"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • October 06, 2024, 01:25:23 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Players' ability to modify their environment  (Read 2586 times)

Players' ability to modify their environment
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:30:31 pm »

I think the future of fonline2238 lies in the slow evolution of the Wasteland map.

Gosthack once said it would be possible if they manage to implement "dynamic objects" in the game engine.
He said it would be then possible to give the ability to players to create new cities or to alter existing ones by extension/destruction.

Well, in that way, everything can be imagined to stimulate big goals and develop a kind of "history" of the wasteland which is impossible atm because there is no evolution at all.

What do you say?

TTTLA for a New World Order

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
Re: Players' ability to modify their environment
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:34:16 pm »

I think we'd end up with a scenery much like the one seen in the future war sequences of the Terminator movies ;D

Enzo

• Homeless wastelander
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 05:02:12 pm »

He said it would be then possible to give the ability to players to create new cities or to alter existing ones by extension/destruction.

The part about the destruction is crazy idea... maybe you have forgotten, but there are tons of stupid kids, which have fun player-killing, suicide-bombing, etc...
What do you think will happen, if you give them the possibility to destroy buldings, environment or even whole cities? This would lead to a bitter end, when there is wasteland really everywhere...

So I have positive feelings for building new villages or towns and other locations... but have definitive "NO" for destruction possible by any player...
Enzo Wolf
former President of Fenix Trading company
former Trading counsellor of former Gray Rock village :D

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »

The part about the destruction is crazy idea... maybe you have forgotten, but there are tons of stupid kids, which have fun player-killing, suicide-bombing, etc...
What do you think will happen, if you give them the possibility to destroy buldings, environment or even whole cities? This would lead to a bitter end, when there is wasteland really everywhere...

So I have positive feelings for building new villages or towns and other locations... but have definitive "NO" for destruction possible by any player...

Destruction? I wouldn't mind it, at least, not on conventional way, or Wasteland is screwed for sure.

However, how will the dynamic objects look like? I just hope, they wouldn't have polygons, because the Fallout frame artwork is done with high resolution, saves the system resources and look good.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 07:00:36 pm »

Ok, so let's say don't touch to the existing ones.

Let's say the only possibility would be to create and destroy new ones.

You have to understand that the conditions to build (and destroy) a city will have to be a very long process.

For example, it will begin with a tent, than a bigger tent, than 3 tents in a same area, than some very basic buildings and so on.
When a sufficient size is reached some NPC will appear...

Conditions to destroy or find such places would have to be thought of and tested carefully too.

As for the "dynamic object", as far as I understood, it's not linked to the object itself, it's linked to the program.
I mean those future little towns would be made of existing models => Kind of a classic tent that can evolve.
TTTLA for a New World Order

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 07:06:02 pm »

I would love this but you got the whole lil sadistic kids running around with power fucking everything....

Whoever starts the village should be able to manage whether not he wants anyone to see it because of this.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 07:10:06 pm »

I would love this but you got the whole lil sadistic kids running around with power fucking everything....

Whoever starts the village should be able to manage whether not he wants anyone to see it because of this.

then its just a base, not a town

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 07:13:23 pm »

now comeon people we are talking bout a city not a tent i think you shuld get a posibal rand inc when you go over it but i do like the idea of the one made can change it

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 07:15:51 pm »

then its just a base, not a town
I MEANT:  They should be able to manage "when" people can see their town.

This means everyone can when they allow it and think the town is ready for the obviously inevitable Powabuild Raid of Rape and Destruction.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

avv

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 08:00:43 pm »

Well unsafe towns show us how much people care about upholding peace and order. But that's just because those who want peace aren't rewarded enough. So before we start building our own cities we should find a ways and reasons to maintain order without npc guards.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 08:06:08 pm »

that is a nice thought but like mike sead ther are some people that don't want peace and i think that is why they want player gards to help with that problum

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 08:20:34 pm »

But that's just because those who want peace aren't rewarded enough.

Listen to this man. He speaketh the truth.

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 11:33:35 am »

yeah, people who want peace in the current FOnline have a high risk/low, or no reward, hopefully this will change.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

John.Metzger

• Hey Joe.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 03:12:00 pm »

yeah, people who want peace in the current FOnline have a high risk/low, or no reward, hopefully this will change.

truth..  :P
i created a sneak 300% alt to get a piece of the peace cake.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:13:52 pm by John.Metzger »
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 01:37:22 pm »

Well if u make it so buildings can also be repair, so even if buildings can be destroyed its not something bad. Plus u also need to make buildings and towns defenderable, I see that there are auto-turrets ingame, so this could be used as town defence. Another mechanic need to be inplace is sucide bombers going in and destroying buildings, there should be sensors droids that roam around sniffing out these scums and killing them on sight.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.