"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 03, 2024, 07:28:40 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dialog competition  (Read 26291 times)

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
Re: Dialog competition
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 03:41:30 am »

Yeah, this used to bother me, but it's an MMO. Most people are in for the xp and the wasteland is harsh.

I think for most MMO's this would be the case, but the fact that many of us are still here after almost a year proves that either we just enjoy killing everyone we see or that we actually enjoy the atmosphere and the characters of the Fallout universe. While the former may be the case for some, the latter definitely plays a huge part of this game. But yes, this game does still need more intriguing characters. Hopefully through this contest, we'll get some people who are not only willing to make quests, but to also contribute just to the character dialogues that don't give you anything but entertainment.

EDIT: Question. When submitting a quest, do we specify which NPC it belongs to in the dialogue editor, or do we just specify once it is submitted?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:48:07 am by Gunduz »
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 09:55:41 am »

"Avoid pop-culture references."
So you want dialog that is nothing like the original fallout text? That game was one big pop culture reference, pretty much every character name/dialog/item description/special encounter was a reference to a movie, game or event.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_cultural_references
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:20:53 am by Roachor »

Winston Wolf

• Guardian
    • The Guardians
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 09:57:17 am »

"Avoid pop-culture references."
So you want dialog that is nothing like the original fallout text? That game was one big pop culture reference, pretty much every character name/dialog/item description/special encounter was a reference to a movie, game or event.

Which was a main point of criticism at Fallout 2.
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 10:24:32 am »

Which was a main point of criticism at Fallout 2.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_cultural_references

Criticism from who? It already had a bunch, the entire game is just a hodgepodge of references to other things. I think it was one of it's strongest points.

Winston Wolf

• Guardian
    • The Guardians
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 10:29:06 am »

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_cultural_references

Criticism from who? It already had a bunch, the entire game is just a hodgepodge of references to other things. I think it was one of it's strongest points.

From the community. Fallout 1 was a great game. Fallout 2 in contrast was very good too, but often criticized for his references. I guess the developers want to avoid that FOnline is crowded by pop-culture references like Fallout 2 was.
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 10:35:19 am »

And by often criticized you mean no one? I can't find anything but praise for them and not a single reviewer had that as a negative. I'm really starting to think you're just trolling me, if you're going to make broad statements back them up with facts.

Winston Wolf

• Guardian
    • The Guardians
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 10:43:34 am »

And by often criticized you mean no one? I can't find anything but praise for them and not a single reviewer had that as a negative. I'm really starting to think you're just trolling me, if you're going to make broad statements back them up with facts.

Shall I search every NMA, FalloutNow! and Duck & Cover post for you? There surely are many people who criticized Fallout 2 for his references, believe mo or not...

JovankaB

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 10:53:10 am »

How about you simply follow the devs suggestion? The point is to find people who can write quests with interesting plot and who have good writing style, not to find people who need to show the world how smart and funny they think they are. And putting some pop-culture references is a just a cheap way to pretend to be smarter than in reality (and give the player an illusion that he is smart too, because he understood writer's very smart reference to Star Wars and Godzilla).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:13:58 am by JovankaB »
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 05:32:11 pm »

How about you simply follow the devs suggestion? The point is to find people who can write quests with interesting plot and who have good writing style, not to find people who need to show the world how smart and funny they think they are. And putting some pop-culture references is a just a cheap way to pretend to be smarter than in reality (and give the player an illusion that he is smart too, because he understood writer's very smart reference to Star Wars and Godzilla).

Referencing things is a comedic tool and a way to pay homage to things that influenced the game. I agree that most of the people writing for this contest wouldn't be able to do it properly as it has to be subtle to be effective but jov it's not surprising you don't understand it since you'd have to know where the references come from. It's not to give the player the "illusion of being smart". Either way you are basically saying that the original fallouts were stupid for having references when that was what made the writing so amazing. For a game made by fallout fans I find it weird that you completely disregard the style of writing and ask people to create new dialog that leaves out the games most prominent style.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 05:46:02 pm »

Fallout 2 has overdone pop-culture reference and everyone agrees on that. If you don't know about it, then you know nothing about the community.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:47:55 pm by Lexx »
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 05:57:12 pm »

Fallout 2 has overdone pop-culture reference and everyone agrees on that. If you don't, then you know nothing about the community.

so if you didn't like the style of the games why are you even bothering? As for the "community" who cares what some of the fanbase (people on NMA?) thinks, they didn't make the game and probably don't know enough to appreciate the references. The people who made fallout thought that was the way to go and this is a fanmod to the original and should follow the same style. I mean of course europeans aren't going to understand a lot of the references but its not like the game was meant them, europe was always a secondary market. If you aren't even going to try to be like the original then whats the point?

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 06:26:57 pm »

Thats the best bullshit I've read in weeks.
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 07:32:05 pm »

Thats the best bullshit I've read in weeks.

That doesn't bode well for the dialog submissions. You should drop the pretenses of it being a fallout game if you're going to butcher it based on what you think fallout should be like.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:34:46 pm by Roachor »

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »

Let's change the rules then: Everyone has to add at least one pop culture reference in their dialogue, else it will not be true to a Fallout game and therefore bad.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 09:53:57 pm »

Quote from: Roachor
As for the "community" who cares what some of the fanbase (people on NMA?) thinks, they didn't make the game and probably don't know enough to appreciate the references.

That this game is created by some members of the same community Lexx is speeking of is probably beyond your reach?
And now please let it be, don't crash this thread here with this stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.