"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 28, 2024, 10:48:55 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xp penality if you die  (Read 3947 times)

Re: Xp penality if you die
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 09:37:28 pm »

Because they'll just level back up... plus just because you get to level 21 doesn't mean you stop gaining experience, after all.  There'd be a huge buffer before they started losing levels.

On top of which, if you start losing levels, what gets taken away? The game doesn't keep track of what you've spent your points on, and which levels you did so at, only your totals.  So getting knocked back levels would mean either giving the dead person more points to spend on next level-up, taking away random skill points and traits, or redoing the entire engine to accommodate this feature.

Also, this would change the dynamic of the game.  I can see people dropping all their stuff at their tents and getting their friends to kill them over and over, and abusing mentats in the process.  During the crash they'd get killed, lessening their skill point loss.  Then they'd take more mentats, get their skill points to the max, and do it all over again.

So no... I do not like this idea.  I do not like it in japan, with Godzilla and Rodan.  I do not like green eggs and ham; I do not like it, Jeosh I am.
Steve_Zissou: izual is very old school
Steve_Zissou: he likes the sound it makes when we whine at him
[TSAR]Jeoshua: It brings him pleasure... also chubbies
Izual: I live for that sound
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:03 pm »

Yeah, it was already discussed many times. There is one main technical problem with any de-leveling ideas: all your stats/skills/perks would have to be saved 21 times during a character progress, so the server would have a source to load characteristics of your guy from a previous level, whenever you die. Considering that there is 35k accounts on the server - multiply it by 21 and that's a lot of data.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:44:12 pm by Elmehdi »
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:27 pm »

Because they'll just level back up... plus just because you get to level 21 doesn't mean you stop gaining experience, after all.  There'd be a huge buffer before they started losing levels.

On top of which, if you start losing levels, what gets taken away? The game doesn't keep track of what you've spent your points on, and which levels you did so at, only your totals.  So getting knocked back levels would mean either giving the dead person more points to spend on next level-up, taking away random skill points and traits, or redoing the entire engine to accommodate this feature.

Also, this would change the dynamic of the game.  I can see people dropping all their stuff at their tents and getting their friends to kill them over and over, and abusing mentats in the process.  During the crash they'd get killed, lessening their skill point loss.  Then they'd take more mentats, get their skill points to the max, and do it all over again.

So no... I do not like this idea.  I do not like it in japan, with Godzilla and Rodan.  I do not like green eggs and ham; I do not like it, Jeosh I am.

lol mentats don't increase how many skillpoints you get

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 09:44:12 pm »

Oh well I was speaking from FO2 experience on the mentats... BUT MY POINT STILL STANDS! :o This shall not pass!
Steve_Zissou: izual is very old school
Steve_Zissou: he likes the sound it makes when we whine at him
[TSAR]Jeoshua: It brings him pleasure... also chubbies
Izual: I live for that sound
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 09:50:56 pm »

Oh yeah, just what we need. Griefers and PKs having another way to upset and discourage lower level players from playing.
People Suicide bombing and plasma grenading people in NCR more, just to level them down because of a grudge.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.