"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 19, 2024, 09:06:17 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Occasions for occasional player  (Read 7303 times)

Re: Occasions for occasional player
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 10:25:18 pm »

I have a SG craft 2/ PvE char and I haven't yet crafted much, nor trading with players. Only crafted some 10mm and Shotgun Shells, cause ammo is never enough after Wipe. I'm something like lvl 6 and have some Snipers, Combat Shotguns, Hunting and Scoped Hunting, Assault Rifles, all kind of pistols and enough Armors too. On that level it was risky to get them and ofc I died few times, but it was worth it. I'm playing totally alone cause my mates haven't made characters after Wipe.
The game is not that hard at all, only problem is exp. for me. Exp. I was making with my versatile char few days, you will make like in one day if you invest soon in Outdoorsman (just tested with new char).
Of course, if only 3 hours per week, then you're very limited. Cause on some sort of entertainment you need some equipment and experience and you must invest some time to get them, with 3hrs/week it can be quite a long run.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:28:53 pm by Raegann »
Some folks got 'em and some have not
But these are the breaks
Break it up, break it up, break it up
Break down!
..guess who

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 11:55:57 pm »

I played since the start of beta and i found only few team funny actions. I will try to describe it here, i hope my memory will not fail me.

1) PvP. There are many kinds of PvP. Huge battles (40+ players), normal battles, suicide (mostly :) ) attacks, hit and run attacks, hit and hide attacks, caravan traps, caravan traps breaking, turnbased fights, "ares type" events,.. In current game mechanism, i must have at least 100 hp if i want to survive first enemy burst with minigun type of weapon. I think, that enemies can burst 2-3x with their guns per "turn". So this kind of action is forbidden for me, because with current experience system, i will have enough level to join this in june. (i still need to get my gear,...).  This is not crying, this is statement of fact. I must add, that VSB reinvented guerilla attacks last era, when our players, poor equiped, defended city against enemy CA and best weapons formations. This kind of fights were almost best fights in last era, in my chart of battles are in same positions like huge Klamath 15+ minutes long fights. But seriously, the chance of wining is very small and all of us had lvl21 combat chars.

My little solution: disable (or reduce) experience decreasing, if your char is not logged for some time (days, weeks). Set this reduction to smart level, so regural players will have still big advantage against players like me, which will spend only few hours per werrk ingame. From my point of view, i will have motivation to stay ingame and i will have chance to make up for lost time in case of my character leveling.

2) PvE. There is not many PvE occasions. I know, there was one cave quest added, but not random one, so if you do that, you dont need to repeat it again (i think that it is not entertaining to repeat same quest again and again). In VSB, there were caravan hunting PvE actions last era, until developers reduce the amount of LSW in one caravan. They wanted to balance economics (they did not succeed), but they ruined the PvE action, because after that, there was better to hunt it alone because of number of LSW. Sometimes, i went with friends to caves, hunt there deathclaws and looking for some stuff. I dont know, if this is possible now. Also team centaurs/floaters hunting was team action i remember, but it was not fun, it was duty because of leveling.

3) Quests. I dont think that name quest is correct for that kind of NPC interaction. Most of them are only for first few levels to get first gear and experience, little of them are for more than one player. There is not backgound story, because (i think) that developres dont think about adding it. There is not any RPG quest, with many tipes of conversation topics, possibilities of actions and consequence in gameworld.

I.E.:  Raiders: I can join raider faction, after that, i am unable to get to most cities, because everybody will attack me on sight (raiders will still attack me in encouters too :/ ). But, why is not raider "gang" something like combination of player faction and NPC faction. There can be organized raids on cities with players and NPC every (2nd, 3rd,...) day, only depends if you can find enough players, with ranks depending on kill/death ratio, number of finished actions,... . You will also get some experience points from succesfull raids, stuff (maybe stuff from encounters, where raiders were succesful). Also, you will have possibility to join encounters on the side of raiders, so i can spend my 2-3 hours per week with raider city attacks/encouters attacks and i will be satisfied. Yes, it will be easiest way how to exist in fonline (because of bad karma in cites), but it will hold many players ingame and there is disadvantage of bad karma = you cant vist cites.

Also, i am little sad. I suggested Nuclear waste storage quests and there were many similar suggestions from another players/GMs. My suggestion needs only to create little new map cca 20*20 hex which you can conncect with existing caves using green exid grid hexes. This kind of actions will be exactly that i need to return for few hours a week.. i will make char, which will be useful for team. Not pure PvP char, but scientist/thief/demoexpert/repairman/spokesman/doctor/scout ..... neccesary to succes in this kind of repetable quests. This will allow me to join this team action. I could choose from kind of chars depending on my time avaibility. It is sad, because devs every wipe wants to modify game economics and after last wipe you add many new maps (mining,..), more bigger that one map i needed (one map with random content or more very similar maps) only for mining.

4) GM organized events. It is not magnet for me, if i am not ingame. But i have one idea.. Why not to combine the NPC quests with existing players/GMs. I.e., King of Wasteland, Vedaras I. Latvian (hope your bro is healty again) can be one link in existing quest chain. I think that many players will join this kind of quests because of fun.

5) Using game client as special kind of chat aplication ("NCR chat client") :)

So long and THANKS for all the fish!

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 08:45:12 am »

Wow, are we playing a new game ? Let-s-ignore- all-posts-above-and-post-my-own-idea-regardless-of-everything-that-has-been-said ? Oh wait. It's not a new game.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

avv

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 09:40:28 am »

1) PvP. There are many kinds of PvP. Huge battles (40+ players), normal battles, suicide (mostly :) ) attacks, hit and run attacks, hit and hide attacks, caravan traps, caravan traps breaking, turnbased fights, "ares type" events,.. In current game mechanism, i must have at least 100 hp if i want to survive first enemy burst with minigun type of weapon. I think, that enemies can burst 2-3x with their guns per "turn". So this kind of action is forbidden for me, because with current experience system, i will have enough level to join this in june. (i still need to get my gear,...).  This is not crying, this is statement of fact. I must add, that VSB reinvented guerilla attacks last era, when our players, poor equiped, defended city against enemy CA and best weapons formations. This kind of fights were almost best fights in last era, in my chart of battles are in same positions like huge Klamath 15+ minutes long fights. But seriously, the chance of wining is very small and all of us had lvl21 combat chars.

My little solution: disable (or reduce) experience decreasing, if your char is not logged for some time (days, weeks). Set this reduction to smart level, so regural players will have still big advantage against players like me, which will spend only few hours per werrk ingame. From my point of view, i will have motivation to stay ingame and i will have chance to make up for lost time in case of my character leveling.

Don't you realize the problem isn't slow exping but the fact that the game encourages making pumped powerbuilds if you want to do any serious pvp. If you only have few hours per day to play this game you should suggest that everyone with a gun and knowledge about pvp should be able to participate in pvp.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Lordus

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 12:59:56 pm »

Wow, are we playing a new game ? Let-s-ignore- all-posts-above-and-post-my-own-idea-regardless-of-everything-that-has-been-said ? Oh wait. It's not a new game.

And you think that "repetable quests" like deliver meat jerky is kind of action that i will enjoy ingame? Do you think that this is the point of why i will return to the game? "Hello mr. Grisham, give me meat bag..." (after 30seconds with 100+ outdoorsman, in NCR) "i have meatballs from mr. Grisham, give me 100 coins". Oh, super, i enjoeyd it too much. Maybe i will find another hour which i can spend with doing this entertaiment works.

Where is teamwork with my old mates? Grisham? Or kill them all trainstation quest? Ehm, you are not serious, arent you Izual?

I create serious idea. Look, summer is comming, i dont think that this game is playing only nerds, who does not know what is sun, summer, hot weather and ice beer, nice girls, football etc.. So, ok, enjoy summer player migration to the real world.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:06:40 pm by Lordus »

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 01:19:14 pm »

Well if you don't enjoy the game, you're free to leave, really, I don't really see the point here.

About enjoyable game, read my first post in this topic carefully, I didn't say that you should enjoy playing only because of the repeatable quests. Fact is, like in all RPG, you enjoy the most the fact your character is getting more and more skilled. About teamplay, ask the current teams if they enjoy playing in team (with teamplay), and we'll see.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 02:44:20 pm »

Don't you realize the problem isn't slow exping but the fact that the game encourages making pumped powerbuilds if you want to do any serious pvp. If you only have few hours per day to play this game you should suggest that everyone with a gun and knowledge about pvp should be able to participate in pvp.
True, true.
Only problem is that for it to work, either damage would need to be horribly reduced, or chance to one-shot kill any player increased. That's because in PvP only who dies matters, so unless you can cause others to die faster than you, you are cannon fodder in PvP.
<Izual> Let's crash server

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 08:24:40 pm »

About enjoying game:

If others players both in gangs and loners can enjoy game and find it interesting and if you cant, maybe problem is in you not in game? Try to play in different style its role playing game after all :>
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 08:58:35 pm »

Its not ONLY RP game.
Avatar: Equality of rights for ghouls!

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 09:50:58 pm »

No. But it's a Role-Playing Game, as vedaras said.
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 10:04:28 pm »

Well if you don't enjoy the game, you're free to leave, really, I don't really see the point here.

If I got 10 exp every time I see this sentence then I would be 21 lvl already. What argument is that? Why do you keep writing it every time someone says he is unsatisfied with FOnline? If we had wanted to leave this game then we wouldn't have cried about it at forums. We are trying to change things here and if you don't like it, you're free to not respond to them, really...

The thing is some changes has been made. But problem with them is they came way too prematurely since game lacks content and is very limited by it. And also the problem is that some of these changes are affecting certain groups of players way way more than others and thats why we are having these fights on forums. If crafters had to level all the way up to 21st lvl in order to craft best items then these topics would look completely differently. So tell me whats so bad on that we want to enjoy this game as we did in the past? Why not to make some compromises UNTIL more content is added? Then I think nobody will protest against slow exp if people will be able to get busy with many different and interesting things even as low levels but why on earth do we have such changes implemented now when the game is still more or less flat?
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 10:11:04 pm »

for f sake cut the crap - its not some award wining record breaking mmo that needs to maximalise amount of players. Suggestiosn are welcomed and those go to suggestion forum. Whining is not , some people enjoy the game you dont understand that - your problem we are not here to convince you to play.

You are free to develop the game your way ... but wait it needs knowlage, time and dedication ... 

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 10:34:49 pm »

We are trying to change things here and if you don't like it, you're free to not respond to them, really...

Yeah, you know what ? I think that's what I'm going to do - and junking threads of course. After a hundred threads all saying the same things and after a thousand posts of ignoring the others, I finally understood why so few people are reading those useless and mindless arguments, and why nobody actually answers it ; because it's useless. Should have listened to that guy that told me not to waste my time posting in whining threads here. Yay, what a change you've done here Sius, amazing ! =)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:38:10 pm by Izual »
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »

Man you rocks!  :o
for f sake cut the crap - its not some award wining record breaking mmo that needs to maximalise amount of players.
And how does this have anything to do with my post? You think that making game more friendly for occasional/newbie/solo players is bad thing to do? Then think again...

Suggestiosn are welcomed and those go to suggestion forum. Whining is not , some people enjoy the game you dont understand that
WTF? I don't understand that some people enjoy the game? Man what drugs are you taking? Read first then reply. It works fine for others you might try it as well.

your problem we are not here to convince you to play.
Ah I see. Because I can't play FOnline every day for X hours then I should not be allowed to enjoy it?
How long does it take to add ingame content? And now how long does it take to change exp income so those players who don't enjoy FOnline right now would be back in the game again? First is in the best case matter of months. Second is matter of hours. Both result in FOnline being entertaining game for everyone. Finally got my point here or should I draw a picture for you?

You are free to develop the game your way ... but wait it needs knowlage, time and dedication ... 
+10 exp.

Lordus

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 10:46:47 pm »

I have very limited time which i can spend in virtual entertaiment world. I wrote it up. So, i can invest few hours in some game and i cant find nothing entertaining if i spend it in fonline. If i will have more time, i will try to play like previous eras.. very quickly level up my combat char, so i can join PvP and then, when i have done my char, i will try to make another build and level it up in free time, where i am not in PvP or crafting in the base. This is my point of view on Fonline world. Stupid first gear quests is not the reason for playing this game. Only PvP, or some kind of team PvE (which does not exist after 9 months of this project, very very sad) is reason, why i will play this game. And of course, friends. But i will rather spend 3 hours in pub with my teamates, then 3 hours ingame, because of no benefit from this.

It is sad that this project made one big leap, but only very little step if you look second time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.