Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Would you like this idea?

No.
Maybe.
Yes.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Name your weapons!  (Read 1867 times)

Name your weapons!
« on: April 17, 2010, 06:46:58 pm »

Yeah, so i thought about something like this while i was playing 2238 and got killed by other player while i had my best weapon with me. So the idea would be like this.
You could be able to change your weapons name for a price.
(EXAMPLE!)
You give a weapon to npc, that would offer to change the name of the weapon for a charge.
Like this, the weapons name is Avenger minigun And you could change it to what ever you want, changing name would give a little extra price to your weapon while bartering it to a npc.
This could be cool, because if you kill someone, and find weapon that haves totally unique name, you could just brag with it.
It would not help the game anyhow, well, maby make it a bit better... Nothing else.
Like you would be examining someone, and it would say   'You see slightly wounded man, he is carrying Atom's wrath'
Wouldnt that just be awesome?

Ps. Sorry about my english, i have been trying to improve it.

avv

Re: Name your weapons!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 06:52:04 pm »

If guns would ever become stackable, this would break it because shops could be filled with named guns. Unless the shopkeeper wiped off those writings.

But not bad idea, however it sounds pretty illogical that you can see tiny the text in somebody's gun from distance.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:54:52 pm »

mmm... I don't like the idea for some reasons:

- It's not an high priority change: I think it's better to adjust existent feature before add new ones.
- The change will decrease the benefit of Awareness perk: you can't understand what weapon the enemy is using.
- It could lead to a game entirely sorrounded by thousand and thousand of weapons with different names. But always the same.
Want to play Hardcore? Choose Melee!
I still fight for HtH rights. Join the cause in http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=3723.0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:56:12 pm »

If guns would ever become stackable, this would break it because shops could be filled with named guns. Unless the shopkeeper wiped off those writings.

But not bad idea, however it sounds pretty illogical that you can see tiny the text in somebody's gun from distance.
Well, fallout isint that realistic anyways, but it doesnt have to be like this, and yes. The shopkeepers should wipe the name of the gun. And if you would have named avenger minigun and normal avenger, they should become totally different weapons, not stacking.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 06:56:45 pm »

I'd rather customisable character descriptions come before naming your gun.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:58:39 pm »

mmm... I don't like the idea for some reasons:

- It's not an high priority change: I think it's better to adjust existent feature before add new ones.
- The change will decrease the benefit of Awareness perk: you can't understand what weapon the enemy is using.
- It could lead to a game entirely sorrounded by thousand and thousand of weapons with different names. But always the same.
Well, with awarness there should be writing like this, 'He is using atoms wrath-Avenger minigun.'
And the naming should cost really much, so only chosen and few could afford it, or make somekind of quest for it! Should be really hard. But you are right about that it isint high priority change, i stated that on my first post too.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »

Weapon modifications are really a good thing but I would rather want something like changing color of your weapon/armor  (not such a big deal with 3d models). Everywhere you go in military you can see paintings on soldiers weapons, helmets, aircrafts. So maybe some wicked icons, or stripes over weapons, some purely visual additions and such small stuff. Or maybe add knife at the top of your rifle and use it in mele combat or other small upgrades like this will be also nice. But naming our weapons? Well maybe in inventory description but not in combat log.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 09:21:58 pm »

Weapon modifications are really a good thing but I would rather want something like changing color of your weapon/armor  (not such a big deal with 3d models). Everywhere you go in military you can see paintings on soldiers weapons, helmets, aircrafts. So maybe some wicked icons, or stripes over weapons, some purely visual additions and such small stuff. Or maybe add knife at the top of your rifle and use it in mele combat or other small upgrades like this will be also nice. But naming our weapons? Well maybe in inventory description but not in combat log.
The small icons would be pretty hard to see from the top down view.
Only icon you would be able to see would be on your helmet and armor!
But wouldnt it be amazing just to find weapon that haves unique name.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 11:42:45 pm »

I dont like this idea, its not Diablo  ::)
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 12:21:17 am »

While I don't think it would really be an issue with weapons being 'unique' since deterioration and ammo make it so weapons never stack (even if they have the same deterioration/ammo?), I agree with the points Ombra makes. People would use a system like this to bypass the Awareness perk and could even mask a weapon to have the name of another weapon (Unless it named weapons like [10mm Pistol named 'Organ Grinder'] or something similar...)

Regardless, I'd much rather they work on higher priority features and core mechanics before adding a fluff feature like this.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:20:23 am »

You forget that people will use names like "Rotating Dildos" as a name for Avenger for example.

Galgameth

• Magic Is Everywhere
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:06:34 am »

I don't think the naming weapons would work, as this would take a lot away from the Awareness perk, as you would not be able to see the type of weapon you are up against...

I was thinking along these lines and i thought as so many weapons are traded in, if you for example take a weapon to a workbench and use a primitive tool/tool etc you could engrave your name/initials...

This could work on multiple levels, for example:

- Famous people, such as the "Best Killer" etc could engrave their names and then, just like signed football shirts, baseball bats etc it's value increases, as a collectors item...(which leads me onto my next point)

- Collecters...everyone loves collecting things, especially in fallout as you lose it so quickly people stockpile... So people will end up collecting weapons say...of the "best killers" and they can marvel at it like a good coin collection...

- Equally sticking with the naming of the weapon itself, you could just etch that name in....so for example "you see a 10mm pistol, 23% durability, 10/12 shots, it has 'Little Diddly' etched onto the barrel"...nice ans short and simple...and having this instead of switching the name, adds to the perk rather than take away from it. And this links in with the etching of initials or player names.

- And again the obvious benefit of having a bonus to RP...Player's are more likely to play a role if they have more incetive to involve more of their personality in the game, and this would be another bit of simple cleverness to add...

Sorry to take away from original point a bit, but i thought my thoughts may be useul...   ;)

May a schizophrenic pop star inject poison into your bookcase!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 02:39:18 am »

Yes i agree idea would have sense only if our weapons were more "custromable" then name were are be nice. Like: 10mm pistol with Extended Magazine,silencer and laser pointer.  Then u can name it and got something like: "he carry highly modificated version of 10mm pistol with engraved Lilly was here" otherwise its without any sense imo
Well who you think im after now, bitch? Run, mother  f*cka, run...
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 04:03:36 am »

knife + gun  with wooden handle = carving your name into the handle? i would.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 01:06:03 pm »

I don't think the naming weapons would work, as this would take a lot away from the Awareness perk, as you would not be able to see the type of weapon you are up against...

I was thinking along these lines and i thought as so many weapons are traded in, if you for example take a weapon to a workbench and use a primitive tool/tool etc you could engrave your name/initials...

This could work on multiple levels, for example:

- Famous people, such as the "Best Killer" etc could engrave their names and then, just like signed football shirts, baseball bats etc it's value increases, as a collectors item...(which leads me onto my next point)

- Collecters...everyone loves collecting things, especially in fallout as you lose it so quickly people stockpile... So people will end up collecting weapons say...of the "best killers" and they can marvel at it like a good coin collection...

- Equally sticking with the naming of the weapon itself, you could just etch that name in....so for example "you see a 10mm pistol, 23% durability, 10/12 shots, it has 'Little Diddly' etched onto the barrel"...nice ans short and simple...and having this instead of switching the name, adds to the perk rather than take away from it. And this links in with the etching of initials or player names.

- And again the obvious benefit of having a bonus to RP...Player's are more likely to play a role if they have more incetive to involve more of their personality in the game, and this would be another bit of simple cleverness to add...

Sorry to take away from original point a bit, but i thought my thoughts may be useul...   ;)

This is what i was after for!
It would add roleplaying to the game, and it would add to avarness!
And the item collecting is one thing i was after for too when i said only few could do the naming.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 25 queries.