhere else, so i could open the files in the folder using the ''open...'' command.

To have CrossOver show the folder, you have to go to ''manage Bottles'', then to advanced, then ''Open C: drive in finder''.

+Then copy the folder somewhere on your drive.

Now, with this technic apparently, the updater works. I found out about that later so maybe you just need to run it with crossover then start the game.

+ But I had to do a manual update, using a updated folder of fonline. Here are the files you have to copy to update the game, basically all .dat files (Thanks AhBobsaget) :

baldude
cablack
cadesert
CRITTER
FACTION
faction001
faction002
faction003
faction004
faction005
faction006
faction007
faction008
FONLINE
fonline001
fonline002
khancrit
longhairdude
MASTER
othercrit
unarmedcass
vaultboy

and fonline.exe.

At this point, the game was starting but i would get an Error on start.

+Then, one last thing :

Copy all d3dxxx.dll you can find in up-to-date fonline folder to your new fonline folder.

It resolved the last problems i was having.

Since it was a pain for me, i thought i'd put up all the info that was useful to me in here, maybe it'll help other folks. Oh and now the updater works.

Many thanks to Misiolap, a true Wine Warrior.

Good luck !
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 12:19:45 am »

I had a problem with wine, after several logins, game tells me to wait 10 minutes(relogin timeout) no matter how long I waited. I got rid of that only re-installing wine and then it happened again.

Lacan

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:32:38 am »

This would happen to me even using windows.

I had to go back to the last char i used, log out on worldmap, then it would work... Sounds random maybe )

Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:36:21 pm »

This would happen to me even using windows.

I had to go back to the last char i used, log out on worldmap, then it would work... Sounds random maybe )

This is because some maps don't allow logging out on them, and thus your character stays there for the length of the server life (logged out on restart), unless you of course do this.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 04:57:42 pm »

I play under MAC OS - everything works perfectly, with the help of crossover 9.1, but there is one problem ... when I'm scrolling the screen, the screen flickers constantly. As if there were no sources of light. However, if the action takes place during the day everything is normal.

Lacan

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:48 pm »

after last wipe (30/08/10), game has become harder to run using Wine.

I use crossover on MAC and the game is unplayable because of graphical glitches. I hear users on Linux have graphical glitches but it's playable.

Anyone else experiences new problems with Fonline since the wipe ?
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 05:00:15 pm »

Yes I play and after a wipe on the MAC. Distortion is almost the same as in Win version so its playable 8) ... I use MAC 10.6.4 and Crossover 9.1

Lacan

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 05:02:05 pm »

Yea, updating to crossover 9.1 (wine 1.2) made the game playable for me.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.