"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 19, 2024, 03:30:51 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Are you willing to take part in this event?

Hell yeah, get me in!
- 12 (37.5%)
Nah, i'm just looking!
- 20 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Battle of the Scribes Event#1 (Update)  (Read 13873 times)

Re: Battle of the Scribes Event#1 (Update)
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 07:58:31 pm »

I'll use the time to write a story myself and participate :P

Nexxos

• o_O
  • O_o
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 09:49:45 pm »

Very good event! It is nice to see some good writers and storytellers out there!

The winners:

1. Enzo
2. lagoupille
3. ErlBishop
4. NeoCraft

Enjoy your rewards!
“And we passed through the cavern of rats.

And we passed through the path of streaming flamethrowers.

And we passed through the faction of the blind.

And we passed through the slough of swarm.

And we passed through the vale of tears.

And we came, finally, to the ice caverns.
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »

thanks for this event (and rewards of course but it wasn't the goal). :)

i hope we'll be able to read here the stories. i'm sure it'll be interesting and maybe give some idea for some more participant next time ;)
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 10:15:22 pm »

Thanks to all who took part here. Even if it got a bit chaotic at the beginning i think it was ok in the end ;)...

Ill post the winning stories "soon" here. If you like to read the ones which didn't win please PM me about it.

Greets Baltha

Enzo

• Homeless wastelander
My story - Payback is a bitch
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 10:40:22 pm »

This happened long, long ago. I was heading from Hub to Boneyard. I've heard some rumours, that there is settlement of really tech-nerds and I was curious to find out, if it is true.
But the beginning of my trip was really nasty. I was wandering through the wastelands and looking for some water. It was high noon and I was really, really thirsty. Finally I found a little pond, but while approaching, I've figured out, that I found not only the pond, but a pack of radscorpions too. I cursed as a hell-spawn, but it was too late to run away, they were too close and I had to fight.
So I pulled hammer from my back and smashed with it the first of those sons of the bitches. Or maybe tried to smash, because in fact, I missed it and fell on dusty ground. Which was my lucky moment, because the claw of one radscorpion just snapped through the space, where was my neck second ago. Next few seconds rather than killing those beasts, I was trying not to be killed and then it comes. From behind some shrubs there appeared a man in leather, who was heading towards the pond. Which means towards me and my little friends. I screamed for help... and stop laughing at me, I was young and naive. I've said stop laughing! Oh yes, your guess is correct, he started shooting. And yes, your guess is correct again, shooting upon me. That was enough for me. Maybe I can dodge attacks of radscorps, but no I cannot dodge bullets, so I swiftly jumped on my legs and ran like hell through the desert. I stopped about two hours later, when I was sure no one is following me.
The point of whole story is... I encountered this shooting motherfucker a few days later, when he was surrounded by molerats, which were biting the shit out of him. So I watched with joy on this theater of life, and looted his dead body. Payback is a bitch.
Enzo Wolf
former President of Fenix Trading company
former Trading counsellor of former Gray Rock village :D

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 10:56:05 pm »

Dammit I wish I had entered....  Oh well you snooze, your throat gets cut by the Sandman...
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 11:00:16 pm »

ErlBishop
There is already the tenth day after the massacre in Redding. Our squad was unable to contact the main forces. The talented youngster who is knowledgeable in electronics, the only who could fix a broken radio, was shot one of the first in a night assault.
There were too many attackers we didn’t stand a chance. We were able to save few people from settlement, they told us that raiders searched prewar warehouse, or wealth buried under the city, the Redding’s people themselves don’t know what or where it is and does it exist at all. The persecution continues, Raiders cut us from retreating to Klamath, so uor only option was to go to the mountains at the north-east. Many of us are wounded, there is barely enough supplies for a week. It is difficult to maintain order, especially after a couple of volunteers went to divert the pursuit from us, I think everybody believes that they just went over to the bandits, we are doomed if this is true.
 One of my squad members who was guarding at night guard said he saw a group of miners talking far from others. I should watch them carefully.
Those bastards tried to steal the remaining provisions and to withdraw during night camp, I had to shoot the instigator, damn, we have so few people. There are storms in this time of year.
I've been thinking that we have got out from the Raiders, but apparently they want that fairytale wealth too much, much more than I thought, John caught Raider’s scout, but we couldn’t he said it would look like coyotes attack, he is better in this, I've never understood traces of animals and stuff. People are scared.
Elder said that there are abandoned mines in these mountains, I hope we can take hide there.
We found the entrance to the mine, rotten beams and heavy choking air are not what we was looking for. To be honest this place does not inspire confidence in me, but we don’t have a choice. According elder’s descriptions of the mine main shaft should be all way through mountain, we should prepare torches.
Condition of mines was even worse than I expected, an underground bugs undermined beams or it were earthquakes over the years that was corroding mines, but the main line was blocked. There is still hope that the sideway branches are interconnected and still passable.
Torches almost depleted, mine was much deeper than it seemed at first. We have to explore side tunnels with at least three men, since some insectoid creature dragged away a child, we rescued him, but it was too late, we did not have medication to to suppress the poisoning of numerous bites. People are scared, but there is no turning back.
All in vain, what a bitter irony, the rescue was so close.
The only safe line shaft was downhill, and as we went down lower, air became heavier. The tunnel widened into a wide cave, where we decided to leave the settlers, many of whom could not walk on their own, and split squad to guard and  to explore the path that would lead up. I do not remember these events clearly maybe due to asphyxia, even though it was easier because for me because of built-in filter of my mask-helmet and I was leading exploring group. We almost crossed cave, when it happened. In the dim light dispersed by chemical flare, no one noticed how creature crept up to Mike, it jumped on him and plunged fangs into throat, John frantically raised his machinegun, I tried to stop him, but my scream drowned in the deafening blast. Was it gas pocket or organic methane emission, I don’t know, I hate myself for not be able to prevent that, though I remembered about danger of underground explosions when it was too late.
 The explosion collapsed cave, burying my comrades and settlers. I think I was trying to dig out avalanche, nails broke, fingers bleeding, I remember I heard the muffled cries from the rubble, although now I understand that this is impossible and it has to be a hallucination from the shock.
Almost choked, I felt agonizing pain all over body, my instincts demanded to get out there, to survive and I left them, I wandered away from grave. I do not know how much I walked, my head throbbing pain, everything was swimming before my eyes. I think over time tunnel walls became straighter, more tech, but I didn’t notice that then. Without a clear goal, I walked along the tunnel my hand resting on the wall, in fear to lose only guide, and at some point I realized that I stand before crack  in some smooth thick concrete wall. That what appeared to be deep side tunnels of mines, were tunnels connecting the old bunker built in mountain. Fate jokes on me, I found treasure that raiders were looking for, that what could save everyone. That crash, which destroyed the mine, opened a passage into the bunker shelter. Oddly enough, everything inside remained relatively untouched, stocks of military rations could be enough for settlers in the coming months, if not for years. As far as I understand basic mechanisms were working, I found a serviceable radio, but after configuring it, when I heard callsigns of main base I just don’t know what to say to them ...
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 11:13:52 pm »

Lagoupille

*Holodisk found on a dead body near a small farm*

Hi Jack,
you should be surprised to see that i'm not dead dear brother, but it's a luck if i'm not...
The day after i leaved our farm i've been attacked by 3 pigrats, luckyly i had just the time to run into a cave
where i was able to hide myself and waiting for the night.
later in the morning i heard the noise of a battle which made me cautious. I crawled in the scrubs to see kind of highwaymen
who attacked a caravan. When i see one of these guyes shooted to death i took my chance in running to him and picked up his stuff
before running away. Ok, i can hear you laughing but it's true, i run a much since i travel...
So after that i had a small gun and some bullets. i felt much better to have that in my hand, my poor knife was a little bit useless
in the wasteland. Wasteland is much more dangerous as dad told us, leaving our farm was a mistake.
Anyway, after crossing the way of some big scorpions that i've killed with my new weapon, i've met
a traveller who wanted to go in the same direction so we walked together a couple of days.
he travelled for few weeks and had a crippled leg, it caused his death when we encountered a gang of raiders, he wasn't able to run away and a crazy woman burned him with a flamer.
She was laughing like a demon when doing this horror.
After that, i didn't stop walking for 3 days. i didn't want to take the risk they can catch me. Maybe one day i'll be able to forget this awfull smell
i keep in mind.
Finally, i succeed in joining Vault City. It's an horrible place where the citizens seem to think they are the only ones who can live.
They treat the no citizens as brahmine shit. Hopefully, i'm not there to become one of them and
i've met a man who can sale me a brahmin. It's expensive, our fruits aren't enough for the trade. So i'll work a few for him in cleaning the pen.
I hope i'll be back soon with a new brahmin.
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2010, 11:28:54 am »

4th place story, which was still missing here:

written by NeoCraft

He jerked the last clip of ammo out of his worn, sun faded harness and slammed it into the pistol. Tiny fragments of rock showered down on his head as the raiders peppered his diminuative cover with automatic weapons fire. He pulled the slide back, and the rusty metal screeched as a round was fed into the chamber.  How the fuck had he gotten here? Standing up quickly, sprinting to a nearby cave, he let off two 10mm bullets he had poured with his own hands. A flash of recollection, the heat of molten lead in a crucible, the smell of gunpowder. Snapping back to reality they had found purchace in the neck of one of the raiders, a puff of red mist followed by a great jet of blood into the wasteland. He stumbled then, admiring the shot, and as he lurched through mid-stride -- a sharp stab in the back... and the ground rushed up at him, unforgiving and hard as he slid to a halt. The mouth of the cave a few feet away, it looked to far now, but its blackness rushed in at him... He was in a field then, one that had only existed in polaroid photographs, the world green as far as he could see. He felt the the idylic world lurch as a sharp pain in his side brought him back, but for the briefest of moments, as a raider kicked him over onto his back. His eyes began to slowly unfocus as in his last seconds the muzzle flash punctuated his arrival into the blackness of eternity.

Lacan

• [TSAR]Sol & [TSAR]Ketur
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2010, 03:43:46 pm »

4th place Neocraft story is m favorite !

Good job writers, i hope we can read more in the future.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 07:15:46 pm »

ErlBishops story was my favourite, if it wasn't too long for the contest...
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 12:14:51 pm »

Yeah, i was checking amount of char in M. Word and looked at wrong number, it was 900 word but not chars, stupid mistake, i can write, but cant do math, lol ). Still dont know what i would cut from story if noticed overlenght  in time. Although I don't bother award, it was just fun to participate.
I kinda liked Neocraft's story, very colorful descriptions.
ps: thanks for appreciating by the way
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:23:46 pm by z0m2h14 »
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2010, 02:16:39 pm »

Some pics from event:

Participants are writing down their stories:

The Jury Members get all the Stories and later, after reading and discussing about them, they announce the rankings:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:20:57 pm by Balthasar »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.