"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:24:24 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Gatling Laser  (Read 2508 times)

The Gatling Laser
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:47:01 pm »

Before I start.
I'm fully aware that the gatling laser isn't meant to be ingame at the current time. But this topic is meant to discuss how the gatling laser could
be added in the future as a proper weapon.

Reason? Simple, the Gatling laser is an Energy Weapon, Many people know that currently Energy Weapon users are rather limited in their choise of weaponry. A gatling laser would make the Energy Weapons skill allot more interresting. It would also add new possibility for builds to be used in PvP or Pve.

Let's take a look at the Gatling Laser, we see a weapon with a seemingly low ammo capacity but with great damage. But things aren't so good as they seem.
The Gatling Laser uses the most expensive ammo ingame, the MFC. And being a gatling laser, it shoots lasers! The problem about this is simple, most armors ingame have high resistance against laser, especially the most used armor in pvp that is in the game, Metal armor (all variants) This wrecks the gatling laser his effectivness.
But this is a problem that can be solved.

It's clear the Gatling laser needs a buff. The first and most obvious thing is the ammo it uses, MFC. This is the most expensive ammo ingame people ask high prices for it, as it is hard to craft. This afcoarse is a wall for the Gatling Laser to be used properly, a wall that can be broken. How? simple, the ammo this weapon uses could be changed to yes, small energy cells! With this change the Gatling Laser suddenly becomes a bit more interresting to use. But still, it is far more practical to use different weapons as most Armor has huge resistance against Laser.

This makes me come to the second possible change, the ammo capacity and ammo shot per burst. Afcoarse those 10 rounds shot by the Gatling Laser won't do allot of damage against proper armor. and wouldn't even scratch Metal armor. But if we would double the ammo usage from the Gatling Laser and double it's ammo capacity, suddenly the Gatling Laser would pack a far bigger punch. Sure it will still be of limited use against metal armor.

This makes me come to my third point. The weapon perk. Currently the Gatling Laser has the long range perk. But isn't the Gatling Laser an advanced piece of weaponry that is difficult to handle? instead of the long range perk this weapon should receive the knockback perk. Why you ask me? The Gatling Laser should be seen as a powerfull weapon (No suprise many armors have high resistance against it) That's why it should receive the knockback perk to show it's true power. "This weapon is capable of bursting Lasers Powerfull enough to knock you off your feet, litteraly" This would make the Gatling Laser Truly an interresting weapon to use on the field.

Such changes however should have it drawbacks. Afcoarse the Gatling Laser is an advanced piece of weaponry, and should require high maintenance. Thus the det% rate should be high. Also, the Gatling Laser should be hard to aquire. Only by defeating an enclave patrol, or by buying it from the enclave itself. The enclave should also offer services to repair the Gatling Laser to it's members. For a price afcoarse.

Just my 2caps about the Gatling Laser.
GroeneAppel

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
Re: The Gatling Laser
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:14:20 pm »

I think its should be in discussion section but ok...

Naaaaaaaaah. Somehow Id see bluesuit pkers with gatling laser and also it would own in every PvE I think theres a reason why is not in the game, too powerfull, miniguns as well if you ask me...
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:20:27 pm »

Well if really gatling laser is modified, it's good ideas, but:
Knockback perk? Blah. For laser ? Doesn't sound good to me, it's better idea to give it a perk like penetrate (I don't think there is a perk to lower DR, but if there is one, we need this one). Also, it's suppose to be one of better weapons, so if it could have 2 perk (long range AND penetrate).
I agree for the number of ammo shot per burst, burst of 20/25 (maybe with little better damage too?) would be good (with the ammo capacity corresponding, or maybe an other burst than before?).
Maybe reduce the AP cost could be usefull too?
But finally... If this weapon have all of this, leave it using MFC. Better weapons are always a waste of expansive ammo!

Anyway I think all of this is pointless since as far as i remember, dev don't want this IG. To add other weapon to energy, add turbo plasma/pulse ;p
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:23:39 pm »

I think its should be in discussion section but ok...

Naaaaaaaaah. Somehow Id see bluesuit pkers with gatling laser and also it would own in every PvE I think theres a reason why is not in the game, too powerfull, miniguns as well if you ask me...
Too powerful? This forum bullshit is like a cancer that really starts to kill me. You ever wielded one? So wait wait wait... You have problems against gatling laser because its from the ''notorious minigun family''? Do you know, it deals crappy damage compared to avenger/normal minigun (ESPECIALLY on MA/Teslas) and eats TONS of MFCs? 1 burst - 10 mfcs = well, 50 to 200 damage. That depends on range and so on. With 10 MFCs and laser/plasma rifle you can deal like 500 to 1000 damage lol... And you got nothing against plasma and laser rifles? Bloody stereotype ''Minigun = PK weapon = Bad''.
Personally, as ive said in alot other topics alot times, i think gatling laser should be in-game. And as ive said in other places, il say the same here: imo it needs its damage, well, maybe bit nerfed, but make it eat SECs. I think it would be broken if it'd use MFCs cause against MA+ armors it would be quite useless.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:28:15 pm by Quentin Lang »
I give a fuck.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:13:22 pm »

Hey, wait, while we are talking about things that gonna never happen because not IG, I have more wishes!

- The APA MKII is actually heavier than the regular APA (41vs46), and the description : This powered armor appears to be composed of entirely of lightweight ceramic composites rather than the usual combination of metal and ceramic plates.
It should weight LESS !!!
-Vindicator have less range than avenger, but don't deal more damage on an armored target! Give it Penetrate Perk for Great Justice (or give it to 4.7mm caseless, or increase the DR modifier, or even increase damage deal) !!!
-You've make a sniper of my bozar (T.T) give us back the ultimate bursting bozar! (but well I guess you won't, so at least improve vindicator to have a real super high tier weapon for BG, we need it in the pre wipe madness!)
-Make improved flamer tier 3 weapon, but make it deal 3X MORE DAMAGE! Ultimate close weapon, perfect to clean buildings of this bloody psycho camper (even if I am one of them)!

(Yeah I know I am crazy, but I want these ideas be implemanted!)

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:18:04 pm »

-You've make a sniper of my bozar (T.T)

It was intended to be like this in Fallout 2. If it was a Big Gun back then, it's only because devs were not able to do what they wanted (Time/budget limit, etc...?).
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:24:13 pm »

It was intended to be like this in Fallout 2. If it was a Big Gun back then, it's only because devs were not able to do what they wanted (Time/budget limit, etc...?).

Well, sure, I agree with that. But the fact is, me, (like some other players I guess) was loving the bursting weapon, I've play with that one, and that's why it's the one I want! It's with this one I've butcher Frankie my first time! But I totally understand your point of making it like dev originally wanted. (so, follow my other suggestions and IMPROVE VINDICATOR instead!)

Florek

• Bang Bang Smash
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 04:23:36 pm »

My only suggestions about Gatling can be:
- add Penetrate or No burst spread perk (accurate - 8-9/10 bullets from max distance)
            Avenger deals to BA from 35 hexes about 80-100 damage (1 toughness)
            Avenger deals to BA from 1 hex about 200 damage THEN
            Gatling always, from each distance should deals about 90-100 to metal, and 100-120 to BA
- MFC can still, but weapon should be usable agains metals and BAs

Anyone like this?

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 05:22:54 pm »

My only suggestions about Gatling can be:
- add Penetrate or No burst spread perk (accurate - 8-9/10 bullets from max distance)
            Avenger deals to BA from 35 hexes about 80-100 damage (1 toughness)
            Avenger deals to BA from 1 hex about 200 damage THEN
            Gatling always, from each distance should deals about 90-100 to metal, and 100-120 to BA
- MFC can still, but weapon should be usable agains metals and BAs

Anyone like this?

Oh yeah good idea, make it burst like the pancor! Also it seem logical and effective way to improve this weapon.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 06:14:30 pm »

I must say, i didn't think of the penetrate perk. It would defiently be a good idea for the Gatling Laser.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.